eBay Jokes

Dave

I like how they are all playing dumb, by taking bad uniforms and using descriptions like, "I think it's WWII", or pleading complete ignorance altogether.

Not only that Pacific Theater ribbon ..... the 4th Armored NEVER was in the Pacific! ..... but also a 50s type patch of the 4th Armored.

If he was Tank Destroyer, he probably was 704th TD Battalion as that's how many men wore their patches (got this from 704th TD Veterans).

BUT ..... there was never a Lt. Minier in this unit.

Thanks posting this one, I had a good laugh with it.

So far 4 bids on it and price going towards 51 USD.

Unbelievable.

Erwin

Here's another one to scratch your head at....as well all know guys love Tank Destroyer stuff! Why on earth would an officer have a European theater and Pacific theater on one uniform? Man he must of got around....."not" oh and not to mention the fact unless he was a former enlisted man....he would not have a good conduct either. That's my first observation.... then you could go further with the thread.......new looking patches....etc etc....

Check it out....

Nice attempt but not buying it!!!!!!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/WW2-Named-Tank-Destroy...1QQcmdZViewItem

David thumbdown.gif

I think some have more money than brains, as long as the uniform is well photographed, some people buy into it regardless.

While all of the uniforms are highly suspect, I wanted to point out that SOME soldiers did serve in both theaters. Just keep that in mind while evaluating a WWII uniform. While it might raise an eyebrow, it still can be within the realm of possibility.

Patriot

It's definitely possible, especially if a service member was in Europe for a period of time but didn't have enough points or was transferred to the PTO.

It's definitely possible, especially if a service member was in Europe for a period of time but didn't have enough points or was transferred to the PTO.

Great point! Interestingly, I have an identified pilots uniform that belonged to a pilot who served in the "Mighty Eighth", and then flew as an Observer in the Pacific. He evidently wore one uniform for his ETO service, and yet another for his service in the PTO, each with their respective ribbon bars and wings. I have yet another uniform that is identified to an AAF Major, who has both ETO & PTO bars on his rack; all three uniforms having come directly from veterans. The variations in this field is mind boggling!

Patriot

Though I don't think our Maj / LTC shown above in 1945 would have that many campaign stars... while it could of happened and did with a select few it was not in the masses that you see on EBAY!! I for one would not touch a uniform that had conflicting ribbons like that unless the proof was there with a vets name and documents to back up the fruit salad.

David

That's going to be an issue with collectors in terms of picking up digis since the insignia can be easily swapped out. For instance, one could easily buy an original ACU jacket + SF/AB or any unit insignia + name tapes + any rank = big profit. This is why DCUs will be far more collectible by comparison.

Its just like Baker 502 told me when he bought some of my ACU's, you have to get a grouping of stuff and personal items to back up the claim on the ACU's cause once you pull off the nametags etc the only giveaway will be if the guy was deployed and turned his laundry in where the laundry service marked it with you last four of your ssn. While I get to turn in laundry this time and they marked all of my stuff even my towels with my last four, last deployment I had to hand wash my stuff on the patrol base I was at and had no one mark my stuff..... So thats will not always be the case but is an indicator if you see it out there.

David

badgeslg_053008.jpg

I think some have more money than brains, as long as the uniform is well photographed, some people buy into it regardless.

Well said. That is the source of the problem mate. People seem to be content to be victims. I guess ignorance is bliss.

Its just like Baker 502 told me when he bought some of my ACU's, you have to get a grouping of stuff and personal items to back up the claim on the ACU's cause once you pull off the nametags etc the only giveaway will be if the guy was deployed and turned his laundry in where the laundry service marked it with you last four of your ssn. While I get to turn in laundry this time and they marked all of my stuff even my towels with my last four, last deployment I had to hand wash my stuff on the patrol base I was at and had no one mark my stuff..... So thats will not always be the case but is an indicator if you see it out there.

David

badgeslg_053008.jpg

Thanks, that's a good tip actually. In the future, that may help sort out artificially patched up or "embellished" ACU jackets.