Smokeshow

What is you most valuable/ treasured item??

Outside of a few pictures, not much in the way of family heirlooms compared to some you guys ( how blessed you are too, to have them!), but I have one of my grandads Dogtags, and Pocket guide from his time in England. There are notes throughout, from places he visited and worked.

DSC01853.jpg

Hi HoovieDude, I was really pleased to see the map of the British Isles that you showed, the area that he has marked on the one map was possibly a civilian housing estate taken over for a U.S. Army camp, there were also other places within that area of England

I have two friends Fran & Martin Collins that live exactly there and they have researched and written books about the local area and the US Army troops that were stationed there-abouts. Take a look at the link below and check out the fourth book down it might be worth you finding out more about it.

On the far right of the top information bar there is a ' Contact Authors ', maybe send them an email you can mention my name to Fran & Martin and that I gave you the their link and you are researching your grandads history, give them his unit and that he was possibly in that location, mention the map etc.

http://www.englemed.co.uk/books/usaaf/

I really hope this helps to fill in some information for you. ;)

Kenneth Lewis

Young enough to care and enjoy militaria - Old enough to remember as surplus

" Life's too short for reproductions "

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

Hi HoovieDude, I was really pleased to see the map of the British Isles that you showed, the area that he has marked on the one map was possibly a civilian housing estate taken over for a U.S. Army camp, there were also other places within that area of England

I have two friends Fran & Martin Collins that live exactly there and they have researched and written books about the local area and the US Army troops that were stationed there-abouts. Take a look at the link below and check out the fourth book down it might be worth you finding out more about it.

On the far right of the top information bar there is a ' Contact Authors ', maybe send them an email you can mention my name to Fran & Martin and that I gave you the their link and you are researching your grandads history, give them his unit and that he was possibly in that location, mention the map etc.

http://www.englemed.co.uk/books/usaaf/

I really hope this helps to fill in some information for you. ;)

Kenneth Lewis

Many thanks :thumbsup: Unfortunately, with this Papa, I don't know what unit he was in. All I know is that he was a Postal Clerk, and supposedly never made it across the Channel. Guess thats why he went on to work for USPS post war, :lol: My uncle had told me his records were part of those lost in the St. Louis fire :crying:

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Many thanks :thumbsup: Unfortunately, with this Papa, I don't know what unit he was in. All I know is that he was a Postal Clerk, and supposedly never made it across the Channel. Guess thats why he went on to work for USPS post war, :lol: My uncle had told me his records were part of those lost in the St. Louis fire :crying:

Hey Hoovie, Fantastic he was a Postal Clerk, that's no problem take a look at the fifth book down ' letters for Victory ' it's about the first base postal office it's right where he has written in ink. It was a large warehouse on the side of a railway track at Sutton Coldfield, all the U.S. army mail and packages from America arrived at this postal warehouse for distribution throughout the rest of England.

Fran & Martin have tried to arrange listed building status for this warehouse citing that it was a critical building in the operation of WWII, back in the 80's they organised a veterans day there. This has got to be the buiding that your grandfather worked in, the book they wrote on this building has photographs of then & now and veterans etc.

This must be worth you contacting them you would see where he worked during the war.

Take a look at this link the building was granted listed building status checkout the information on it's use in WWII

http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en...utton-coldfield

good luck, lewis

Life is like a tank of gas, the closer you get to a quarter tank, the faster it goes 

Yours is the M37 enlisted cover emblem, used in WWII and into the 50s.

Teufelhunde.ret's emblem is I think "fire bronze" or something, but an officer's EGA.

Thanks shrapneldude,

Outside of a few pictures, not much in the way of family heirlooms compared to some you guys ( how blessed you are too, to have them!), but I have one of my grandads Dogtags, and Pocket guide from his time in England. There are notes throughout, from places he visited and worked.

I do understand that many people do not have the same amount of family militaria that I have. I makes me feel blessed to have it and humbled and that I have a duty to preserve it for future generations! In addition to the bible I also have all his dress uniforms, records, field web gear, lots of pictures and doube buckle combat boots. Many years ago my grandfather gave my dad his 1911 that he carried in the war with matching holster. It is made by Ithica and is nearly mint condition with only minor wear and a slight scratch on it. I also over the years gained most of the IJA bringbacks as well which may be worth more than most of the other items in my collection but for me the bible has the most meaning of all the items. Even though he died when I was 6 I feel like I know him a little better because I have all his militaria and can look through it. When we had to sort through my grandparents house after my Grandmother died it sometimes annoyed me at the stuff that they saved but after realizing how much I was blessed with this gift of these items it wasn't so bad ;) There have definetly been some awesome items posted especially of family members or of super rare items such as the 1878 Colt revoler.

I am looking for the following items to complete my Viet Nam helmet shells

- two helmet liners

(paratrooper or regular and would like WW2 to 1972)

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

- 2 helmet bands or other interesting helmet accesories

Interested in collecting any 1901st Engineering Avaiation Battalion Items

Or items named to John H. Gallagher Jr.

1918 LF&C Trench knife,from the one true friend I have. At the time I was having a rough time with a marriage and

he gave it to me to raise me out of a very bad state of mind. His grandfather carried it in WW 1.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

432nd Tactical Recon Wing patch, small sized for a party suit, from a family member that served at UDORN RTAFB in 1974.

432nd_party_suit_patch_SMALL.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Hoovie...that's a really hot lead which Ken has given you there re your grandad's service in the UK during WW2. It's got the makings of a great forum story! Keep us up to speed if you're able to follow it up and get some results.

Ian :thumbsup:

"We shall defend our island, whatever the cost may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender!"

Winston Churchill

" Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans."

John Winston Lennon

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

post-344-1287935323.jpg

Hi HoovieDude, I took another look at that map of your grandfathers and if I am seeing correctly he has marked in ink 'live ' close to a place called Whittington. Between 1942 - 44 the American army took over the British barracks of the Staffordshire Regt, it was used as a replacement depot ( repple-depple ). It would be only a short truck ride from there to the First Base Post Office at Sutton Coldfield which he appears to have maked ' work ' :think: .

Above is one photo of American troops at the Whittington barracks during 42-44. ;)

lewis

I've always considered Dad's uniform and jump boots as the top of my collection.

Greg

post-118-1287938331.jpg

My collection is strictly what my dad brought back from the ETO.

Sgt. Mahlon E. Sebring, 82nd Airborne, 319th Glider Field Artillery, A Battery - Normandy, Holland, The Bulge, and Germany... finishing with occupation duty in Berlin

http://ww2-airborne....ts/319/319.html

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

that is a beautiful uniform! thanks for sharing. I would have to go along with the family items and say that the pocket bible that my grandfather carried through Korea is the most valuable item to me in my collection. Unfortunately he got ride of everything else when he got home from the war except for his medals and scrapbook/photo album which he still has. Other than that I would have to say one of my most treasured is a run of the mill early war dress uniform just because it was the first I ever purchased.

donation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

donation2019.gif

I've always considered Dad's uniform and jump boots as the top of my collection.

Greg

Wow!!! What a nice collection with lots of sentimental value! Many thanks to your Dad for the personal sacrifices he made in all those jumps. Every time it gets cold in the winter or I see snow I think of the men at The Battle of the Bulge and how much they gave!

- two helmet liners

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

I have a few things in my horde that I value. The first is my paternal grandfathers WW2 Navy dress blues serge and White cap, of which I still need to take a picture of.

The other is a model 38 Arisuka rifle that my maternal Grandfather brought back from the Solomon Islands. I also have a second model 38 barrel and receiver that he brought back too.

Here is a picture of it with my SMLE Enfield:

DSC05017.jpg

DSC05016.jpg

The last is a porcelain US Navy Soapdish I found diving in Guam when I was stationed there. It was totally encrusted in coral and I was not sure what it was, until I dissolved the coral off with some vinegar.

DSC05044.jpg

Wow Pillage..you have some cool stuff there. The Arisaka and the Soap dish especially, cool stories behind both.

Just be careful not to fall while you are taking pictures from on top of the coffee table :D

"We are now up against live, hostile targets. So if Little Red Riding Hood shows up with a Bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch!"

Sgt. Wells

post-344-1287935323.jpg

Hi HoovieDude, I took another look at that map of your grandfathers and if I am seeing correctly he has marked in ink 'live ' close to a place called Whittington. Between 1942 - 44 the American army took over the British barracks of the Staffordshire Regt, it was used as a replacement depot ( repple-depple ). It would be only a short truck ride from there to the First Base Post Office at Sutton Coldfield which he appears to have maked ' work ' :think: .

Above is one photo of American troops at the Whittington barracks during 42-44. ;)

lewis

Ken, Hoovie, Ian,

Funnily enough, I actually don't live too far from the places mentioned on the map (I'm just to the left of 'Lichfield' near Stafford) and visit Birmingham fairly regularly. Sutton Coldfield is just a short drive from the City Centre. Over the weekend, I will take a look at your map more closely Hoovie and look into the barracks that Ken mentioned in the post above. I could maybe get you some pictures and send them over to go with the artefacts you already have :)

WWII USMC & USN - CAMOUFLAGE / CORPSMAN / PARAMARINE / MARINE RAIDER / DENIM / DECK JACKETS.

VIETNAM - CAMOUFLAGE / SF / 'IN-COUNTRY' ITEMS.

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

My parents even though not military. Probably my Colt 45(Not the drinking kind) and rifle carried by WW2 paratrooper.

:thumbsup: Very, very nice! My people were on the other side with Ol' Jubal. :lol:

I have a bible that belonged to a Confederate soldier that looks almost exactly like this one. The ink color is exact and the cover is very similar.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gif
donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gif

Always looking for 70th Division(The Trailblazers) items or photos.

Wow, nice Type 38. I have a Type 99 my Grandfather brought back which I have shot before. Very nice Enfield as well!

- two helmet liners

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

Wow Pillage..you have some cool stuff there. The Arisaka and the Soap dish especially, cool stories behind both.

Just be careful not to fall while you are taking pictures from on top of the coffee table :D

I was perched on an old oak school chair, not my coffee table. Though I have to admit I have stood on the coffee table too.

:thumbsup:

Greg

Your dad must have been quite the guy!

probably the most treasured items i have are my grandpa's navy stuff from '59 -'63.

everything is his except the hat and the red button (the button is his father's). the zippo's are the same as the ship annuals (USS JOHN S MCCAIN and USS LAWS) and there is another liberty cuff, but it's not pictured. the blue book in the center is his Blue Jacket's manual.

post-10495-1288423579.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2015.gif

Looking for: Washington and Oregon Coast Artillery items

Any items related to the Harbor Defenses of the Columbia River and the Harbor Defenses of Puget Sound, 1860s-WWII. This includes items from Fort Stevens, OR; Ft Canby, WA; Ft Columbia, WA; Ft Worden, WA; Ft Casey, WA; Ft Flagler, WA; Ft Ward, WA; Ft Whitman, WA; Camp Hayden, WA; and the following units that served at these forts:
Columbia River: 33rd, 34th, 93rd, and 160th Companies, CAC; and 18th and 249th Coast Artillery regiments
Puget Sound: 26th, 30th, 62nd, 63rd, 71st, 85th, 92nd, 94th, 106th, 108th, 126th, 149th, and 150th Companies, CAC; and 14th and 248th Coast Artillery regiments

Coast Defense Study Group member & site representative for the Columbia River forts

ASMIC member

Grandfathers stuff of course. The Ike is a put together. But the ribbons and SSI are his.

post-11587-1288459311.jpg

Eric

Looking for anything related to the Pioneer Infantry Regiments. Specifically the 4th Pioneers.

donation2011.gif

Grandfathers stuff of course. The Ike is a put together. But the ribbons and SSI are his.

post-11587-1288459461.jpg

Eric

Looking for anything related to the Pioneer Infantry Regiments. Specifically the 4th Pioneers.

donation2011.gif

more

post-11587-1288459550.jpg

Eric

donation2011.gif