Civil War, Help identify this bullet

chuckciao

Greetings Forum Members,

While metal detecting, I found this bullet in an old park in Davenport, Iowa. I would appreciate some help in trying to identify whether or not it is from the CW Era. It is Just under .5" in Diameter, 1 3/16" Tall, Flat Bottomed, Two Ringer and has an unusual sharp conical tip. Any help in identifying this bullet and the era it is from would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Chuck

post-17410-1288785712.jpg

Chuck,

I am afraid that a picture here would be worth a thousand words. It is really impossible to tell from that statement. With that being said, if it is a dug bullet from that era, it will be made of lead and thus, should be almost white encrusted with lead oxide. Flat base bullets are very rare as we went from mostly sperical balls, straight to the minie ball round that has a cavity in the base. It is possible that this is a modern era bullet from a hand gun, quite hard to tell without a picture.

Also, let me be the first to welcome you to the board.

Visit my eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/crustyw4scorner/

35lyhcy.gif2d29461.gifixd2rm.gif

Chuck,

I am afraid that a picture here would be worth a thousand words. It is really impossible to tell from that statement. With that being said, if it is a dug bullet from that era, it will be made of lead and thus, should be almost white encrusted with lead oxide. Flat base bullets are very rare as we went from mostly sperical balls, straight to the minie ball round that has a cavity in the base. It is possible that this is a modern era bullet from a hand gun, quite hard to tell without a picture.

Also, let me be the first to welcome you to the board.

Thanks Hawkdriver,

Sorry but the first post did not attach the photo. I have re-posted the message.

That white powdery looking material is from the lead being buried for some time, so it is old. From the look of it, I'm going to guess that it is black powder and with a flat base like that, I would also guess that it is a hand made hunting round. The moulds to make concave bases are somewhat intricate and thus not as available to the average citizenry back in "the" day. As to what caliber, I would venture to guess that since it is smaller than .50 and the length, it may be a pistol bullet, it would help if you could mic the diameter. If nothing else, get a tape measure and put it on the tape up against one of the even inches.

Civil War era bullets I have also have the same amount/type of oxidation on them.You may try to compare it to the CW era bullets if there are examples on line.

Possibly a .44 cal pistol round??I recall my dad hving a two cavity mould with one of his reproduction Colt Army pistols.One was a ball cavity and the other conical.

RD

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

If it was an authentic CW bullet, the oxidation would have turned into a 'shell' over the entire bullet (think 'thick coating'). Since its a solid base and not a hollow base, it would not have been loaded from the muzzle (unable to expand upon firing).

Its the "...just under .5 inches..." that is odd. There were Breechloading calibers at .50. How much '...just under...' are we talking here?

Also, the pointed shape of the round doesn't seen CW like. In addition, you say it 1 3/16" tall. Doesn't look that tall in the pics. Did you mean perhaps 13/16" tall?

-Mike

How about a .46 caliber rimfire? Fired by the 1858 Remington metallic cartridge conversions.

Check out my website of Military Relics and Collectibles: http://www.ourboysof98.com
I try to update it by adding several new items each month, so keep checking back.

Thanks,
keith

donation2011.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Chuckciao

Are you sure about your measurements??? If it does have a diameter of ,5”, it does not appear to be that ‘tall’ (length). Do I understand correctly, it is a flat base??

Keith maybe close, does the bullet have a length (tall) of about 0.075” ????

45B20

Chuckciao

Are you sure about your measurements??? If it does have a diameter of ,5”, it does not appear to be that ‘tall’ (length). Do I understand correctly, it is a flat base??

Keith maybe close, does the bullet have a length (tall) of about 0.075” ????

45B20

A true mic of the diameter would help and do you know the weight of the projectile? Also, it has a similar shape to projectiles fired from the Smith Carbine Cal 50.

WB

Forum Members,

Thanks for your informative replies. To clarify, it is 13/16" tall. Sorry about not having a precise measurement for the diameter but I do not have a micrometer. I will try to get more accurate measurements and weight and get back to you.

Thanks

Chuck

Forum Members,

Thanks for your informative replies. To clarify, it is 13/16" tall. Sorry about not having a precise measurement for the diameter but I do not have a micrometer. I will try to get more accurate measurements and weight and get back to you.

Thanks

Chuck

You don't need a micrometer, as I said earlier, just sit the bullet on a tape measure, we can determine caliber from that as caliber is hundreths of an inch. So, 4/16" is 1/4 inch or .25 caliber. 3/8" is just over .37 caliber.

What old park in Davenport did you dig it at? I lived there for 30 years. Was it in the Village of East Davenport? Camp McClellan used to be there and was huge.

95th ID, especially 379th in WWII. 561st SAW BN (signal air warning). Any WWII dispatch rider items. Always looking to buy these items.

That's definately not from a Smith Carbine, and the bullet is too pointed to come out of a Colt mold, have one right here i'm looking at. Will try to come up with an answer though.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.