My Grandfathers WWII Bring Backs

Gutkowski

My Dad come over today to see his new grand daughter and he had a bag in his hand and said I forgot I had these thumbsup.gif

I know nothing about Japanese helmets so if you know about them I would be most interested in knowing what I have .

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1422.jpg

IMG_1423.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

And a US canteen cover with this in it ,

IMG_1429.jpg

IMG_1427.jpg

Plus there are a 3 ties (I am assuming thats what they are) 2 have my Grandfathers name on them and the other has someone elses name .I have never seen a tie like these .Plus there are 2 belts with his name on the as well ...

IMG_1425.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

IMG_1420.jpg

Here is the link to my Grandfather's memorial

http://www.wwiimemorial.com/registry/searc...=1&tcount=1

I will post all the Japanese that I have from my Grandfather in the next few posts .

Schnicklfritz

Your helmet is a pretty nice Japanese Type 90. The stamp on the liner pad will have information about the year. There is a Japanese forum on the Wehrmacht Awards forum that is very helpful with some top rate collectors on there:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

The canteen is also Japanese in a modified USMC 1st pattern Depot made canteen cover.

Any info on where your Grandfather served in the Pacific? I had a Great Uncle that was in the Marines pre-WW2 and served all the way through the war. He fought in the early battles at Guadacanel and several others. He was a grunt who saw alot of action. He would never talk about it though. He passed quite a few years ago.

Semper Fi,

Marc

This one is pretty neat all the tools have the same # on them

DSCF0412.jpg

From what I have been told is that this is a battle order

DSCF0436.jpg

DSCF1160.jpg

Sword belt

DSCF0411.jpg

Type 38 he captured on his birthday and carved it in the butt stock

gramps8.jpg

gramps.jpg

With the orginal sling and solders name tag on it

DSCF0355.jpg

Wow! those are nice bringbacks. It's really nice to have items that are identified to your family. Treasure them as most collectors don't have such personalized items I know I don't. Ray

Great collection of War Souvenirs. Your granddad had everything the homecoming warrior wanted to show his family back in 1945,,,,the captured flag, the rifle, a samaurai sword, the enemy helmet and more. Really nice stuff. It's good that it was passed down from your Marine grandfather to his son and now to you after 62 years. I'd guess you have at least a couple of thousand dollars worth of nice things......but with its histrory to your family.... it's priceless.

Keep it intact, well stored and in good condition and in 20 years or so you can pass it on to your kid! Ask your Dad about his USMC uniforms etc. Maybe they're in a seabag stashed away somewhere.

Write to St. Louis as his grandson and request a copy of his personnel file. You'll need his full name, date of birth, USMC service number and approximate dates of service. Send your request to: National Archives & Records Administration, National Personnel Records Center, 9700 Page Ave., St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. May take several months but you'll get them.

Semper Fi.....Bob

Oh I have his uniforms and I did post it in another thread but now I cant find it with the server change lol

But I will post them again so here they are ,

DSCF0425.jpg

DSCF0428.jpg

I had taken the ribbons off to have them dry cleaned and I think someone said I have them in the wrong order ?

75ca965e.jpg

DSCF0416.jpg

And a bunch of old money

DSCF0429.jpg

DSCF0430.jpg

DSCF0431.jpg

DSCF0432.jpg

DSCF0433.jpg

DSCF0434.jpg

Plus I have this old jacket of his and I dont know if it was common practice to have one of these in the USMC .I thought it was some kind of international dateline or time line jacket but his buddys signed it and my Grandfather's nickname was Mouse and kept it till the day he passed on .

I would like to try and clean the jacket but I scared to death to ruin this thing

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0423.jpg

DSCF0421.jpg

DSCF0420.jpg

DSCF0419.jpg

DSCF0418.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

vintageproductions

These jackets are usually a fraternity type jacket. They were very popular in the late 1920's through the early 1940's. Usually you see them from the major colleges or fraternal groups. Do not try and clean it. It will take the ink and drawings right out. These are also very popular in the Vintage Clothing business.

These jackets are usually a fraternity type jacket. They were very popular in the late 1920's through the early 1940's. Usually you see them from the major colleges or fraternal groups. Do not try and clean it. It will take the ink and drawings right out. These are also very popular in the Vintage Clothing business.

This jacket my Grandfather brought home from the war when he was travling on all the different ships so thats where I got my assumption .

Your helmet is a pretty nice Japanese Type 90. The stamp on the liner pad will have information about the year. There is a Japanese forum on the Wehrmacht Awards forum that is very helpful with some top rate collectors on there:

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59

The canteen is also Japanese in a modified USMC 1st pattern Depot made canteen cover.

Any info on where your Grandfather served in the Pacific? I had a Great Uncle that was in the Marines pre-WW2 and served all the way through the war. He fought in the early battles at Guadacanel and several others. He was a grunt who saw alot of action. He would never talk about it though. He passed quite a few years ago.

Semper Fi,

Marc

I cleaned it up and got this name on the bottom of the cover

IMG_1482.jpg