PACKBOARD MEDICAL BAG

LtRGFRANK

post-551-1287441563.jpg

Heres a Packboard Medical bag. Attaches to the packboard to carry medical supplies to remote areas. I would guess the mountains of Italy. Does anyone have pictures of it in use. Would be happy and thankfull for any. Robert

THanks for the picture out of GI Collectors Guide. I hope someone has a picture of it in use in combat. But I think this was a little used item. Probably late war. Robert

I could be wrong as I have no documentation, but I believe that bag was procured for use in carrying the Gas Casualty Set, M2. And since no gas was used during WW2, the bags didn't see much, if any, use. That's why they always seem to turn up in unissed condition.

I could be wrong as I have no documentation, but I believe that bag was procured for use in carrying the Gas Casualty Set, M2. And since no gas was used during WW2, the bags didn't see much, if any, use. That's why they always seem to turn up in unissed condition.

Also robinb could I assume you have the Gas Casualty Set,M2? :think: Robert

GliderRiderMedic
But I think this was a little used item. Probably late war

Actually if I remember correctly from my research, they were developed early in the war because they were issued at least to some units before the Normandy operations. According to all of the veterans I have talked to that encountered them, they were universally despised as uncomfortable and a "pain in the *** to use".

The medical unit I reenact had them as part of their kit for the purpose of carrying the bulkier items in their supply kit (at least on paper) for the Normandy operation, but I have never found any mention of their actual use. Of course, the problem is that there is only one surviving member of the unit that I am aware of and he is not "in the mood" (his words) to talk about his experiences so I haven't had a chance to ask him about it. I have a pretty extensive collection of photos and have never seen any of the packboards being used in actual combat. However, I will go back through the pictures and see what I can find.

craig_pickrall

This data is from a WW2 pamphlet comparing WW1 and WW2 Medics gear. I posted the complete booklet here somewhere. You can probably find it with a search.

post-5-1287596187.jpg

post-5-1287596194.jpg

post-5-1287596201.jpg

Thanks Craig. Thats what I was looking for. The Forum comes through again. Now to get my %&$# photo printer to work or replace it. Robert

• 3 months later...

I know a very NICE picture of a 10th Mountain div. member in a DUKW on Lago di Gardo with this pack on his packboard. Will try to look for it (or ask Jeren to put it here ;o))

Frankie

craig_pickrall

To me this pack looks more like the larger version of the Jungle Pack. The straps run the same as the JP but not like those on the Medical Pack.

Here we are - group of men from 10th mountain division, Lake Garda, Italy 1945

Thanks for posting, Jeren

hmm.. maybe it really isn't the medical pack...

Btw.-It looks they've put a Jeep on DUKW, a 1/4ton trailer on the Jeep and a photographer on the trailer :w00t:

The improvised use of Plywood Packboards as external pack frames seems to have been relatively common 10th Mountain Division in Italy in 1945.

I would be interested to see Packboards employed in this manner by units other than the 10th Mtn.

Here is another example this time with the M1944 Field Pack Combat and Cargo attached to the Packboard most visible in the foreground left.

post-2980-1296790433.jpg

From the SC description:

ROCCA CORNETTA AREA, ITALY.The morning and afternoon preceding the attack on Mount Serrasiccia, these men of the 86th Infantry Regiment, 10th Mountain Division, trained for mountain fighting, lay down in an Appenine snow bank and sleep. 18 Feb 1945

Buffalo Grunt

I actually just bought this packboard on E-bay and was going to see if anyone could tell me a little aboput it, so I might as well jump on this thread.

Any comments and or information would be greatly appreciated.

post-3866-1296842989.jpg

post-3866-1296843020.jpg

More to follow

Looks like you've got the Pack mounted perfectly :thumbsup:

The Pack you have can be used on Yukon Packboards as well; the 2 big web loops at the top are for insertion of the wooden uprights on the Yukon. Another variation (don't know which one came first) has 3 web straps with buckles at the top for fastening to the horizontal dowel at the top of the Yukon board.

I fastened my else... But I am not 100% sure, if the straps on my bag isn't a little bit different from yours.. I do not have any loop from such a wide webbing as I can see on your posts 16 and 17..

post-9248-1297009310.jpg

post-9248-1297009318.jpg