Another 5th Marine Division Group

VMI88

There have been a number of 5th Marine Division groups posted recently, so I thought I'd post the small one I picked up this weekend. First, the utility shirt:

post-265-1187662930.jpg

The tactical symbol on the chest is the 5th Marine Division. The number inside the symbol is "4834", which I believe identifies a lieutenant in I Co., 3rd Bn, 28th Marines. The utility shirt only has a laundry mark (P-2190), but other clothing items further identify the owner as J.R. Poe. This is a nice salty shirt, probably worn in theater.

Next, the o.d field jacket:

post-265-1187662942.jpg

This jacket is a nice early one, a May 1942 contract. It doesn't have any insignia of any type, but it is marked with the owner's name. I know the Marines used Army field jackets, but there probably aren't many around that can be positively identified as USMC issue! There was also a pair of utility trousers that I didn't photograph because someone unfortunately used them to paint in. I have other Marine utility uniforms, but this is the first with tactical markings and a possible connection to Iwo Jima -- I was pretty pleased when I found it!

I'd like to research this officer further but don't have much to go on. Does anyone know where I can find a roster of Marine officers or of the 28th Marine Regiment?

Bill

jeremiahcable

There is such a roster at the back of the 5th MarDiv book, "The Spearhead". James R. Poe was a 1st Lt with the 28th Marines and was wounded on Iwo Jima, so you have a solid connection to the owner of these pieces and that battle. Very nice score! Needless to say, if you ever get bored with it........ ;)

Jeremiah

WoW!! We are on a cool USMC roll here. This is a very nice group!

On the M42 jacket, you see those worn on Iwo quite a bit. I had a P42 camo HBT group to a 2nd Division guy that had photos of him wearing one during occupation, and I have a 4th MarDiv UNIS marked one in my collection.

Outstanding find! The first numeral 4 on the tac marked hbt coat indicates company officer. It seems that many Marines who were on Iwo chose to keep their combat worn uniforms. It was the first and last time for them to be worn in action as the 5th MarDiv went on to occupation duty. If the war had continued, few would likely have survived to posterity, not to mention the men themselves!

CB

There is such a roster at the back of the 5th MarDiv book, "The Spearhead". James R. Poe was a 1st Lt with the 28th Marines . . .)

Jeremiah

Jeremiah,

Thanks for the information! Is there anything in the roster that might help me further identify him?

The Social Security Index lists a James R. Poe of Grand Tower, IL, who would have been 23 years old in 1945. He's really the only one whose age fits. I'm going to try sending for his records from NARA, but any additional information would help.

Bill

• 15 years later...

An old thread, but I wanted to update with information received from NARA (with the generous assistance of several forum members).

First, the USMC Casualty Report confirming the lieutenant was wounded on Iwo Jima:

1387285651_1stLtJamesRobertPoeUSMCR_0001.jpg.5364900a9cf6493875fbaa0a7aa9dc71.jpg

His service number matches the laundry number in the uniforms.

And an official photo of the lieutenant:

1126738995_1stLtJamesRobertPoeUSMCR_0002.jpg.7e3c217c7877c1ac33f24528e244223c.jpg