7th War Loan Armband

Collector5516

Collector5516

I picked this up at an antique shop a few weeks ago. It's definitely WW2 vintage and I'm guessing it was given to people who gave money to the 7th War Loan. It measures approximately 14" long. I like it because of the Iwo Jima image and I've never seen one before. Does anyone have any more info regarding this piece? Also, I'm not looking to sell it but was curious as to value. Thanks!

warloanarmband.jpg

Value is whatever you paid for it :) Looks like an armband to me but could be wrong. Late war, can't recall when this loan came out, sometime late winter 1945 I believe.

I think it was probably worn by people collecting for the war drive as opposed to donors.

From Duke University Digital Collections

http://library.duke.edu/digitalcollections...ds.html#seventh

Seventh War Loan

Elaborate plans were made for the Seventh War Loan. Nationally planned special promotional events far surpassed those planned for any other bond drive, and the Office of War Information pledged 50% of all available radio time to advertisement of the Seventh Loan. An additional $19.1 million was contributed to advertising in support of the drive, and the combined estimate surpassed $42 million in free advertising. Beginning on May 14, 1945, just a few days after V-E Day, some officials feared the goal of $14 billion would not be reached if Americans believed the surrender of Germany made full subscription unnecessary. These fears proved unfounded, as the individual sales goal of $7 billion - the highest of any war bond drive - was surpassed by $1.6 billion. The final tally recorded sales of over $26 billion dollars during the six weeks of the Seventh War Loan drive.

Collector5516

Thanks for the info regarding the War Loan. I think you are right in that the armband was probably worn by people collecting donations. Thanks!