1892 Shoulder Board/Kepi Emblems

didn't Jeremiah also do a comparrison thread on these vs known originals? I know I sent him on of my two quite awhile back

-Brig
GySgt/USMC/0369
RSU-Quantico

"FOR OUR TOMORROWS, THEY GAVE THEIR TODAYS"
RIP
Sgt Jesse 'Jeff Nasty' Balthaser
Sgt John P Huling
Cpl Carlos 'Gilo Monster' Gilorozco
Cpl Stephen C 'Socks' Sockalosky
LCpl Joshua A 'Scottie' Scott
LCpl Jason Lee 'Birdman' Frye
LCpl Nicolas B Morrison
LCpl Jon T Hicks
LCpl Osbrany 'Oz' Montes De Oca
Pvt Lewis T D Calapini
'The SOI 5'

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didn't Jeremiah also do a comparrison thread on these vs known originals? I know I sent him on of my two quite awhile back

Actually it was Gary & Bob... mentioned mentions this thread in his previous post (page 1 of this thread) above... s/f Darrell

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...=9168&st=20

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I spoke to Peter last night.... he still does a few shows and travels a bit and collects high end decorations. I asked him about the specifics of his old catalog and listing of the 1876-1904 EGA in question. He told me that the EGA which I posted and he sold back in the early 1980's was manufactured by Horstmann of Philadelphia. According to Peter... Stokes-Kirk bought up all of Horstmann's stock when they closed their factory. bobgee mentioned that his epaulette was marked by Horstmann.... which confirms to what was told to me by Peter. What may also be of interest to anyone that claims or thinks that these are Stokes-Kirk or Bannerman copies is that Stokes-Kirk and Bannerman never made copies or insignia they were solely dealing in high end military surplus..... this comes from a man that had been buying from them both for longer then most of us have lived. In short just so that there is no misunderstanding Horstmann made the original 1876-1904 EGA they also made the epaulettes. Stokes-Kirk and Bannerman did not make insignia repro or original insignia they dealt in high end surplus only. I asked about dies and he told me that many of them had been purchased by the Smithsonian during the period when the manufacturers went out of business. I have heard that the government controlled insignia dies. I asked him if he knew who was making re-strikes of the 1876-1904 EGA and he said that it is a guy by the name of Ray Di Rita and much of what he repros is sold by S&S Firearms. I asked him if Ray used original dies and he said no..... he had them made up. I called S&S and they told me that they still sell Ray's repros..... their catalog S&SFirearms is on line and you can buy one of their repro 1876-1904 EGA (MC40) for $7.00.

Well, I got the 1925 Bannerman's catalog reprint today and it is quite interesting. First of all, although they did indeed sell original Civil War contract items from both sides, they were also making copies.

And Bannerman's did indeed make EGA copies in 1925. They were "made to order" and "silver plated." Since they were made to order I would suspect they did not sell "thousands" of these. I will look through the rest of the catalog for more EGA's but, again we can now confirm they made repops as early as 1925.

These images were taken from page 267 of the 1925 catalog.

Bannerman25ega.jpg

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

Thanks, for this information but for now I'll go with what Peter Hlinka told me. In my opinion "made to order" can mean that they had another company make them for them on order and they just brokered the deal. What you call a repop was probably an original "from the factory" made by Bailey, Banks & Biddle, Hilborn-Hamburger, or Imperial Insignia Manufacturing Company.

• 2 years later...

I bought this nickel EGA from a dealer who is an old friend this past weekend. (This has nothing to do with the topic but my friend is a Marine Veteran who served in Vietnam. He suffers terribly from exposure to Agent Orange and is in constant pain. I wish people would realize how much our veterans suffer from their service. Sorry, but I had to say that). He told me that this EGA has been in his collection for years and he bought it from a collector who bought it in the early 1950's. I read everything on the Reference Section on the nickel EGA's and decided to check this piece out. I looked at it under a microscope and saw that the ends of the wire prongs were the same nickel as the rest of the EGA. Some people said that these prongs were stainless steel. The prongs were easily bendable which is not a trait of stainless steel. I took a very fine file and filed the end of one of the wire prongs and under the nickel was brass. I then took my file and filed a tiny spot on the edge of the EGA. Under the nickel is brass. I then examined the lead solder under the microscope. The solder had been plated with nickel. I could see some oxidation and the powder that you see on old solder in and over tiny cracks in the plating. My conclusion after examining the EGA was that the piece was stamped out of brass. Brass wire prongs were soldered on by someone who really knew how to solder and the entire piece was nickel plated. A very professional job. The solder didn't look terribly old with the naked eye but under the microscope was old and oxidized at the cracks. The nickel is shiny but I have nickel plated swords and revolvers which have been well cared for and are from the late 1900's that are just as shiny. I am new to collecting EGA's but I do know about new and old metal and period techniques used to produce EGA's . l think this an old EGA not a recent re-strike.

Dick

post-9487-1318869383.jpg

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I guess that I am beating a dead horse since no one seems interested in the topic. but, for what it is worth, I think many of the nickel two pronged EGA's were produced as Military Band ornaments by Horstmann etc. around the turn of the century. Every small town, city, fraternal organisation, school, college etc had a military band. There were thousands of those bands and some had to be Marine Corps themed. Back in the 1970's I bought a hundred or so blue felt and pith helmets with eagles, spikes, plumes and chords from the local Elks. They were for the Elks Military Band around 1910 (I sold them complete for $25.00 each. I still have a bag of white Infantry horsehair plumes somewhere). The covers at the Marine Museum with the nickel EGA's probably have their original New Bedford, Catawissa, Pawtucket etc Military Band ornaments c 1900-1910.

Dick

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I guess that I am beating a dead horse since no one seems interested in the topic.

26 hours and you declare it a lost cause?

Patience, lad, patience.

Keep in mind that probably 99% of EGA collectors will read this with interest (and 39 have as of this writing) but will be shy about posting a reply since you did some thorough analysis that's beyond the scope of what most collectors do. There are indeed many unanswered questions about the history of EGA's and your post helps in our understanding.

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

• 3 months later...

Fellow forum members:

You are in the Marine Corps EGA reference section. This area is were posts from the Marine Corps, USMC EGA discussion section are moved for permanent retention and education about the history of the Eagle, Globe and Anchor. As time moves forward there maybe additional information the EGA Moderators wish to add or will add to this specific post. We ask for your input as well.

We encourage further comments about this post and its content. In order to do so, you will need to start a new post in the USMC EGA discussion area which is listed in the main page under insignia. And as needed we will be pleased to move any new and or valued information that is derived from your post (and subsequent comments) into this reference area as its own standing post.

Please be advised; posting and or editing is restricted on Eagle, Globe and Anchor emblem threads; to moderator's and forum staff.

The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps. (General A. A. Vandegrift, USMC, 5 May 1946)