Jeeps & Other Military Vehicles

2ad82recon

Good morning everyone...just a starter topic here on what MVs we have.....i personally own a 1942 Willys MB Jeep that i restored from a "farm find" to what she is today.

Called CONNIE in honour of my mum and she is marked up as C-15 C Co 82nd Recon Battalion 2nd Armored Division circa July/August 1944

My next project will be a White or Autocar M3 Half-Track..... :D

Will post ics of my MB

Regards

Lloyd

post-6-1167501188.jpg

Good morning everyone...just a starter topic here on what MVs we have.....i personally own a 1942 Willys MB Jeep that i restored from a "farm find" to what she is today.

Called CONNIE in honour of my mum and she is marked up as C-15 C Co 82nd Recon Battalion 2nd Armored Division circa July/August 1944

My next project will be a White or Autocar M3 Half-Track..... :D

Will post ics of my MB

Regards

Lloyd

I was surprised to discover how many WWII jeeps have been restored in Europe and the UK. At local newstand I found an MV collectors magazine from the UK and was introduced to all sorts of other interesting military vehicles. It made me wish that when I was a teenage I would have followed up on one of those ads in the Back of Mechanic's Illustrated, the ones that offered Surplus Army Jeeps $500

I recently found a WWII Jeep jerry can bracket and since I decided it would be a very, very, very long wait before I ever had all the other parts of a Jeep, I offered it for sale to someone who already had the rest and to my surprise, someone in Europe bought it. I'll post a photo of that in another thread as a reference.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bob and all...here is a picture of Connie...my 42 MB...she led the veterans day parade today here in Haverhill ,Suffolk...carrying 2 WW2 vets.....1 a former Royal marine and the other ex -REME.....

Because without the veterans sacrifices we would ne be allowed to have the freedom to collect and re enact like we do today.

Thank you veterans...ALL OF YOU

Regards

LLoyd

Hi Bob and all...here is a picture of Connie...my 42 MB...she led the veterans day parade today here in Haverhill ,Suffolk...carrying 2 WW2 vets.....1 a former Royal marine and the other ex -REME.....

Because without the veterans sacrifices we would ne be allowed to have the freedom to collect and re enact like we do today.

Thank you veterans...ALL OF YOU

Regards

LLoyd

For some reason the photo didn't come through. If you tried to add it as an attachment, you may have left out a step. I've some details on that process here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...t=0entry8

• 1 month later...

Well, here's my list of military vehicles:

1941 M3 37mm antitank gun

1942 M1A1 75mm pack howitzer

1943 MBT 1/4 ton trailer

1943 WC52 Weapons Carrier

1943 WC62 Personel Carrier

1944 Chevy 1 1/2 ton Cargo truck

1944 MZ2 USMC radio Jeep

1944 Signal Corps RL35 reel cart

1945 1 ton cargo trailer

1943 M3A4 handcarts(3 of them)

M1942 USMC handcart

M1917 Wheeled Litter Carrier

M1940 handcart

My shop is quite crowded, so the pics aren't very good. The Pack Howitzer is under restoration. The trail and rubber tires are "in the mail" as I write this. The cart photo has the RL-35-A reel cart in the forground, three M3A4's, and the M1942 USMC in the back.

MVC_120S.JPGMVC_121S.JPGMVC_122S.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1942 very early production Willys 'slatgrill' MB jeep. Other WWII vehicles owned by friends are various MB and GPW jeeps, Dodge WC56, Harley-Davidson models UA, WLA, WLC and XA, Zundapp K500 with sidecar etc. :)

Greetz ;)

David

Hi Robin your collection of militaria still blows me away..... w00t.gif

Here is another pic of my 42MB in her alternate guise as a Medical Jeep with my partner Michelle driving...her alternate markings are of the 50th Field Hospital Army Nurse Corps....

Enjoy

Regards

Lloyd

post-6-1167526640.jpg

Johan Willaert

The 'Wheels' Collection

MygpwT3-top.jpg

GPW Jeep with Bantam T3 Trailer....

MG138969Nieuwpoort.jpg

Westfield Columbia Model MG Army Bicycle

42wla31854.jpg

Harley Davidson Type III 42WLA

BSAMkV.JPG

British BSA Mark V* Bicycle

JW17564TopView.jpg

John Wood Utility Hand Cart

Enjoy!!!

Jim McCauley

Hello All,

I have a 1944 WC51 that I purchased restored. Just a few finishing touches and I'm going to be completely happy.

Best regards.

Jim

post-184-1167667517.jpg

Even nicer from the side Jim....i am not to keen on the later "step through" WCs..

I used to have a WC52 that was originally a WC55 Gun Motor Carraige and had the 37mm gun on the back...cassis number 81529098..the 97th WC off the production line.

She was then converted back to a WC52 but retained all the early features...and re enforced chassis for the 37mm gun

it came from Norway

Regards

Lloyd

Jim McCauley

I just had my two nephews, ages 3 and 5, out for a ride in the weapon's carrier.

I think we can count on the five year old as another militaria buff. thumbsup.gif

He asked some of the best questions about the truck. My favorite statement was," Wow! 1944! That was a very long time ago!" I think his grandparents might think it wasn't that long ago. :lol:

Jim

How much is an average price for a running willy's?

$10.000 to $15000 for a decent restored standard vehicle. :blink:

And please it is Willys not Willy's. crying.gif

Greetz ;)

David

Unless I win the lotto that will not happen as long as I have kids to take care of... maybe when they are out on their own then I will have one but by that time it will be 30K!

John

Dont neccesarily give up John..you have a few options here..Dodge WCs are geneally cheaper and are an ideal "starter" vehicle

or if you have mechanical skills..try to find a resto project

Regards

Lloyd

You can also check the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Association) website. They have a classified ads section here: MVPA classifieds . I think they are the same adds that are in the magazine that goes out to their members. This will give you an idea of what they are going for but there are still a lot of these vehicles sitting out on lots or in a barn somewhere that people are finding everyday with an owner willing to negotiate a worthwhile price. As a matter of fact, there is a company in town close to where I live that has a WWII era-looking 2 1/2 ton truck out front with a sign on it I keep meaning to stop and look at. Maybe today.

There are also military vehicle websites that have forums covering most vehicles you will likely find that you can look over and see which vehicle would meet your "mechanical abilities" (for lack of a better term) as all these vehicles need some form of constant maintenance, even if it is just a parade vehicle. Reading these forums will also demonstrate the support chain (knowledge and experience from other owners) that is available too. Steel Soldiers is one website, there are other vehicle-specific websites out there too.

I have a 1954 M37, 3/4 ton Dodge of Korean War - Post VN era. Very easy to work on and parts are still plentiful.

Hey Mike L..dont put off going to look at that deuce and a half much longer buddy...it wont be there forever.

You can bet the farm that the day YOU decide to go speak to someone about it..is the day that you get informed that "some guy from outta town came and gave me a $100 for it and he took it away".....

Our collectible vehicles are getting fewer and fewer

Regards

Lloyd

Hi,

I'm restoring an Achilles (tankdestroyer) from a friend of mine.

It was totally rusty...

Hopefully we can restore him nicely thumbsup.gif .

Greetz Johannes.

Sorry I don't have any pics.

Charlie Flick

P5130108.JPG

Here is my ride. A 1942 Dodge WC-53 3/4 ton 4WD Carryall. A frame-off restoration that took forever. One of these days I will have to take some better pics.

Charlie

WOW ! Charlie i didnt know you had an MV aswell...what a beautiful WC53 Carryall.

A real credit to you ..those are scarce vehicles.

Please feel free to post up more pics

Thanks

Lloyd