sewing on patches

erctut1

I am building my Grandfathers Ike. I just sewn on his 4th Army patch. I was going to do a cross stitch but I think this looks pretty good. Have any of you seen patches sewn on this way? I'm sure alot of soldiers did it themselves and there was all sorts of styles. How does this look to you? Thanks!

post-11587-1287676715.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Although i agree with M1Marksman regarding the same colour thread, you have done a good job at stitching them on. I have seen and owned a few ikes and four pocket jackets with this style stitching, i have even come across none matching thread as well so I would not worry to much about it.

As long as your happy thats all that matters.

All the best

Ollie

I think it looks fine. So many of these WWII soldiers (millions) sewed their own stuff so any which-way is appropriate.

Don't forget that many-many soldiers used a non-matching thread as a way to give their uniform a bit more individualized look. I have several of those in my collection with different color thread and in fact prefer them.

Good job!

Km

I think it looks fine. So many of these WWII soldiers (millions) sewed their own stuff so any which-way is appropriate.

Don't forget that many-many soldiers used a non-matching thread as a way to give their uniform a bit more individualized look. I have several of those in my collection with different color thread and in fact prefer them.

Good job!

Km

Thanks. I wanted them to stand out and I think I accomplished that. I did the same with the chevrons but I think I over did it and will probably redo them.

I have no idea what the patch would have looked like as far as stitching in WWII. However, forty years ago it was all pretty professional.

post-6574-1289625019.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a service shirt with an SoS patch and PFC stripes sewn to it. The Service of Supply patch is machine stitched, while the PFC stripes are hand-sewn in a strange pattern that almost covers the border of the chevrons with thread. The sewing pattern is similar to the above 4th Army patch, but the distance between each stitch is about 2 millimeters or so, giving the chevron the appearance of being bordered in white.

If anyone cares or is curious, I can try to take a photo.

-John

Professional army but not always professional sewing.

Here's items from two different WWII vets who obviously did their own hand sewing:

That style of cross-stitching on the Seventh Army jacket was very popular during WWII and may very well have been done by a seamstress.

And not to be too nit-picky, but the US Army in WWII (as in most of the US' wars) was not a professional army, it was a draftee army.

gooseandspoons

I always doubled up on the thread when I sewed my BSA patches on, I see a lot of WWII uniforms like that. You can see the stitch better and it re-enforces it a little better than just single thread stitch.

And not to be too nit-picky, but the US Army in WWII (as in most of the US' wars) was not a professional army, it was a draftee army.

Well said... I was going to mention that, but I figured I'd let someone else take the heat. The Army in WWII was the furthest thing from professional. Both of my grandfathers served, and I'm sure that if their had not been a Second World War, they would have stayed in their pre-war jobs of truck driver and oil plant worker.

To segue... My grandfather was in the 11th Armored Division and later transferred to the 79th ID during the occupation. His 11th AD previous service patch is machine-sewn on his Ike, and the 79th ID patch is hand-sewn. Whatever worked, I guess...