MCAS Aerial Views

Mark M

Picked up a lot of aerial photos last week of mostly MCAS that date from the 1960s to the 1980s. Some were identified, some not. Photos were about 2 X 3 and in great shape. Can anyone ID the unknown ones?

Not sure of this one but from the photo it appears to be helo and small aircraft only.

post-569-1288915966.jpg

I had to reduce the photo a lot to get them to fit, but there are several dozen helos parked on the pads in that photo!

post-569-1288916156.jpg

Another unknown airfield and the photo is dated 1971.

post-569-1288916441.jpg

Hey Mark!

I'm thinking this one might be MCAS Camp Pendleton, looking at the layout of the roads and the terrain. Tough to tell at this resolution, can you "zoom" in at all?

Semper!

Ski

Hey Mark!

I'm thinking this one might be MCAS Camp Pendleton, looking at the layout of the roads and the terrain. Tough to tell at this resolution, can you "zoom" in at all?

Semper!

Ski

I think you called that one Ski, but in looking at Google maps, you can tell that MCAS CP has changed a lot since that black and white photo was taken, but a couple of key points still match closely, plus the overall layout with all the buildings south of Vandegrift gives it away (as does the typically dry Southern California creek bed north of the runways).

cpair.jpg

Here's another angle on those old blimp hangers at Tustin. You can drive almost right up to these and they are impressively large. I did so a couple years ago and near them you can still some old Marine Corps squadron signs on some of the smaller buildings.

tustin.jpg

teufelhunde.ret
This is MCAS Tustin in California. Formerly NAS Santa Ana and home to blimps, hence the giant hangars.

01_small.JPG

Mark, my hunch was right... ;)