23rd Infantry Division

k98_man

Does anyone have any information on the 23rd Infantry Division?

I have talked to a veteran who said they entered europe on D-day + 15 and was in the battle of the bulge, but on Wikipedia it says the 23rd Infantry Division was in the pacific the whole war! ermm.gif

Does anyone have any information on the 23rd Infantry Division?

I have talked to a veteran who said they entered europe on D-day + 15 and was in the battle of the bulge, but on Wikipedia it says the 23rd Infantry Division was in the pacific the whole war! ermm.gif

23rd ID was better known as the Americal Div -- formed in the Pacific from assorted independent units -- AMERIcans in New CALidonia, I believe. I suspect the vet was in the 23rd Infantry which was part of 2nd ID -- ask him what his shoulder patch looked like -- If it was the black shield with Indianhead, it was second. If blue shiels with southern cross constellation it was the 23rd ID and he doesn't know where he was!

G

The 23rd Infantry Regiment was part of the 2nd Infantry Division. So it would be easy for someone to confuse the division with the regiment. Gil is correct about the 23rd Infantry Division. The 23rd Infantry Regiment landed in France on June 12, 1944. So he is not too far off in his dates. The 23rd Infantry Division was made up of national guard units in the Pacific Theater.

Thank you very much. I'm sure he knows where he was so he must have been 23rd Regiment in the 2nd ID. Thanks a lot guys. This makes it easier to research! thumbsup.gif