Jeanne McSheehy's 44-W-5 WASP Graduation Wing - ex George Connell collection

Capt106

Very nice and with personalized provenance to boot! Wow even in 78’ they were big bucks. Hope you got the rest of the items she was parting with the days of offers like that are long gone! :thumbsup: Interesting, it looks like she may have been a Muslim convert with that final (god willing) line?

Nice authentic WASP wing! It's my understanding aviation collector George W. Connell mailed out letters of introduction to dozens and dozens of WASP members in the 1970's and 1980's in his quest to comprise a collection of WASP wings representing every class of graduates. After he struck a deal with the individual WASP member, and had her wings in hand, he inscribed the back of the badge with her name and class number.

Mr. Connell's collection has long since been parted out. His letters of correspondence with the individual WASP's were included with the sale of each respective wing. When I had the opportunity to buy a couple of his badges, I was initially turned-off by seeing a 1943-1944 produced wing with a 1970's added inscription on the back. But in hindsight, what better way to document an authentic piece with provenance. Thanks for posting.

Russ

Nice authentic WASP wing! It's my understanding aviation collector George W. Connell mailed out letters of introduction to dozens and dozens of WASP members in the 1970's and 1980's in his quest to comprise a collection of WASP wings representing every class of graduates. After he struck a deal with the individual WASP member, and had her wings in hand, he inscribed the back of the badge with her name and class number.

Mr. Connell's collection has long since been parted out. His letters of correspondence with the individual WASP's were included with the sale of each respective wing. When I had the opportunity to buy a couple of his badges, I was initially turned-off by seeing a 1943-1944 produced wing with a 1970's added inscription on the back. But in hindsight, what better way to document an authentic piece with provenance. Thanks for posting.

Russ

Thank you for the info. I just assumed Ms McSheehy inscribed the wings herself. the inscription on the back made the wing more attractive to me.