473rd Infantry Regt 92nd Div KIA Heart

scottplen

Here my latest i think its a cool one!!

Pvt Harwill B Huntley Officially engraved PH and mothers pin

473rd IR was a mish mash of all white AAA Units converted near end of war to form Task force 45

since AAA units were no longer needed and the 92nd need bolstering

it was attached i believe in Feb 1945 along with the 442nd to the all African american 92nd div

they keep 2 better regts and replace 2 regts with these units

it was joking called tthe Rainbow div. due to it diversity !!

still researching so wrote for IDPF anyone have any info please let me know!!!

post-620-1287086766.jpg

post-620-1287086778.jpg

CLH on NOK pin

seems my research is too large a file to load

Found him listed on 473rd IR KIA list

having problems finding his enlistment record He was Il

The four AAA battalions - 434th, 435th, 532nd, and 900th were not converted to "Task Force 45". On 15 Feb 45 the 473rd IR was attached to TF 45, which operated under VI Corps. TF 45 had been formed earlier from assets of the 45th AAA Bde. The TF consisted of approx 60 + different Allied units in Italy, incl US, British, Brazilian, and Italian. These incl standard AAA, FA, AFA, tank bns, TD bn, IRs, etc.

Further, the 92nd Div had two regiments relieved of duty - the 365th and 371st. Only the 370th remained; it was beefed up w/ better assets of the other two regiments; the 442nd and 473rd IRs replaced the two relieved.

The four AAA battalions - 434th, 435th, 532nd, and 900th were not converted to "Task Force 45". On 15 Feb 45 the 473rd IR was attached to TF 45, which operated under VI Corps. TF 45 had been formed earlier from assets of the 45th AAA Bde. The TF consisted of approx 60 + different Allied units in Italy, incl US, British, Brazilian, and Italian. These incl standard AAA, FA, AFA, tank bns, TD bn, IRs, etc.

Further, the 92nd Div had two regiments relieved of duty - the 365th and 371st. Only the 370th remained; it was beefed up w/ better assets of the other two regiments; the 442nd and 473rd IRs replaced the two relieved.

THANKS I believe he came from one of those AAA units not sure

So they replaced the 2 african american regts with the 473rd formed from white AAA units and 442nd from shipped in from france! to reorganize the 92nd division! I think i got it???

I know a tab for this unit is pretty rare I assume a KIA Heart would be too?? :think:

Yes, you understand the TO & E of the 92nd now.

Yes, he probably was in one of the AAA bns, but the 2nd Tank Group formed the HQ & HHC of the 473rd, and he may have been assigned there and transferred to one of the line companies. The 473rd had a lot of casualties in its short life, but this is the first PH or any decoration from the regiment I have ever seen.

Scrolls are common, but uncommonly expensive. DIs are both uncommon and uncommonly expensive.

I put 92nd div patch in for display only Have been told by a few forum members who know more than I

do that most 473rd IR guys would have worn 5th army patch! so i will correct this for my display !!

THANKS TO Dave :thumbsup: for all info and links to research!!!!

• 8 years later...

Scott,

Very interesting PH Group. Look forward to seeing what you find out about the soldier.

Regards,

John

I may be 9 years too late.....

I just bought an officer's uniform of the 473 Infantry Regiment. I saw that other groupings included a unit history for this regiment. I knew this would be hard to find so I googled it and I FOUND A COPY!!!

The booklet is usually identified with title "Battle History: 473rd United States Regiment". Published in 1945. It includes an Honor Roll roster and a list of those receiving medals.

Included in the Honor Roll is:

PVT. HARWELL B. HUNTLEY, 816 N. Winnebago St., Rockford, 111

Link to the unit history for the 473rd Regiment. Be warned: it has the usual typos caused by poor OCR software.

https://archive.org/stream/BattleHistory473rd/BattleHistory473rd_djvu.txt

Custermen

This is an image of the cover of the history but I can't tell if the 473rd tab is printed on the cover OR if it is a real patch that is attached.

post-3558-0-73985000-1560368538_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...