V42 on Ebay

SKIPH

That's a great story RD, I miss having those memories.

Sometime I will tell you what I thought about after reading it.

Thanks for taking the time to share it. :thumbsup:

JS

:salute:

JS

Yep good memories.Still makes me smile.Im not sure why he put up with me. :rolleyes:

Yeah my dad was a really cool guy.Hauled me around and we collected stuff and went to shows.Never told me I was wasting my money or time.He had collected and like old stuff for years and had a varied collection military and other wise.He had a few fire arms when I was a kid.just a working mans guns.Couple old M92 Winchesters etc.He didnt get into to much military til I was going to a few gunshows with him and fleamarkets.He died 11 years ago at age 64.Collecting has lost its shine as he was the main part of the fun of the hobby.Heres to You dad :salute:

RD

If you want to read the great V-42 story check this out: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=21732

Bob

thats a classic one.Goes to show what happnes every day.Those were beauties.Wonder what ever happned to them.

Thanks for making putting me into shock again..my ticker just skipped a couple beats:lol: :lol::lol:

RD

Morning Gang! Well we're 7 days 16 hours out, and V42 watch is at $3879. Jack's Son, this is a great learning site for all of us. I literally learn something new every day here. M3's and M4's are my main interest, but I'm finally rounding out that genre. So pretty soon I'll start another phase. Not sure yet. May be I'll just save up for a couple of years and try to get my hands on a V42. Any waythere is a trmendous amount of expertise on this site, to include knife book authors who are very knowledgable. We all keep each other straight. SKIP

Jack's Son-Can't remember the details but, I don't recall them being extremely mint. They weren't LTC Frederick's either. But, they did sell for a huge sum. This one looks to be real nice , so it should go fairly high. Who knows if it will hit $10,000. It will be fun watching to see where it peaks. SKIP

4016 is the bid now

Yeah,and it's got down to just 2 bidders. Think it'll go this 'back & forth' right down to the wire? Cause if their doing

this now, ain't no tellin how high their egos will push it.

Jack's Son- Wait til the last minute! If it's wild now, and they really want that knife, last minute should be out of control. Obviously very dedicated and deep pocketed collectors. Be patient it will probably slow down some. But, who knows? SKIP

Marv- Brought out a good points about ebay. I have seen all kinds of knives, that I never would have in 40 years of collecting. Granted, can't bid on them all, and have won like 2, but at least the opportunity was there. Plus, got to see a few V42's, a ton of M3's and M4's. And how many "Theater Made" would any of us seen? The massive variety is staggering! Ebay does have an upside. Just my opinion. SKIP

I agree. Sometimes Ebay is like a museum, except you can buy the items in the glass cases. Howwever, sometimes it's also like a yard sale [in a tornado ravaged trailer park]. Ha!

JS

JS

Heres another'

One of the vets dad and I visited one saturday showed us some of his items.I asked if he had his knife.He went over to his desk,opened the drawer and took out his V42.Swiftly pulled it from the scabbard and cut air with it.He then handed it to me and said.."Careful,its sharp and has cut bone'.He had been on the assault of Defensia and several Italian excursions.

In all I had the honor and privaledge to meet about 20 Force vets.I recall six or seven were from the regiments and had their knives.One had loaned his to a buddy with his parka to go deer hunting.He never got either back.Two of them had been on Defensia in the same regiment.

RD

Here's the "education" he got from watchers:

post-70-1288055456.jpg

Ah, yes, "Mr. Helpful." These are the guys that can't afford the item, so they want to make sure that the bidders pay out the...nose :lol: And of course, Mr. Helpful tells everyone about his random act of kindness :rolleyes: Like the seller can't figure out by himself/herself that "it's worth quite a bit of money," the way it took off like a rocket! :pinch:

Ah, yes, "Mr. Helpful." These are the guys that can't afford the item, so they want to make sure that the bidders pay out the...nose :lol: And of course, Mr. Helpful tells everyone about his random act of kindness :rolleyes: Like the seller can't figure out by himself/herself that "it's worth quite a bit of money," the way it took off like a rocket! :pinch:

OH YES! YES! YES!, I had a guy do this to me while I was in the process of bidding on a fixed bail that was listed

wrong. The guy just had to tell the seller all about it. I've never wanted to get my hands on a guy so bad in all my

life.

OH YES! YES! YES!, I had a guy do this to me while I was in the process of bidding on a fixed bail that was listed

wrong. The guy just had to tell the seller all about it. I've never wanted to get my hands on a guy so bad in all my

life.

How about this...I had answered a post here on the forum for a wanted item.Had made the deal then Mr.Heplful posted an ebay link to a similiar item.Yes it was a bit cheaper as shiping was included if I recall.The original poster was going to still go through with the deal with me but I told him to get the ones on ebay.No big deal seemed like the right thing to do.But thanks to Mr Helpful on the forum it blew the deal.....

How about this...I had answered a post here on the forum for a wanted item.Had made the deal then Mr.Heplful posted an ebay link to a similiar item.Yes it was a bit cheaper as shiping was included if I recall.The original poster was going to still go through with the deal with me but I told him to get the ones on ebay.No big deal seemed like the right thing to do.But thanks to Mr Helpful on the forum it blew the deal.....

Yeah, I remember seeing that post of yours. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why the other board member just randomly posted in your thread a hyperlink for a similar item on eBay :think: .

Very inappropriate to my way of thinking :thumbdown: .

Tim

Yeah, I remember seeing that post of yours. I was scratching my head trying to figure out why the other board member just randomly posted in your thread a hyperlink for a similar item on eBay :think: .

Very inappropriate to my way of thinking :thumbdown: .

Tim

I agree.

I try to help other collectors when possible and its good to get a better deal.No doubt.Didnt care about the money its just the posting in the same topic was poor conduct. :thumbdown:

I think it would be better if the link was send to the buyer by pm or start a different post with links to items available.

RD

Since we're on the subject of V42's, found another on ebay just a few minutes ago item # 260683727958. This one goes right to the point "Buy Now" price $10,000. Add has extensive amount of photos. SKIP

I have been reading about and studying this type of knife.

Yesterday, it occurred to me that there are NO pictures of the front and back of the scabbard for this knife.

I sent the guy an email asking to see the scabbard. He sent me real tight photos of one small area.

So I asked again, he said he had already sent them. I told him I wanted to see the complete front and back of the scabbard. He said he would send them right over. Nothing arrived.

Do you suppose he has something to hide!! :think:

Crazy cool knife!!.....so do you guys think "Mr. Helpful" is the same guy all the time, always manages to send the same type worded message!.... :think: ...like Ive said before, i dont mind paying big $$ for the right item, but it sure is nice to find a mis listed item once and awhile, but then to have mr helpful ruin it really stinks sometimes!......mike

Hey Gang! That other V42 (Buy Now for $10,00) went for $7250. I guess they negotiated. SKIP

Skip,

How does this one compare to the first one?? :think:

Jack's Son-It can still be pulled up. There are good pics. V42 expert I am not. But, it's nice. At first I thought the scabbard had been cut-down, but was just folded and tied. Here's the ebaynumber again-260683727958. Click description, it will pull up. A couple of guys on this thread own V42's, I consider them the experts. Take the time to look and compare. You be the judge. SKIP

I have looked at both knives and have an opinion based on nothing but my own likes, and dislikes.

The V-42 that is "buy it now", seems to have a nicer blade. It is solid blue with no damdge to it at all. The other has some oxidation or pitting on some areas of the edge. The handles look pretty much the same, the buy it now does not seem as dry though. The scabbard on the buy it now is in nice shape, while the other knife dosen't show the scabbard at all.

All in all, I like the buy it now much better. If the prices are the same, the buy in now is a better deal. Even if the other goes for a higher number, the buy it now is still a better knive.

This is my beginners opinion only.

Jack's Son- You're learning. Knives and bayonets is one of those "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" type things. What you see, and I see might be a little different, or exactly the same.Also what one is willing to pay. It's all good, all fun.The nice thing about this forum is the folks you commuicate with. There is a tremendous amount of expertise here, and we all try to look out for each other. I learn towards the "Buy it Now", but both are nice. As far as V42's I'm the consumate dreamer/optimist, just know I'll stumble on that "great deal" sooner or later.I'm 61 years old, I hope it shows up sooner. I've rambled enough. SKIP

Jack's Son- You're learning. Knives and bayonets is one of those "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" type things. What you see, and I see might be a little different, or exactly the same.Also what one is willing to pay. It's all good, all fun.The nice thing about this forum is the folks you commuicate with. There is a tremendous amount of expertise here, and we all try to look out for each other. I learn towards the "Buy it Now", but both are nice. As far as V42's I'm the consumate dreamer/optimist, just know I'll stumble on that "great deal" sooner or later.I'm 61 years old, I hope it shows up sooner. I've rambled enough. SKIP

Hey Skip, we agree on the "buy it now"!

I understand about that "great deal".

I'm 58, and sometimes I swear that when my ship comes in.........I'll be at the airport! :w00t: