Help me pick a tent...

Holloman

I've got the opportunity to get a new tent, which I will use for WWII reenacting. None are period original, but are complete and in really good shape. I can choose either a GP small or a M1945 Command Post tent- both are in like-new shape and canvas, with liners and poles. I know both are a bit farby, but which is the better choice?

(I hate to be inaccurate, but these are a killer deal that I can't pass up...)

First off, GP Smalls are not WWII. They came a good bit later - 1950's I believe. M1945 Command Tents were, I believe, used VERY late war. If not, then close enough to be called "WWII era".

I have a M1945 myself and it is a great tent. It is darned near the only WWII era tent with mosquito netting. With mine, I would take some extra poles and turn the side wall facing the public into an awning for shade over my display. I would roll the back wall canvas up but leave the mosquito netting zipped down, which would allow good air flow but keep someone from sneaking in and grabbing something from the display. The M1945 has an entryway at one end. This is a perfect place to store whatever you have you don't want the public to see: Cooler, plastic storage tubs for your display, modern sleeping stuff, etc.

And, on hot summer nights, you will be getting a breeze while others in WWII tents will be roasting or being eaten alive.

Tom

Gah...

Turns out the M1945 is Vinyl. My new plan is to just try to get BOTH. (A Canvas GP small and the Vinyl CP tent)

Gah...

Turns out the M1945 is Vinyl. My new plan is to just try to get BOTH. (A Canvas GP small and the Vinyl CP tent)

BUMMER! :crying:

Tom

Armed 2 tha Teeth

I don't know how killer the deal is, but why buy either. Both are inaccurate, no camo netting is going to change that.

Why not get some original shelter halves if you need tentage. You could probably buy a pile of them for what you will pay for the vinyl postwar tents.

I'm using them for other things that shelter halves can't be used for... Like a command post. I've got the shelter halves but this would allow me to set up other things, like footlockers, newspapers, and other small items that shouldn't be out in the open or exposed to a lot of sunlight. BTW- neither are going to be bought per se... I am doing trades.

Well, I got them today- turns out the guy who was selling was a DRMO junkie and had a bunch of cool stuff to show me. M1941 stoves, footlockers, folding tables, field desks, etc. I am positive that I am going to be getting more goodies from him soon. He even had an unissued (I hope) folding double latrine. It was constructed similarly to a plywood footlocker, but it folded into one plane. Here are some pics of my new tents. (Soon to be unraveled and set up)

STA70240.jpg

They take up a LOT of room in my garage...

STA70232.jpg

This tent has yet to be unfolded. It's unissued. (That's the story at least)

STA70237.jpg

STA70238.jpg

Poles and stakes...

STA70231.jpg

STA70233.jpg

STA70235.jpg

STA70236.jpg

Spec labels and drawings...