New information about my assault vest. I don't remember if it's a Tweedie or a J. A. Shoe, it is in my parents home in Normandy. This assault vest was found in a attic in the town of Montebourg. In one of the pockets I found a medical bulletin with a name Captain Marsico. I never found anything about this captain.

Here two pictures, the assault vest when I found it in the attic and the medical bulletin with the name of the Captain Marsico.

giletbh2.jpg

journalht1.jpg

My interest is all about the US paratroopers in Normandy and Southern France.

I like too the FSSF and his action in Southern France.

• 8 months later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Figured I'd add one more vest to this thread. J.A. Shoe 1944 marked Medium. Overall quality of the vest, wouldn say mint, but it's a good example. These pics dont do it justice. They're from when I first received it 2yrs ago and made a quick sloppy attempt at a manaquin while moving. If any other pics would like to be requested, I'll have to see about pulling it out of display from the museum.

dscn05109ee.jpg

dscn05113nr.jpg

David,

Nice "J.A. Shoe" vest you have there. thumbsup.gif Any chance you could post some detailed photos?

Thanks,

Bryan

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Whos says he's Glider Infantry?

Might be 8th IR/4th Div....

He is not a Glider nor a 8th Infantry Div

His name is Bill Shanklin from the 101St, but I dont remember the excact unit to which he belonged.

They are several other ( posed) pics of him

T

WOODS NOW U.S MARINE CORPS ENTIRELY, our lines include now the entire Bois de Belleau. Signed, Major Shearer "Skipper" 5Th Marines, 3rd Bat - June 25th 1918

donation2008.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2020.gif

Got over to the museum today to get some pics of my vest. Not the best, but I tried to work with what I had for a camera and area. Some pics make the material looks like it has waves or something, this is a photo screw up on my part. One correction I need to make is that it's a size Large, not medium like I had originally stated. I honestly havent got to look at it much the last couple of years, which is a shame. crying.gif

Front

img0079ei1.jpg

Upper front quick release strap

img0080vv0.jpg

Lower left pocket and grenade pocket with grenade tape. This is also in the right side also.

img0081rv9.jpg

Right side shoulder quick release strap.

img0082ly5.jpg

Front bottom

img0083dl9.jpg

Front (angle)

img0084qd1.jpg

Cont'd

Rear Upper Pack

img0085pk1.jpg

Rear Lower Pack

img0086bp6.jpg

Manufacturers stamp

img0088em8.jpg

Upper pack flap

img0090bg8.jpg

Rear

img0092nk5.jpg

Inside, upper portion of pack size marking (bad pic)

img0093ya5.jpg

Inside lower portion of pack size marking

img0094vv5.jpg

Inside lower left waist pocket and waist area

img0095nh6.jpg

Inside lower of pack snaps. Left snap marked "scovill", other snap unmarked.

img0098mm5.jpg

One correction I need to make is that it's a size Large, not medium like I had originally stated.

David,

I was wondering about that because I have yet to find a JA Shoe manufactured vest other than size large (with the exception of Johan's which is size small).

Great assault vest and thanks for posting the pictures. thumbsup.gif

Bryan

“There's not much I can tell you about this war. It's like all wars, I guess.The undertakers are winning.The politicians who talk about the glory of it.The old men who talk about the need of it.The soldiers, well, they just wanna go home.” Jimmy Stewart in Shenandoah

donation2007.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

David,

I was wondering about that because I have yet to find a JA Shoe manufactured vest other than size large (with the exception of Johan's which is size small).

Great assault vest and thanks for posting the pictures. thumbsup.gif

Bryan

Yeah, I just kinda sassumed medium off my memory since it fit me well and Im not the biggest guy in the book. :lol:

• 1 year later...

Question:

What are the stupid little straps on the shoulders for? I've bought a repro one, and the straps on the shoulders seem totally pointless. Do they have any specific function, or were they put there, because they "might be useful"?

Thanks,

Jon

WWW.FAAA.ME.UK

"Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boys wish.
Except an Apache helicopter, an Apache helicopter has machine guns and missiles. It is an unbelievably impressive compliment of weaponry. An absolute death machine."

• 11 months later...
Question:

What are the stupid little straps on the shoulders for? I've bought a repro one, and the straps on the shoulders seem totally pointless. Do they have any specific function, or were they put there, because they "might be useful"?

Thanks,

Jon

I think they may have possibly used it to keep the straps from the M7 gas mask bag secure around the shoulders.

I have heard that most of the first assault wave troops (99% from one source) during the Normandy landings were wearing the Od#7 vests instead of the Khahki produced ones? Is there anyone who has any info on this?

Looking for anything related to Army Ranger Battalions from World War II

• 8 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For s long time, there is one OD-7 vest for sale in the shop in St. Mére-Eglise, for 5000 Euros, don't you know if it is a original one?

Btw.- wonderfull pictures, I did not know that so many vests still exist..

Frankie

For s long time, there is one OD-7 vest for sale in the shop in St. Mére-Eglise, for 5000 Euros, don't you know if it is a original one?

If it's the same one I saw the last time I was in the shop, Yes, it is an original Tweedie made example.

At Ciney there was another JA Shoe for sale, again for 5K

f_poll.gif '29th,Let's Go!' f_poll.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

• 9 months later...

Thats an Excellent Video Link there and thanks for sharing it with us Very Impressive :thumbsup:

You can also see a Soldier on a stretcher from the 1st I.D Big Red One and 3 Soldiers from the

29th Div climbing off the Boat, along with 3 Visible 2nd Rangers Batt Soldiers wearing there Helmets on walking up the steps.

http://www.Paratrooper1944.Com/

https://www.facebook.com/paratrooper1944

IN MEMORY OF IRISH/AMERICANS FROM MY COUNTY.
Cpl: Patrick Gallagher, 3rd U.S.M.C Div K.I.A 30/03/1967 Navy Cross
Sgt: Patrick Nevin, B.Co. 1st Bn, 12th Cav, 1st CAVALRY Div K.I.A 23/02/1966

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

While I'm at it, here's another clip of Rangers boarding LCA's for their trip to the transports: http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675067...g-Craft-Assault. And one more: http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675067...g-Craft-Assault. Various units with assault jackets; the last segment may be 1st Division troops boarding APA45, the USS Henrico. Troops rescued from a foundering LCVP from APA33 USS Bayfield http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675046...l_ship-underway.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

One more: Various assault troops boarding transports. Possibly 1st Infantry Div. troops. One (at 2 min. mark) may have an assault jacket with the pack removed. http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675061...way_combat-gear. Last one for now: 4th Infantry Division troops wearing assault jackets move inland; one carries a pole charge http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675038...-advance-inland

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.