New York Guard Photo

JMcCulloch

Photo taken at fort Ontario, N.Y. 1936 of a 27/30 year veteran of the NYSG.

Check out the ribbon bar. Can anyone help identify this guys' medals? the only one I recognize is the 3rd one- the NY recruiting medal.

post-4995-1287882419.jpg

OK-having spent way too much time at the OMSA site, the New york Guard website and the awesome ribbon resource that D. Bush put up (THAT guy deserves the OMSA merit medal) I think I have anwsered my own question.

I think, but am not positive, that the ribbon bar reads :

Long service (1st type) by the device-with a XXV device on the oval, The state aid medal with two palms, the recruiting medal (weird ribbon) and the 212th Coastal Artillery service medal. Odd that he did not get an Aquaduct medal for WW1 service given the 9 service stripes on his sleeve.

It's nice to see someone else who was a Sergeant with (what I count as 27 years service) more time than me LOL.

(Just retired with 20 years service....as an E-5!!...can't be too many of us left LOL). So I have a kinship with this 'gent.

Manchu Warrior
It's nice to see someone else who was a Sergeant with (what I count as 27 years service) more time than me LOL.

(Just retired with 20 years service....as an E-5!!...can't be too many of us left LOL). So I have a kinship with this 'gent.

When I was in the National Guard we had soldiers retiring at E-4 after 20 years. And it was not that they were bad soldiers, actually most them were great soldiers, they just never wanted a leadership position. Sorry for the slight hijack.

• 10 months later...

well, and there he is...ended up a Colonel too:http://dmna.state.ny.us/historic/research/decorations/LongAndFaithful/Index_LF.htm