ww2vault finds

ww2vault

Actually, I just realized that the cap may not be a soviet hat. It might actually be a WWI overseas hat. Does anyone recognize the symbol on the front?

- Jeff

post-1090-1211711417.jpg

Sure thing Larry, here are some close-ups of the sights.

- Jeff

Jeff,

The left sight is from a M1896 Krag rifle and the right sight is from an M1903 (Springfield) rifle. The M1903 has the slide on backwards... adjusting screw should be on the right side of the sight.

Hope this helps.

BEAR

p.s. Krag sight shown in picture is a later model (1901) sight.

What an old fool I am... I really shouldn't try to show my stupidity around all the experts here.

It really is a carbine sight.

BEAR

"FILIAHO!"

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I hit a couple yard sales today just a little south of Fort Bragg, and for those of you who don't know, Fort Bragg is known for the Airborne and Special Forces. Back during WWII Fort Bragg was primarily for the Airborne and Field Artillery.

One of the first yard sales I hit at 8:00 in the morning was one just ten minutes from the front gates of Ft. Bragg. There was a lady who advertised about military items in the local paper and I knew it was going to be the one, and it was.

She specified nothing was to be sold BEFORE 8:00 so I got there ten till 8:00 and asked if I could just look around. At that time I was the first one there and I quickly found the bin full of military gear. Then probably right at 8:00 some guy comes up and asks the lady what she will take for the whole lot of military items, without even looking at what was there. Some how he ended up changing his mind and didn't buy anything.

At that time I found a hammock, A BDU with Special Forces patches, and a pair of Jungle Boots. I was heading over to the lady to pay for the items and spotted a small wooden box sitting on the table. I recognized the symbol on the cover and knew it was military related and was thinking about getting it. Low and behold when I opened the cover, there sat six medals, and the price for the box and medals was $.50 cents!

So my first purchases came to a total of $9.50. I then left and went off to a couple other yard sales without luck. The whole time I was thinking that I should probably go back and ask the lady if she knew who all the military gear belonged to so I could put a name to the items.

So I ended up driving back to the ladies setup and asked her who they belonged to. She told me it was her husbands items from when he was in the Rangers and Special Forces from 1968 until he retired in the early 90's. His name is Dennis Chew. I gave her my e-mail address and asked her to e-mail me any background history on her husband and his time in the service so I could have a little provenance behind the items.

Now knowing that all of the items belonged to one guy I bought the rest of what she had for sale. I ended up buying a total of 22 items, all for a grand total of $25. Not bad at all if I say so myself! :D

The items are as follows:

.:. 1985 dated footlocker.

.:. Wooden box with, "Rangers" stenciled on the cover.

.:. Army Flashlight.

.:. Small Military Wooden box.

.:. 1977 Pistol Belt.

.:. Six Medals.

.:. Lowering Line.

.:. 1976 Nylon Survival Vest.

.:. Two Man Tent; I will have to look for markings later.

.:. G.P. Net.

.:. 1968 dated pair of Jungle Boots.

.:. 1983 Airmans Survival Kit.

.:. 1968 Dated Jungle Hammock.

.:. 1979 dated Heat Retentive Sleeping Shirt.

.:. 1981 Dated Army BDU; No Patches.

.:. 1977 Dated Army BDU with collar rank patches and Special Forces SSI.

.:. 1972 Cold Weather Field Jacket with Special Forces patches.

- Jeff

post-1090-1213461433.jpg

Wow Jeff... The $25 buck mother load! I never find this much stuff when I rummage! Of course I'm not in Ft. Bragg either. Congrats! bravo.gif

VERY good deal for $25! I am jealous! Can you post a pic of the survival vest? I am assuming it is a USAF piece?

Arch

The Ft. Bragg area has been fertile ground for collectors for years. Apparently a number of soldiers elect to retire there, both for low cost and the available facilities. I've heard a number of stories of "garage sale" treasure troves, unfortunately many after the veteran has passed away. Many of the spouses regard it as their husband's "Army junk" and put a very low value on it.

I also heard at one time that the surplus stores in the area were also a good source.

Thanks for the comments everyone. thumbsup.gif Arch, I attached a couple pictures of the survival vest. ;)

- Jeff

post-1090-1213614369.jpg

post-1090-1213614405.jpg

• 4 years later...

The next group is made up of various papers that range from WWI portrait photos to a dinner menu aboard the U.S.S. Steamer Bay and WWII era maps.

The following group consists of some more WWII maps, a WWI portrait photo, and a couple para-trooping photos but they appear to be post-war for there are a couple African-Americans with them.

- Jeff

Nice stuff Jeff. If you're interested in selling the USS Steamer Bay piece please let me know. My grandfather was on that ship and it'd make a great gift.

-Shawn [email protected]