Smokeshow

What is you most valuable/ treasured item??

I was wondering what item in your collection is the most valuable or meaningful to you? It could be worth a ton of money or maybe the value is all sentimental. Just post a pic or two if you have them so we can all see them. If you want to post the value of the item if you are comfortable that is great too. If you don't like someones item or disagree with them on value please keep your comments to your self!

I will start by saying that my most valueable item to me is my Grandfathers military issue bible he carried with him in Okinawa. It is the standard brown cover pocket version but it is the only military item he gave to me before he died and that is why it means so much to me. It may only be worth $5 but the sentimental value is much greater! (pics to follow)

I am looking for the following items to complete my Viet Nam helmet shells

- two helmet liners

(paratrooper or regular and would like WW2 to 1972)

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

- 2 helmet bands or other interesting helmet accesories

Interested in collecting any 1901st Engineering Avaiation Battalion Items

Or items named to John H. Gallagher Jr.

For me its my dads USMC Green Service Blouse and his Utility Jacket with the inked on Sgt strips.

donation2013.gif

GOD Bless Texas And All That Serve Her

I'd show it, but it isn't US.....

-Ski

In Memory Of......
Pte Harold Griffiths, 1805, 1/6th Manchester Regt, KIA June 4th, 1915 in Gallipoli
Cpl Isaac Judges, 40494, 6th East Yorkshire Regt, KIA October 3rd, 1917 in Ypres
May they rest in peace.....

MSgt - USAF Retired

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I just picked this one up - very similar to yours.

Do you know the details.

Thanks

post-8790-1287778453.jpg

I just picked this one up - very similar to yours.

Do you know the details.

Thanks

Yours is the M37 enlisted cover emblem, used in WWII and into the 50s.

Teufelhunde.ret's emblem is I think "fire bronze" or something, but an officer's EGA.

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

Here is the most valuable item in my collection. A Model 1873 Colt Cavalry Revolver actually produced in 1878. It has been authenticated by John Kopec a number of years ago. It was sub-inspected by Henry Nettleton and the Ordnance Inspector was Capt. John E. Greer. Both cartouches are clearly visible on the grips, along with the date. I won't say what I value this weapon at, but I paid $210 for it in 1966.

Retired

post-264-1287781862.jpg

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

Brigadier General Hartnoll J. Withers, USMC. Not because of the financial value, but because of the hundreds of painstaking hours I have poured into researching him and the units he served with for my Thesis and what will eventually be a biography of Withers. For anyone not familiar with him, he was critical in the development of the Marine Corps tank program and was a key opponent to the vastly under-equiped Marmon-Harrington CTL-3 tanks. He was also part of the 2nd Nicaraguan Campaign with 3/5, the Nicuraguan National Guard with Chesty Puller, served in Haiti and commanded 3rd Tank BN at Bougainville and Guam where he received the Silver Star and commanded 21st Marines on Iwo Jima where he received a second Silver Star.

post-1672-1287792319.jpg

Cpl James A Paris, USMC
Stinger Missile Gunner
H&S Co. Support Bn MCRDSD 2002-2003

MarDet Ft Bliss, TX 2003
2nd Plt 1st Stinger Btry, Okinawa 2003-2004
2nd Plt A Btry 3rd LAAD BN Camp Pendleton, CA 2004-2006

Please visit my blog: http://ourcountrysheroes.blogspot.com/

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

I have a small collection of war carried Bibles and Testaments from all faiths. This New Testament belonged to a private Adam Schaaf he was a member of 'A' Company of the 166th Ohio Infantry that was mustered for duty on May 13, 1864. The 166th was on their way to Fort Richardson for garrison duty near the White House and they participated in fending off Confederate General Early's attack on Washington on July 11-12. This battle took place near the White House while President Lincoln was there as he watched form a window. Adam Schaaf mustered out in September 1864 and lived a long life farming in Ohio. It's kind of neat knowing he carried this into battle 146 years ago.

0011204x903.jpg

0041204x903.jpg

A people that values its privileges

above its principles will soon lose both.

donation2009.gif

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

I have a small collection of war carried Bibles and Testaments from all faiths. This New Testament belonged to a private Adam Schaaf he was a member of 'A' Company of the 166th Ohio Infantry that was mustered for duty on May 13, 1864. The 166th was on their way to Fort Richardson for garrison duty near the White House and they participated in fending off Confederate General Early's attack on Washington on July 11-12. This battle took place near the White House while President Lincoln was there as he watched form a window. Adam Schaaf mustered out in September 1864 and lived a long life farming in Ohio. It's kind of neat knowing he carried this into battle 146 years ago.

0011204x903.jpg

0041204x903.jpg

:thumbsup: Very, very nice! My people were on the other side with Ol' Jubal. :lol:

WANTED TO BUY OR TRADE - AMERICAN FIELD SERVICE, NORTON-HARJES AMBULANCE CORPS, AMERICAN RED CROSS IN ITALY, CZECH AND POLISH LEGIONS AND ANY ARTIFACTS ASSOCIATED WITH AMERICANS THAT SERVED IN FOREIGN ARMIES IN WORLD WAR ONE

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

ecSXx.jpg

"Je meurs content, puisque nous sommes victorieux! Vive la France!

I won't hold that against you!!! :w00t:

donation2009.gif

I was wondering what item in your collection is the most valuable or meaningful to you? It could be worth a ton of money or maybe the value is all sentimental. Just post a pic or two if you have them so we can all see them. If you want to post the value of the item if you are comfortable that is great too. If you don't like someones item or disagree with them on value please keep your comments to your self!

I will start by saying that my most valueable item to me is my Grandfathers military issue bible he carried with him in Okinawa. It is the standard brown cover pocket version but it is the only military item he gave to me before he died and that is why it means so much to me. It may only be worth $5 but the sentimental value is much greater! (pics to follow)

For whatever reason I cant figure out how to edit my previous post so here are the pictures I said I would post

PA220244.jpg

PA220245.jpg

I am looking for the following items to complete my Viet Nam helmet shells

- two helmet liners

(paratrooper or regular and would like WW2 to 1972)

-2 helmet covers

(OD or camo)

-2 chin strap assemblies

- 2 helmet bands or other interesting helmet accesories

Interested in collecting any 1901st Engineering Avaiation Battalion Items

Or items named to John H. Gallagher Jr.

That's a great looking bible and wonderful inscription from your grandfather, Smokeshow. Cherish it always!

Jamie

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

HERE'S MINE, THESE ARE MY DADS FROM WW2.post-11207-1287774651.jpg

That's an awesome display, I love seeing Army service in the Pacific especially Combat Infantry with all those campaign stars!

Mine actually was all of my grandfathers original documents that My aunt gave to me about 8 months ago.

It was his original enlistment document, a letter from the Red Cross telling him that if anything happened the Red Cross would help his family while he was away, his medals, photos (with original photos of him in a fox hole in at the Bulge in December 1944), I found an original Thanksgiving menu he brought back from England, His uniform, cap, shirt, socks, his original dog tags on his Jhook chain. My father still has the long German Eickhorn (sp sorry) sword about 4' long, a German chrome bayonet, a K98 with the original bayonet he took together from the same soldier, a pair of German officers binoculars, German medals, some Tinnies, German St. Christopher medals, and other odds and ends. My grandfather told me when I was a kid he was going to try to sneak a German sub machine gun back, but it was stolen from his hiding place in Europe, the day he was scheduled to leave for home. The next best thing I found is I found his Unit still meeting once per year. The guys came up with 2 volumes of books of their stories together during the war. My grandfather passed in 1988. The guys first got the reunion together in 1990, so he missed by 2 years. The neat thing was there were good stories about things he did in the war in the books. Things I didnt know and things just his buddies remembered and wrote about him. They were a unit of Combat Engineers in the ETO. His arrived in France at the end of October 1944. After the war, he went to Africa, and parts of Europe to help rebuild. Since he was in Construction, it was good money for guys after the war to go over and help rebuild.

By far my most treasured item is a small bible that my great grandfather carried while serving in the Navy in WW1. He then gave it to my grandpa who carried it with him in the Army in WW2.

post-6201-1287811784.jpg post-6201-1287811793.jpg

The original writing is from New Years day 1917 at sea aboard the U.S.S. Bridge with longitute and latitude, mileage from N.Y., and "stormy weather." On his way home from the war in Europe aboard the Queen Mary my grandpa added his distance from N.Y., and listed "fair weather."

post-6201-1287811811.jpg

post-6201-1287811822.jpg

The front inside flap has a poem copied down by my great grandpa "The sea was tossed, the sky was gray, but on we sailed on Christmas day" 12-25-17 My grandpa added the date 12-12-46. My great gpa also placed a small photo of himself in uniform inside the Bible and wrote "Son God Bless you and keep you pray much and Gods love is always with you. Dad"

post-6201-1287813037.jpg

Sorry for repeating what was written, I wasn't sure how clear it looks.

There is just somthing about holding the Bible that my grandpa, and great grandpa carried and took comfort from and seeing the message written from a father to a son who is going of to an uncertain fate. I wouldn't give this up for anything in the world.

These are all fantastic historic items and if it weren’t for our veterans and current military forces we wouldn’t be posting here because there would be no such forum. :thumbsup:

donation2009.gif

Outside of a few pictures, not much in the way of family heirlooms compared to some you guys ( how blessed you are too, to have them!), but I have one of my grandads Dogtags, and Pocket guide from his time in England. There are notes throughout, from places he visited and worked.

DSC01843.jpg

DSC01848.jpg

DSC01854.jpg

DSC01853.jpg

DSC01595.jpg

DSC01596.jpg

DSC01597.jpg

DSC01601.jpg

A chalking, picture with him and my two great uncles, and newspaper clipping of his death, of another Grandads grave marker, at Henri-Chappelle American Military Cemetery, Belgium.

DSC01599.jpg

Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can, if necessary, look any man in the eye and tell him to go to Hell! US Cavalry Manual, 1923