Lets see your medical uniforms. Any Branch any era!!

PaulR

dscn2426resize5me.jpg

dscn2425resize0fc.jpg

From his FOIA file:

8 Sep 66: General Medical Officer, Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, Fort Bragg NC

14 Feb 68: General Medical Officer (Counterinsurgency), Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, USARPAC

8 Jun 68: General Medical Officer, Co D, 307th Med Bn, 82nd Abn Div, Fort Bragg NC

25 Jul 68: discharged

Apparently he spent only four months in Vietnam, enough to get a CMB though. Only Co B of the 307th Med Bn was deployed, so I guess he was TDY to this company while still assigned to Co D in Ft Bragg.

Name: YELLE ARMAND J

Branch: ARMY

Rate: O03

MOS: 3100

MOS Title: General Medical Officer

Entered: 6607

Discharged:

Service Number:

State: UNKNOWN

Race: CAUCASIAN

Here's a little information about your guy's service. Company D 307th medical Battalion did deploy to Vietnam in February 1968 with the 3rd Brigade 82nd Airborne Division. The brigade was sent on TDY basis after the Tet Offensive. When it was decided to remove the brigade from TDY and assign it permanently to U.S. Army, Vietnam, the brigade was reorganized as a separate light infantry brigade. The 82nd Support Battalion was formed from assets that had deployed to Vietnam with the brigade. Company D of the 307th became Company B (Medical) 82nd Support Battalion.

Because the brigade was deployed so quickly and was not intended to remain in Vietnam more than six months, the Army ignored a lot of the criteria for determining the deployability of the members. I think the rules they used were anyone who had been in the U.S. at least 60 days since a previous tour in Vietnam and who had at least 60 days remaining in the Army was eligible to deploy. When the brigade was taken off TDY, all the members who had deployed in February were given the option of returning to the U.S. or remaining in Vietnam. About 2/3 chose to go home. Based on your guy's information, it looks like his two year enlistment ended in July 1968 so he was returned to the U.S. from Vietnam. There is a very good chance that he had served a previous tour in Vietnam before that.

The subdued CMB and jump wings and possibly the collar insignia on the second shirt look like they are Asian made in-country.

Here are some I have had in my collection although I have since sold them all.

The first is a nice minty olive green utility shirt worn by an Army National Guard Medical Service Corps LTC. This shirt never had any shoulder sleeve insignia, but I have some of the khaki long-sleeve shirts from the same guy and some had the California National Guard SSI while others had the 40th Infantry Division on his left sleeve and all had the 44th Infantry Division as a combat patch.

post-1761-1326245635.jpg

This one belonged to the same guy as the previous post but was from a little later in his career, perhaps the late 60's. Again, no sign of ever having any SSI.

post-1761-1326245858.jpg

world war 2 3rd army medic ike with 1st army combat patch 3 place ribbon bar two stars on the eto ribbon unmarked pin back silver washed cmb ruptured duck and 3 overseas stripes stamped medical and us collar brass

name on tag is

liam g. zappasce or his last name is zaffasci or zaffasce or zappasci its hard to tell from the stamp the laundry number is E-7832 i dunno if that is inspectors name or the soldier.

can anyone find any information on this man?

DSC00583.jpg

DSC00586.jpg

DSC00588.jpg

DSC00589.jpg

Howard H Deck, Jr. Couldnt really pin down what dates he was with the 498th through the research I did but his obituary says he served a multiple tours and military usa database lists him as being in the military March 1968 through May 1972.

DSCN0042.jpg

The first one is an enlisted sanitary train for the 89th Infantry in WWI

DCP_0369.jpg

Shoulder patch

DCP_0376.jpg

This one is an officers coat for the 89th Infantry sanitary train.

Picture037.jpg

Shoulder patch.

Picture038.jpg

Collar devices

Picture039.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just thought I'd add this one to the discussion. A pretty recent find, it's a nice 4th Div. / ETO combat medic Ike jacket. There's evidence of an iron-on ruptured duck, but it has since fallen off. Standard issue GCM ribbon, the others are Wolfe-Brown clutchbacks with correct flat-faces -- one of the clutches on the EAME ribbon (with arrowhead and one star) actually had enough verdigris that it almost didn't come off, so those have been on there for a while. I also like the star on the Victory Medal ribbon, since the guy apparently was never awarded the Combat Medic Badge. There's a last name, but part of the letter and number code looks like it was purposefully marked out, so it might have been a reissue jacket.

If anyone has a roster of the 4th Medical Battalion, I'd love to see if it's possible to match the name and see if he was among the soldiers that landed on Utah Beach.

Thanks,

-- Jon

post-112103-0-96871000-1363734665.jpg

• 4 months later...

Figured I'd add to this topic. I'd love to see what other cool medical related uniforms everyone has acquired lately! I picked this right before the SOS, a really nice 42nd/71st Division medic's ike with dog chain trim.

IMAG0271_zps9ac157ef.jpg

IMAG0268_zps614228e9.jpg

IMAG0267_zpsbf63bd7b.jpg

-Ben

1st AAA Group

ID'd Ike jacket. Mr. Holden served 1951-53. During his service he went to Korea and was assigned as a Combat Medic with Co. M 14th Infantry Regiment, 25th ID.

post-1241-0-73583600-1374881510.jpg

Figured I'd add to this topic. I'd love to see what other cool medical related uniforms everyone has acquired lately! I picked this right before the SOS, a really nice 42nd/71st Division medic's ike with dog chain trim.

-Ben

Ben, I remember seeing that one online -- it was one of the sharpest looking medic's Ikes I'd seen in a little while (love the dog tag chain detail). Glad you managed to pick it up. Did you manage to find an ID on it at all?

Also just to update, the other day I was checking out the 4th Div jacket I posted above, and I deduced that it did have a CMB on there at one point. I had to see it in a certain light, but the holes are right about where they should be for a clutch-back badge. I think there's another ribbon missing on the top line, too -- not sure if it was a PH or BS. I might have to get someone to research the rosters and hopefully ID it in the near future, so I can restore it correctly.

-- Jon

Ben, I remember seeing that one online -- it was one of the sharpest looking medic's Ikes I'd seen in a little while (love the dog tag chain detail). Glad you managed to pick it up. Did you manage to find an ID on it at all?

Also just to update, the other day I was checking out the 4th Div jacket I posted above, and I deduced that it did have a CMB on there at one point. I had to see it in a certain light, but the holes are right about where they should be for a clutch-back badge. I think there's another ribbon missing on the top line, too -- not sure if it was a PH or BS. I might have to get someone to research the rosters and hopefully ID it in the near future, so I can restore it correctly.

-- Jon

Thanks for the compliment on the ike! There are some laundry marks in the jacket, same numerical sequence but the beginning letter on the ike is a N and on his ties it's mark starting with an M (or vise versa). I might be able to find him, I just need to purchase the GO# book for the 42nd Div.

That's a great 4th Div one too! Too bad that the CMB is gone.

-Ben

• 1 year later...
Garandomatic

This one's my best, although I may have a uniform coming soon that belonged to my 34th Division man's brother:

post-9670-1315866195.jpg

THe post is here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/121516-d-day-navy-uniform-and-document-grouping/

He was a local man that was a FOXY-29 member of LST-47's crew at Omaha Beach, and participated in the Southern France invasion. It looks dirty of mildewed in the picture, but it's very nice.

Great uniforms shown here and a great thread!

Here is my best one because it belonged to my grandfather. He was with a battalion surgical team with 3rd Bn, 259th Infantry, 65th Division. After the 65th was deactivated overseas he was assigned to 10th Armored before he came home.

And they wore enlisted brass like officers, I asked him why since it wasn't exactly regs and he said "That's the way we wore it"

Alan

post-2741-0-75743500-1431187572.jpg