US Marine Corps theater (local) made patches

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

We seem to have a few USMC afficiados so I thought I'd put up my theater/locally made variations of the standard marine patches. Let us see some of yours.

Garth

Some First Division:

post-83-1167695525.jpg

post-83-1167695548.jpg

Garth Thompson

Some Second Division, both types. An old collector once told me he tried to get all the variations of the second style but ran out of energy at 200. There seems to be an almost infinate amount of variations on the color of the torch/hand/number, torch size, hand size and "2" size. The only reasonable explaination I've heard is the Marine Corps procured patches and insignia in small lots from different vendors through out the war.

post-83-1167695885.jpg

post-83-1167695917.jpg

post-83-1167695941.jpg

Garth Thompson

Third and Fifth Divisions, not a lot of variation, standard and a couple of embroidered on wool types. There is an oversize Third and a reverse color Third variation I haven't pictured.

post-83-1167696089.jpg

post-83-1167696120.jpg

Garth Thompson

Fourth Division standard, on twill, on wool, footed "4" and a Chinese made on silk. It is not unusual to encounter Chinese made 4th Div and 1st MAW as these units served in the post war occupation of China. As examples I've added 1st Marine Air Wing variations to this post.

post-83-1167696269.jpg

post-83-1167696361.jpg

Garth Thompson

Some scarcer ones: 4th Marine Base Defense, USMC Recruiting and a lovely FMF-PAC Engineer Bn. locally made.

post-83-1167696498.jpg

Garth Thompson

The smaller "shirt size" 1st M.A.C. on twill. I've only ever seen these done on twill, never standard embroidery.

post-83-1167696730.jpg

Garth Thompson

Finally, some Australian made "bevo" style weave. The original company in Australia that made these in WW2 did a run in the '70s so you have to be careful.

post-83-1167696912.jpg

Third and Fifth Divisions, not a lot of variation, standard and a couple of embroidered on wool types. There is an oversize Third and a reverse color Third variation I haven't pictured.

Garth & Leif,

Some very nice patches!

Here is my jumbo 3rd Marine Division next to the standard size reverse colors 3rd.

Gary

post-84-1167708980.jpg

Here are some more variations not shown yet.

Besides the nice smaller twill 2nd Marine Division patch with outstretched golden hand shown by Garth and again here, there is also a smaller twill 2nd MarDiv (top right) that is embroidered in the style of the felt or wool examples, also shown below.

post-84-1167713338.jpg