Cool web site on SBU IX

River Rat 1

Years ago when I was a hell of a lot younger I was a member of SBU IX it was 25% active duty and 75% reservist.It kept the brown water Navy around after Vietnam.It was decommissioned when they closed down Mare island ship yard.It was one of the better reserve unit's I served with.It was like active duty every drill week end none of that class room stuff we went out into the Sacramento river training for the time if we were ever needed.We would come in on Friday Night prep the boats arm the boats Saturday morning and go out and not come back in till Sunday clean the boat and weapons and we did it in all kinds of weather I miss it at times but I don't miss being cold and wet.Here is a cool web site on SBU IX and you can go to the main page for other cool sites.

http://www.warboats.org/SBU11.htm

• 2 weeks later...

I took a quick look at the website, interesting!

I guess I had it in my head that SBU guys just picked up SEALs from zodiacs or something... I had NO idea that those PBR type boats existed beyind Vietnam!

I read not too long about about new "riverine" type units which were training up at I think Little Creek, VA, for river & waterway duty in Iraq. That also made me think the concept was one long out of service and being dusted off for the 21st century. It may have been that what I read about was just for USMC units tho too...

Some great pics on the site you linked tho - thanks again for posting it!

MW

• 2 weeks later...
I took a quick look at the website, interesting!

I guess I had it in my head that SBU guys just picked up SEALs from zodiacs or something... I had NO idea that those PBR type boats existed beyind Vietnam!

I read not too long about about new "riverine" type units which were training up at I think Little Creek, VA, for river & waterway duty in Iraq. That also made me think the concept was one long out of service and being dusted off for the 21st century. It may have been that what I read about was just for USMC units tho too...

Some great pics on the site you linked tho - thanks again for posting it!

MW

Here is some you mite like to see.When I was in we were called Special Boat Unit's now they are called Special Boat Teams and they did away with the Vietnam Pin and redesign it and have a new one and the boats are better and the training looks tougher.I wish we had the mini gun you will see in this youtube video.The video is called the Navy best kept secret and I guess it was in my day becouse you did not hear of it much well here is the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7Bctymq4bE...feature=related

And here is something I found on the history and about it today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Warfa...t-craft_Crewmen