Jeeps & Other Military Vehicles

2ad82recon

M37, our unit in Vietnam had one with a 283 chevy from a M114. Dual exhaust, " Tops" vehicle, would do about 70! Unsure of what happened to it when we stood down. Problems with them are differentals, way to slow for driving around town.

That is interesting; I used to see a lot of restored M37's around, but never driving. Looking at the specs, it seems the M37 had a 5:83:1 ratio, while the WWII jeeps have a 4:88:1. Willys CJ-2A's came in at 5:38:1, but were marketed as more of a farm vehicle.

A company sells a better gear ratio front and rear ring and pinion set. Think "Army Motors" has ad for them, or just google it. Friend had one back in the 80s-90s, we used it for Vietnam displays, got to drive it to Jametown for MTA one year, lots of memories.

• 1 month later...

I ran across this and thought it was worth sharing, the first photo shows a 'Slat grill' MB at Camp Crowder in southwestern Missouri, but the second photo is hard to make out (same location by the way), I think it lacks a glovebox door though. Camp Crowder was a Signal Corps training facility for most of the war, but also taught other things.

slatgrill.jpg

slatgrilljeep.jpg

If it has a glovebox, it's either a late slat or an early standard grill. It still has the script name in the back panel, no jerrycanholer and the rear reflectors in the high position. Nice pics!

• 5 years later...

I love the pictures in this thread.

The picture of the doughboy was a wedding gift from my friends

My current and formerly owned military vehicles:

• I used to own a CUCV K5 Blazer.
  • I used to own a 48 Willys CJ2A (ok, it's not military but it was neat)
  • 53 Studebaker Deuce - gasser. not running. Painted red by the fire dept that had it before.
  • 76 Kaiser Deuce - not engine or tranny. Just rolling chassis with van shell
  • three 3/4 trailers

If I were able to buy the following vehicles I promise not to buy anything else (maybe):

• Harley WLA
  • M37
  • Willys M38/MB
  • Ford GPW

doughboyOnMotorcycle.JPG