Sons of Veterans of the United States of America

Bob Hudson

Looking through a folder of old farm records (mortgages, receipts, etc) at the swap meet this morning, my eye was immediately drawn to the one very military looking document, an apparent muster roll form from the 1890's.

It turns out to be from the SV USA - the Sons of Veterans of the United States of America. There's a nice little history of the SV USA at http://groups.msn.com/MajGenThomasHowardRu...anshistory.msnw and it explains that this spinoff from the Grand Army of The Republic actually functioned as militia units:

The Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War was a creation of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) which was formed in 1866. Wanting to pass on its heritage, the GAR in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania created a Corps of Cadets in 1878 which later became the Sons of Veterans of the United States of America (SV). This latter organization was formed in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania on November 12, 1881. The SV units functioned much as National Guard units and actually served along with state militia during the Spanish American War. In 1904, the SV elected to become a patriotic education society and in 1925 changed its name to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). However, to keep the military aspect alive, the SUVCW created within the organization the Sons of Veterans Reserve (SVR) which was carried on the Army rolls as a Reserve contingent. Some SVR units served with the Army during World War I. After World War I, the SVR was listed as a training company of the U.S. Army.

There were actually two of the blank forms in the folder. They are folded in thirds:

svusafrontcu.jpg

svusafront.jpg

svusaback.jpg

Forum Support,

Here is a period picture of these Sons of Veterans. These armed members of the SV served as Militia as you mention.

SV_picture.JPG

I did some research and found these papers came from a James Fritz Woodburn, born in Appanoose County Iowa in 1870 to a William L Woodburn from Pennsylvania, but have not yet found anything about the father's Civil War service.

Does anyone have any pins, badges etc. from the SV USA?

I did some research and found these papers came from a James Fritz Woodburn, born in Appanoose County Iowa in 1870 to a William L Woodburn from Pennsylvania, but have not yet found anything about the father's Civil War service.

Does anyone have any pins, badges etc. from the SV USA?

Look in the Veteran's Organizations section of the forum for several examples of SV items.

Here is a link to a couple of examples of the SV medals. There is also this photograph shown above and a web Mills cartridge belt in the section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3543

Look in the Veteran's Organizations section of the forum for several examples of SV items.

Here is a link to a couple of examples of the SV medals. There is also this photograph shown above and a web Mills cartridge belt in the section.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=3543

Thanks - I've moved this into the Veteran's Organizations section. I am trying to find out more about the militia aspects of the organization. The above quote about that is intriguing and this form does seem like something that goes beyond just the fraternal aspects of the group.

"Thanks - I've moved this into the Veteran's Organizations section. I am trying to find out more about the militia aspects of the organization. The above quote about that is intriguing and this form does seem like something that goes beyond just the fraternal aspects of the group."

The Sons of Veterans Reserve (the armed militia of the SV) served in several wars. During the Spanish American War two companies of SVR served with the Michigan Militia and six companies served with the Indiana Militia. An entire regiment of SVR volunteered from Indiana but only 6 companies actually served. SVR units volunteered for service in WWI but no units were federalized, with trained individuals serving in various units. These units survived between the wars and the insignia is an officer style cap eagle with SVR entwined on the eagle's chest and the banner in the eagle's mouth reads, "Vilii Veteranorium" in place of the great seal. I believe they are still active in some states today.