eBay Jokes

Dave

All:

I've started this thread to be a central depository for some of the crap that we routinely see on ePay or any other auction site. Please feel free to post the worst of the worst on here to educate those who might otherwise be mislead.

Without further ado, here's a good starter:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NAM-ERA-COMPLETE-UNIFO...1QQcmdZViewItem

A photo follows this post.

Enjoy!

Dave

eBayJoke1.jpg

The only thing that this jacket would be missing would be jump wings, a pilot and navigator wings, and why not throw in a Combat Medics Badge???

Chris

Naaah...instead of jump wings, they should be HALO wings and a SEAL trident! "Served with Special Forces". LOL

Haha, Jesus, what didn't that guy do :lol:

Funny Funny and people are actually bidding, well I guess if they can sell his ribbons off and stuff then they may come out ahead. He sure went a lot of place and has a lot of more modern awards for not having a Vietnam ribbon, why didn't they tack on a EGA and a Air Force visor spray painted green :lol:

..... He sure went a lot of place and has a lot of more modern awards for not having a Vietnam ribbon,... :lol:

I believe his Vietnam awards are classified TS. They could sell the ribbons to you, but then they would have to kill you! :rolleyes:

Laury Allison

Looks like a bunch of those "commemorative" ribbons that are available commercially. They couldn't get the Federal awards in the right order or even right side up in some cases (the EAME Campaign Ribbon is upside down).

There is a lot of other stuff wrong with this uniform too.

laughing1.gif

"bird colonel epalets "

What exactly are these??? A cross between ***epaulettes** and colonel rank insignia? Must be rare...

Old McDonald had a BULL.... A bull-**** here, and a bull-**** .......... You know the rest...

I believe his Vietnam awards are classified TS. They could sell the ribbons to you, but then they would have to kill you! :rolleyes:

I think the correct classification of his awards would be BS.

This might not be the best place for this but looking at this uniform reminds me of an experience I had at the Wall on Memorial Day a couple years ago.

I go down there every Memorial Day with a Marine buddy. He was in 3/5, went over with the battalion in 1966, and commanded a platoon during Operation Hastings. He and I had overlapping tours in Nam, we did not know each other in Nam. We have, however, become extremely close friends over the years.

We always arrive early (about 0600-0630) so we can pay our respects to our fallen buddies and get out before all the posers, pretenders, and media clowns arrive to turn the solumn occasion into a circus. Anyway a couple years ago, after paying our respects, we walked over to the Lincoln Memorial as we always do. The WW-II memorial had just been dedicated on the Sarurday before and we decided to walk over and visit it. On the way, we chatted with a couple "Walking Dead" vets (one on crutches and missing a leg above the knee), and then to the memorial where we marveled at it. The result was that we stayed later than we normally do. As we walked back past the Vietnam Memorial, we decided to sit on one of the benches near the statues and flagpole for a couple minutes. That's when I saw "him."

Off in the distance I saw a tall, skinny guy with long, wild hair and a scraggly beard weaving down the sidewalk from Constitution AV toward the walkway that leads along the Wall. He had on ragged jeans and an Army blouse with S/SGT chevrons. He also had a ton of ribbons and full-sized medals pinned on it. In addition to the normal "everyman medals for Nam service, he was wearing a Purple Heart w/1 gold star andd 2 oak leaves, an Army comm w/V, Navy Comm w/V, Bronze Star w/V and 2 gold stars and an oak leaf, a DFC, a Silver Star w/1 Gold Star, a DSC AND a Navy Cross w/an OAK LEAF.

My buddy wanted to immediately knock him out but I held him back and decided to chat with the freak a bit. I asked him about his medals and with whom he had served and he gave me the old "it was in a secret Army unit that he couldn't talk about" reply. I was having to physically restrain my buddy at this point while I continued to talk to this "gentleman." I asked him if he had served with a Marine or Navy unit or with any Marines or Sailors. He said no, he earned all of his medals with the Army.

That was when I stated becoming angry myself and asked him if he knew anything at all about the decorations he was wearing. He gave me a blank stare and I called his attention to the fact he was wearing several medals/devices that were issued by the Department of the Navy and asked him how he got them since he said he had no association with the Navy/Marines at all.

He then said I didn't know what I was takling about and told me to f&%k off........that's when I put him down. Three Park Rangers were standing nearby. they got between us and let the faker get up. A good sized collection of various vets were beginning to show up by this time. About 20 or so gathered around Me, my buddy, the rangers, and the faker and began issuing unkind comments to and about him.

After my buddy and I explained what happened and what prompted the altercation, the Rangers asked the dirt-bag about the medals and he was evasive with them as well. They then advised him it would be in the best interest of his own safety to remove the jacket and leave as expeditiously as possible since they could not guarantee his safety should he remain there.......and he did.

I felt badly afterward about suddenly losing my cool (I thought I was finally over all that) ........but not terribly badly about it. The worst was my buddy who ragged on me all the way home that I didn't let him hit hit the faker so I could save him for myself (untrue, it was unplanned until it just happened). When we've gotten together since; Memorial Days, Marine Corps Birthdays, or "just because," we always relive the event and he renews his chiding of me about it.

This might not be the best place for this but looking at this uniform reminds me of an experience I had at the Wall on Memorial Day a couple years ago.

Hmmm, I had not intended to write a thesis here. It seems that the anger and disdain I felt for that faker has not completely dissipated. Thinking about it brought the emotions back again and I sort of went on auto-pilot. My apologies for the lengthy and boring dissertation.

Hmmm, I had not intended to write a thesis here. It seems that the anger and disdain I felt for that faker has not completely dissipated. Thinking about it brought the emotions back again and I sort of went on auto-pilot. My apologies for the lengthy and boring dissertation.

Bill,

No need to apologize. Well done Sir!

reminds me of a story from the 70s. As a cop we stopped at a local cafe for coffee. (no donuts) There was a hippie wearing a shirt that said "Inmate- County Jail" after we detained him and jacked him around for some time we released him. I don't think he wore the shirt again. Even tho I never served I would have liked to have a shot at that dirtbag too. You shouldn't have restrained your friend.

After I got out of the reular Army I was a police officer for about 3 and 1/2 years. Once, at around mid-night I had parked across the street from one of the town's more notorious bars. The area I was parked in was a empty dirt lot with no lighting. As I sat there I noticed two men exit the bar with one wearing an Army field jacket. They stood in front of the bar for a few minutes and then one noticed my patrol car across the street. After a minute or so they crossed the street to where I was at. After making some safety precautions I rolled down the window as they approched. The one with the field jacket said something like, "You think you're such tuff shinola because your a police officer, don't you?" After starring at him for a few seconds he, "Well, I was a green beret in Vietnam - how's that for tuff shinola!" I replied, "That's great, you're to be commended." After a big smile came on his face I then asked, "What group were you with?" The smile left his face as he looked to his friend for a possible answer. After about 5 seconds the big smile appeared back on his face and he said, "The 82nd group, that's what, the 82nd group!" I just smiled, thanked them for the information and left.

P.S. I entered the Army too late for Vietnam. About four years ago I took my family to D.C. to see the Vietnam Memorial Wall. We didn't get there early in the morning like Bill, but at normal tourist hours I guess. The point is I am no pretender, posser or media clown and don't believe that the great majority of people who visit the Wall are either. They are people, just like myself, who go to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Capt.Confederacy
I think the correct classification of his awards would be BS.

I felt badly afterward about suddenly losing my cool (I thought I was finally over all that) ........but not terribly badly about it. The worst was my buddy who ragged on me all the way home that I didn't let him hit hit the faker so I could save him for myself (untrue, it was unplanned until it just happened). When we've gotten together since; Memorial Days, Marine Corps Birthdays, or "just because," we always relive the event and he renews his chiding of me about it.

Don't feel bad. That faker deserved a lot worse than he got.

Rest snipped for brevity)

About four years ago I took my family to D.C. to see the Vietnam Memorial Wall. We didn't get there early in the morning like Bill, but at normal tourist hours I guess. The point is I am no pretender, posser or media clown and don't believe that the great majority of people who visit the Wall are either. They are people, just like myself, who go to honor those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Don't get me wrong; I never meant to insinuate that YOU, your FAMILY, or EVERYONE who goes to the Wall on Memorial Day (or any day) is a pretender, poser, or media clown and I don't believe I said that.

The vast majority of people who visit the Wall every day are regular folks going to pay respects and I am thrilled for their interest. My point (my only point) was, and perhaps didn't express all that well, that Memorial Day at the Wall does draw that smattering of posers and pretenders. The media tends to turn it into a circus atmosphere by filmint these types as well as running around sticking a camera in people's faces at the Wall, particularly when a vet might be having an emotional moment that he/she might not want filmed.

However, most of the media types don't show up or start shooting their file footage/interest segments that early in the morning since in early hours the light is not really as favorable for the cutting their file footage. Also, most tourists or other folks who come, as you said, to pay their respects also normally don't show up that early.

Without the media or large numbers of regular folks present, there is little audience for these types to strut and show off. That's why my buddy and I go there early in the morning on Memorial Day. That's absolutely the only point I was making.

USMCRECON, I completely agree with you on the way you handled the "poser" and I would like to believe that I would have remained as calm as you seem to have. I can't fathom as to what people get out of wearing bogus medals due to the fact the only people who truly care, seem to be those that have a good idea as to what they represent. My wife could care less what the ribbons mean, but automatically thinks someone did alot when she sees a lot of ribbons. I would assume this is what these guys are going for as they certainly put little attention into getting their uniforms correct, but why not just put on a bunch of lesser awards instead of shooting for the top ones that will certainly draw unwanted attention?

As far as the EBay COL uniform it appears as the seller just slapped some stuff on there, including an Expert Marksmanship badge on an officer's uniform and wants the buyer to believe that an O-6 would have had no idea as to proper spacing. I see this seller selling AEF uniforms all the time, which although I have not purchased anything from him, puts his stuff and his knowledge of uniforms in serious doubt.

.........................As far as the EBay COL uniform it appears as the seller just slapped some stuff on there, including an Expert Marksmanship badge on an officer's uniform and wants the buyer to believe that an O-6 would have had no idea as to proper spacing. I see this seller selling AEF uniforms all the time, which although I have not purchased anything from him, puts his stuff and his knowledge of uniforms in serious doubt.

I agree wholeheartedly!

You have to remember these guys have a VERY low self esteem. Even taking that into consideration, it seems unbelieveable to a normal person that someone would go to such lengths to get attention. And what's even more unbelieveable is that they put themselves in a position to be exposed by trying to hang out with, or around the very people who are most likely to see through their charade.

Actually, it's really very sad.