WW2 IFF radio test set

hirsca

Another Dallas Vet estate sale find. I had no idea what it was, so naturally I bought it. Thanks to some diligent web searching by my bride of 42 years, she found a gentleman by the name of Fred Chesson who shared a great deal of info with us. In a nutshell, it is a portable test set taken on board aircraft to make sure that their IFF signals are working properly. It might have other capabilities, but this stuff is way above my pay grade. Any info will be much appreciated. Two more pics to follow. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1288553636.jpg

post-12790-1288553718.jpg

It is a radio receiver designed to receive test the IFF transponders (transmitters) which identified as aircraft as being a friendly. These used VHF frequencies which were not used for a lot of purposes back then. These BC-1066-B unit sell these days for about $30-40.

• 2 weeks later...

It actually is a transmitter and receiver. The receiver is a superregen and so put out emissions that activated the IFF set aboard the aircraft which transmitted a response that could be picked up on the test set.

I have the schematic for it if you need it.

A nice piece, complete with the cover!

• 2 weeks later...
It actually is a transmitter and receiver. The receiver is a superregen and so put out emissions that activated the IFF set aboard the aircraft which transmitted a response that could be picked up on the test set.

I have the schematic for it if you need it.

A nice piece, complete with the cover!

Many thanks MIFLYER. I might take you up on the schematic if I still have it next week. I'm setting up a table at the big Dallas gun show this weekend to sell some---hopefully a lot---of my estate sale finds. Happy Thanksgiving!