Ens. George Gay's Dogtag

KASTAUFFER

Kurt

A great piece for sure.Well done.A center piece in any collection.

I just hope that someone dont start turning them out on ebuy now.

RD

Coincidentally, I just purchased the hat and flag of Vice Admiral (Then Captain) Charles Perry Mason, who was the Commanding Officer of the U.S.S. Hornet.

A friend of mine and I had a bet as to which would be posted first…

A. The “no way it can be real because it is WAY too cool and I am jealous” post or

B. The ever popular “that belongs in a museum” comment.

Thanks for the post swmdo I just won a case of beer. :)

Kurt, Congrats and that phenomenal piece of history is in the perfect home and will be cherished more than if it were in ANY museum’s collection. Heck, you should wear it at least once!

Glad I could help!! :twothumbup:

• 1 year later...
KASTAUFFER

its a good time to bring this one back to the top for the 70th anniversary of the Midway battle.

Jack's Son

Kurt,

I remember when several of his items were being sold by his grandson, BUT I DON'T REMEMBER THIS!!!

Great addition to your collection. I cannot think of a better collection for it to be in. It's right at home! :thumbsup:

Nice piece Kurt!

Thanks for bringing it up on the 70th anniversary.

My 1st cousin was on the Hornet and the Wasp. He stayed in the Navy for 20 some years and wrote a book about his experiences.

Terry

Fantastic piece. Just WOW! I recently visited The Museum of The Pacific War in Fredricksburg, TX, and was awestruck to see Ens. Gay's life jacket and goggles displayed there. I knew the story, but never would have expected his life jacket to have survived all these years instead of being lost to history. It must be even more amazing to hold a piece of that history in your hand.

• 2 weeks later...
GeneralLucas
I recently acquired Ens. George Gay's dogtag from his Grandson and thought you all might like to see it.

For those of you who may not know who he was, Ens. Gay was the sole survivor of the USS Hornet detatchment of Torpedo Squadron 8 during the Battle of Midway. He was a true American hero.

There were 2 survivors of the VT-8 detatchment that flew from Midway Island that day. I posted a group to one of the pilots here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=57155

Kurt

post-105-1288144967.jpg

Most excellent. I think that the Japanese did not realize what type of men that they would be up against. I found a used copy of his fine book SOLE SURVIVOR sometime ago.

post-1658-1340162753.jpg

Most excellent. I think that the Japanese did not realize what type of men that they would be up against. I found a used copy of his fine book SOLE SURVIVOR sometime ago.

I too have one of these:

6952016980_26153bb05a_b.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

ENS> George Gay was not picked up by a Sub, But A Navy Catalina PBY-5 then a PB2y--2 from Midway to Pearl Harbor as per ENS Gay from his Book Sole Survivor.

• 1 year later...

Kurt

Totally amazing! And a great piece of Naval and US History.I myself have a signed and numbered aviation art print of him in my office and look at it daily. Jay

• 2 years later...

Since the new Midway” movie is being released this weekend, I thought this would be a good time to bring this back up.

Kurt