Helmet net used in ETO

rocketscientist

rocketscientist

I am looking for the typical US camouflage net used during ETO. My reference is this picture, taken the day of the liberation of one citiy (Milan?) in the northern italy.

post-3296-1287930279.jpg

Recently I manage to purchase one net of those with the instruction tag attached to, convinced that this was the net I am looking for. Apparently, they are two nets of different type, the first having a sort of "hexagonal" pattern, while the other is square.

(more picture on next posts)

Is it an optical illusion or I am true saying that there are two different camouflage nets and I got the wrong one?

thanks

Not to say there arn't 2 styles, but the only ones I've ever happened up on are like the one in your color pic.

Mine has the cotton ties that hold the band to the net.

The net in the period pic of the paratrooper getting a smooch may possibly just be a piece of British vehicle camo net cut to size and used for a helmet net... :think: .....mike

G.I. in the photo appears to be from the 3rd Division and he does appear to be wearing the "two-toned" British helmet net. These things got around and there is a pic of Marine General "Howling Mad" Smith wearing one in the Pacific.

Is it an optical illusion or I am true saying that there are two different camouflage nets and I got the wrong one?

Hello yes you are right. The one you have is the late war net with band.

The one used in your picture (BTW it cant be in Milano) is the typical 3rd Div helmet net used as from Anzio to France and after.

These were cut out of vehicle nets. The two tones is just an optical illusion or maybe oil or dirt.

efwqef10.jpg

wergwe10.jpg

ergwer10.jpg

ffffff10.jpg

g1210.jpg

dfv1010.jpg

rocketscientist

Thank you for the precious explanations. This means that it is very unlikely that I will ever manage to find the net I am after. If someone has some suggestion, please come forward.

I agree that the picture was not shot in Milan but more likely in the south of Italy since I found that it is dated December 1944, about six months befere Milano was liberated.

The full photograph is titled "Grateful Granny" and can be seen here

ciao

If you are trying to recreate that 3rd ID netted look, Im sure you could find a piece of that type of vehicle netting somewhere, either ebay or from a collector possibly!?.....mike :think:

The net in the period pic of the paratrooper getting a smooch may possibly just be a piece of British vehicle camo net cut to size and used for a helmet net... :think: .....mike

I agree. Other than that every know style of US/Brit helmet net would be correct for an Italian campaign related display - plus the various field made nets that were seen with units such as the 92nd ID.

Canadian nets were two-toned and seem to have found there way into U.S. use. They come up on Ebay regularly but have gotten a bit pricey.

Hello Here are the two types of helmet nets cut out of vehicle nets used by the 3rd Div. in Italy and France.

The 2nd one is surely the type seen in the picture.

The picture cannot be December 44 since the 3rd Div was long gone from Italy at that time. I would date it around the liberation of Rome.

modif210.jpg

dsc07415.jpg

This is the late war net weave for comparison.

untitl17.jpg

rocketscientist

Thanks dogface44! What are samples #1 and #2 taken from? What type of vehicle net are we talking about?

Nice topic, thanks to all contributors.

Were vehicle nets really that small a weave? Most I've seen have at least 1" > 2" squares...they don't need to be any smaller than that. Smaller weave = a heavier net. You don't need that extra weight if the net is to cover a tank or a 2.5 ton truck!

Sabrejet

There are vehicle cam nets of the small mesh variety. I was selling lots of cut up vehicle nets some time ago - think there is still enough material left for another 60 nets.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
rocketscientist

After some searching I have got this, which I was told is cut from a vehicle net used by the U.S. troops in France. Do you think it might be right?

post-3296-1289658656.jpg

Were vehicle nets really that small a weave? Most I've seen have at least 1" > 2" squares...they don't need to be any smaller than that. Smaller weave = a heavier net. You don't need that extra weight if the net is to cover a tank or a 2.5 ton truck!

Sabrejet

As a former Royal Corp of Transport ( Wagonner) I can assure you transport nets can be that small....and yes they are very heavy, especially when wet, not much fun covering up kit in the rain ;)

• 1 year later...