Leyte Gulf aviator's jacket

VenitHora

in honor of the anniversary of the Battle of Leyte gulf, I thought I'd post a jacket that I feel fortunate to have. The jacket belonged to J.P. Haggerty, a radio operator on an Avenger attached to VT-29 off the USS Cabot. Haggerty's pilot Lt. William Anderson won a Navy cross at the battle of Leyte gulf for a torpedo hit on a cruiser in Cabot's attack on the IJN battleship Musashi. Here are excerpts from the Cabot history:

"Lt. McPHERSON led

the TBM attack with Lt. ANDERSON and

Lt. (jg) SKIDMORE in an attack on the

leading Japanese battleships.

However, Cabot's shining hour of the battle

came when she helped sink one of the world's

largest battleships Japan's Musashi."

and an account from Anderson himself from the book "wings of gold" by Gerald Astor:

:

"We got in pretty close, straight and low,opened the bomb bay doors, and pickled off the torpedo.....My gunner, Richard Hanlon, said he saw it drop and head for the cruiser before he lost sight of it. The radioman, Joe Haggerty, said he saw it hit the cruiser. I was credited for having hit the cruiser and got a Navy Cross but I'd be hard-pressed to swear to the fact"

After the battle of Leyte gulf VT-29 took part in the sinking of the Imperial Japanese Navy's other super battleship the Yamato in the battle of Okinawa.

"The Cabot made five strikes

against the Yamato and was credited with three

torpedo hits by Lt. ANDERSON and his Avengers.

The Yamato exploded and capsized"

post-8296-1287716562.jpg

That's one awesome jacket! I remember when Andrew had it. I was 5 minutes too slow :) Glad to see it's in good hands.

Kurt

I may be mising something, but whay does a radio operator have pilot wings? I'm I seeing the tag incorrectly?

This isnt unusual for WWII EM jacket tags. The guy wasnt a pilot, but he used a tag with wings to reflect Naval Aviation rather than as Pilot status. I have a few like this .

Kurt

That is an awesome jacket. Let me know if you are selling it. Named jackets that have been researched successfully are in my opinion the pinnacle of any collections.

Johnny Signor
This isnt unusual for WWII EM jacket tags. The guy wasnt a pilot, but he used a tag with wings to reflect Naval Aviation rather than as Pilot status. I have a few like this .

Kurt

It is a little out of the ordinary as usually the ARM's have the "lightning" bolts symbol on their name/rank/rate patch , at least I've seen a few that way .

Johnny

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I found this topic while searching for some more info on VT-29 to go along with a squadron patch I just picked up. Beautiful jacket with a great story behind it!