WWII US Coast Guard Aviator Grouping

KASTAUFFER

I recently acquired this group on E-Cheap and was very happy to get it.

From the time the USCG Aviation program was put into place up until the end of WWII, there were only @ 500 Coast Guard Aviators who were commissioned. These uniforms are much rarer than a WWI Air Service uniform if you just go by the numbers. This is the first one I have had the chance to acquire in 30 years of collecting.

This group belonged to a USCG Aviator who earned his wings of gold in January 1945 and subsequently flew patrols off the coast of the eastern seaboard. He served through 1946.

Photo of Ensign Streett in his aviation green uniform ( the one I dont have! )

MVC_016L.JPG

Photo in front of a Helldiver.

MVC_017L.JPG

His USCG Aviator Certificate # 419

MVC_018L.JPG

His Flight Jacket . This example is an AN-6552 . It is missing the spec label . You can tell what it is by the lining, the pockets , and the white US on the back of the collar.

MVC_006L.JPG

MVC_007L.JPG

Full and shirt size Naval Aviator wings, overseas hat officers device , and rank insignia

MVC_009L.JPG

MVC_011L.JPG

His USCG Ring

MVC_012L.JPG

Original early pair of WWII USN contract Bausch and Lomb Aviator Sunglasses. Later became " Ray Ban " .

MVC_013L.JPG

Greenback V-5 patch and an original black crackle lighter. Not a Zippo unfortunately.

MVC_014L.JPG

Original USN contract silk flying scarf.

MVC_015L.JPG

I also acquired some program and booklets from the various schools he attended, but I did not photograph them.

This thread is dedicated to all the Coastie pilots out there. That means you too Garth !

One more item!

Here is the Aviator ID book to pilot was both a USCG Aviator and a USCG Helicopter Pilot during WWII.

He was USCG Aviator # 190 and USCG Helicopter Pilot # 67

Kurt

MVC_001L.JPG

Kurt, you are certainly fortunate to be the caretaker of such a fine grouping. It's apparent that you care about preserving history, and such a fine piece of history your grouping is. Thank you for showing. Jack Angolia

Croix de Guerre

Excellant post Kurt and what a wonderful grouping! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Have you tried to research your pilot? I'm always curious about the rest of the story. :thumbsup:

Tom

Excellant post Kurt and what a wonderful grouping! Thank you for taking the time to share it with us. Have you tried to research your pilot? I'm always curious about the rest of the story. :thumbsup:

Tom

Thanks Tom!

I have a copy of his seperation document listing all of his duty stations. I know the basics, but I havent written for his whole service record yet. He basically flew search and patrol missions off the east coast in 1945. I wish I had his Flight Log!

Thanks

Kurt

Brian Dentino

Kurt, yet again another outstanding grouping in your hands! Man, how do you do it? Just amazing....these Coastie groupings to an aviator are not a dime a dozen, and so complete! :thumbsup: Glad you have it, and thanks so much for sharing it with the rest of us. That flight jacket looks amazing, BTW!

Kurt,

This is just a super group, and I think greatly under appreciated. I put these guys in the same group (as far as being appreciated) as the Stateside Naval pilots that flew patrol over our shorelines in WW1. I do think however, that your CG group is more rare. Another great group.

Regards, Dennis

Kurt,

This is just a super group, and I think greatly under appreciated. I put these guys in the same group (as far as being appreciated) as the Stateside Naval pilots that flew patrol over our shorelines in WW1. I do think however, that your CG group is more rare. Another great group.

Regards, Dennis

Thanks Dennis :thumbsup:

Kurt

I noticed that ENS Streett's Pilot card is signed by RR WAESCHE. There is a newly commissioned cutter named after him! Pretty cool stuff. If you ever want to sell... :- ) Very historically significant piece of CG history, in my opinion.

• 2 years later...

I seem to have missed some nice groups.

Great set! Nice flight jacket!

JD

Thanks JD! I find it hard to keep up with you though. You have posted some awesome groups lately,

Kurt

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement, but an old collector once told me that at the height of our air power in 1944, there were roughly:

Ten AAF Pilots for every one USN Aviator;

Ten USN Aviators for every one USMC Aviator;

And ten USMC Aviators for every one USCG Aviator!

If those figures are anywhere close to the truth, that would make your USCG Aviator grouping exceeding rare in its own right. Then add to that value the sure completeness of the grouping and the fine condition...and wow! What a speculator piece of US Aviation history!