U.S. NAVY AA RANGE INDICATOR 1942

UNCLE SAM

Salvage Sailor

Aloha,

What you have is a WWII USN "Range Indicator, Antiaircraft Gunnery, Mark 1". It is a hand held finder used to ascertain the range of an enemy aircraft based upon its known wingspan. They were only as accurate as the observers knowledge of aircraft identification and of course, how rapidly he could spot, ID, track and calculate the information to pass this on to the gunners (usually manning 20mm to 40mm guns or a 3" gun mount typically used on auxilliary ships and small craft. i.e. PT boats, LCT/LCI, PC's, etc). The observer held the indicator about two feet from his eye, measured the wingspan of the aircraft between the two wires, and then read off the estimated range to the gun captain.

The enemy aircraft noted on the indicators dial place the date of manufacture around 1942/1943. Note the Italian SM 579 Torpedo Bomber & the FW 187 that was never operationally deployed yet identified by US military intelligence as 'in production'. These aircraft are described in detail in training manuals used to prepare for the TORCH landings.

The problem with using this indicator was not only identifying the aircraft, but measuring the wingspan as the aircraft changed its angles of approach. Some enemy aircraft were easily identified due to their distinctive shape and engine placement, while others were more difficult to ID, especially when moving 300 to 400 MPH & the observer was standing upon a pitching deck with guns banging all around. Still, better than having no aids at all.

Once the first ranging shots were out and the gunners 'got the range', the fight was on.

Nice piece of USN gunnery equipment.

That is a lot of interesting info that you sent,thanks for taking the time to post,i learned a lot.you are correct about the date,it is dated 1942 in the lower right corner of the id plate....Thanks again.....Dave H

My uncle who was a submariner gave me one of these. I always wondered how fast you could use it with an airplane both approaching you and shooting at you.

Cobrahistorian

Hey guys, since this is a piece of antiaircraft equipment and doesn't relate to aircraft or aviation, I'm moving it to the Field Gear & Equipment forum.

Jon

The best part of this WWII piece is that it is made by the AC Gilbert as part of their contribution to the war effort! As you know, they made American Flyer trains, Erector sets, etc.

post-3673-1289161084.jpg