Wearing an ACU without any insignia

dg0223

Yesterday I went out to dinner with a good friend of mine. When we were at the table watching the Monday Night Football game, four young ladies walked in. One of them was wearing a rather sloppy ACU. It looked way too big on her. I immediately thought she was a member of the local university ROTC detachment. However, when she got closer she was wearing a U.S. ARMY nametape as well as her last name nametape. Other than those two nametapes, the uniform was completely devoid of rank patches, flags, or SSI. When she sat down, she crumpled her cover up and shoved it into one of her pant pockets.

My question is, would there ever be a reason to wear an ACU in a friendly public setting without any of the insignia on it? I have seen several Marines, sailors, and soldiers around town who do wear their uniforms with insignia. I know all of the patches on the ACU have velcro on them allowing for easy removal. I was just wondering if there would ever be orders issued where going out in public means taking off all of the insignia, or if it was just a young lady dressed up in an Army uniform who wasn't really in the Army.

Yesterday I went out to dinner with a good friend of mine. When we were at the table watching the Monday Night Football game, four young ladies walked in. One of them was wearing a rather sloppy ACU. It looked way too big on her. I immediately thought she was a member of the local university ROTC detachment. However, when she got closer she was wearing a U.S. ARMY nametape as well as her last name nametape. Other than those two nametapes, the uniform was completely devoid of rank patches, flags, or SSI. When she sat down, she crumpled her cover up and shoved it into one of her pant pockets.

My question is, would there ever be a reason to wear an ACU in a friendly public setting without any of the insignia on it? I have seen several Marines, sailors, and soldiers around town who do wear their uniforms with insignia. I know all of the patches on the ACU have velcro on them allowing for easy removal. I was just wondering if there would ever be orders issued where going out in public means taking off all of the insignia, or if it was just a young lady dressed up in an Army uniform who wasn't really in the Army.

There has never been an issue ordered to my knowledge to take off rank/ ssi/ Flag patches in the US.

Judging by the description she was more than likely ROTC. There is no reason to wear the ACU out without insignia, and definately not looking like Joe "Poop" the Ragman.

Headgear (ACU cap or beret?) in the pocket sounds like a Soldier or cadet. ROTC cadet sounds about right, but the whole thing sounds fishy, especially if she was the only one of the group wearing a uniform.

I can't imagine why she didn't have a (color) flag and at least left sleeve patch on her uniform...she could be an E-1, which has no insignia. Not sure if there are "lucky charms" in ACU insignia for the various cadet ranks.

Lots of speculation, and no real answers here.

Steve

Cobrahistorian

My thought was she's a National Guard E-1 home between Basic and AIT. As far as the Patrol Cap in the pocket, that's pretty much standard practice, so no issue there, but it sounds like she was quite the sad sack!

Cadets would have a black dot (or series thereof) on their ACUs. The only reason not to wear a rank patch on ACUs is if you're an E-1. I don't know why she wasn't wearing the flag. That's definitely odd. Unit patch? eh... not a big deal. I do see junior enlisted around fairly often (usually in airports headed to AIT or some training) without them.

Trying out her "Halloween costume," perhaps? Even the Guard wear flags on thier right sleeve, but then there are slackers in all walks of life. I've seen a bunch ROTC with and without "unit" patches, too. I'm betting not military, but wanted to see if the uniform got her some special treatment or something for free.

G

The only reason why I didn't think cadet was because the ROTC unit here has the nametape that says ROTC. Hers clearly said U.S. ARMY. And it was the ACU cap, not the black beret.

And I was surprised that she didn't at least wear the flag. After what you guys say, I'm leaning towards Cobrahistorian's theory, possibly a National Guardswoman. Who knows? Just one of those unsolved mysteries, I guess.

My thought was she's a National Guard E-1 home between Basic and AIT. As far as the Patrol Cap in the pocket, that's pretty much standard practice, so no issue there, but it sounds like she was quite the sad sack!

Cadets would have a black dot (or series thereof) on their ACUs. The only reason not to wear a rank patch on ACUs is if you're an E-1. I don't know why she wasn't wearing the flag. That's definitely odd. Unit patch? eh... not a big deal. I do see junior enlisted around fairly often (usually in airports headed to AIT or some training) without them.

I don't think they wear the dot until they are MS3. I'm leaing towards ROTC. Even a E1 Guardsman back from basic would be scared poopless to not be in uniform, they are usually the most consciencious about being out of uniform.

Whatever she was, I hate the whole being out in public in ACU's issue. Unlike the BDU's of lore, which could at least be starched and a shine put to the boots for some pride in appearance , but with few exceptions, the I sEE U's and desert boots make one look like a pure Sh*tbag. It is supposed to be a combat uniform, not a stepping out in public "representin" garment.

Whatever she was, I hate the whole being out in public in ACU's issue. Unlike the BDU's of lore, which could at least be starched and a shine put to the boots for some pride in appearance , but with few exceptions, the I sEE U's and desert boots make one look like a pure Sh*tbag. It is supposed to be a combat uniform, not a stepping out in public "representin" garment.

I know a retired Naval Aviator, retired as a Captain. He is appalled that any member of the military would go out in public in BDUs, ACUs, flight suits, etc. In his day, you weren't seen in public unless you were in a service dress uniform or dress uniform. I agree with his sentiment completely, it's a level of professionalism that appears to have faded away.

The only reason why I didn't think cadet was because the ROTC unit here has the nametape that says ROTC. Hers clearly said U.S. ARMY. And it was the ACU cap, not the black beret.

And I was surprised that she didn't at least wear the flag. After what you guys say, I'm leaning towards Cobrahistorian's theory, possibly a National Guardswoman. Who knows? Just one of those unsolved mysteries, I guess.

Every ROTC unit I have seen wears the US Army Tape along with name tape, ROTC SSI, Rank (Enlisted or Officer) and the US Flag patch....is the local unit you mentioned JROTC?

l_6b9f149f8c50414ea5c35c23db7d468d.jpg

Well, I'm pretty stupid. I could have sworn I've seen the ROTC nametape, but I guess not. Maybe it's the JROTC that wears the JROTC nametape. It's entirely possible she could have been an ROTC cadet, although she did not have the U.S. Flag, the Leadership patch, or any rank at all.

I don't think they wear the dot until they are MS3. I'm leaing towards ROTC. Even a E1 Guardsman back from basic would be scared poopless to not be in uniform, they are usually the most consciencious about being out of uniform.

ROTC rank insignia

rotc-cadet-ranks.gif

I see E-1s every day who are going through training. They are all wearing the ACU with name tapes, flag patch and the ACU US Army Star Logo patch previously only worn by Recruiters and folks at HQ DA. They wear the black beret with just the blue Army flash, no DUI. And they all travel in pairs, with their assigned battle buddy, even off post.

could be someone getting back from an RSP weekend(recruit sustainment program) if she was in the guard, they only issue name tape and the us army branch tape and chest rank patch if you have any rank. i know mass gives the drowning sailor patch im not sure about other states tho. IM in rsp now, on your 3rd weekend they issue you a full ACU uniform for wear when you do your drill there.

I wonder if she was military at all?

Perhaps the best piece of speculation in this whole thread.

Though I think the headgear in the pocket suggests YES. :(

Steve

could be someone getting back from an RSP weekend(recruit sustainment program) if she was in the guard, they only issue name tape and the us army branch tape and chest rank patch if you have any rank. i know mass gives the drowning sailor patch im not sure about other states tho. IM in rsp now, on your 3rd weekend they issue you a full ACU uniform for wear when you do your drill there.

That had been a thought of mine too. Just couldn't remember what that program was called.

That had been a thought of mine too. Just couldn't remember what that program was called.

:thumbsup: ugh the rsp windbreaker suit is well alittle unflatering as well ill post a pic of it later on.