509th PIB anybody?

Last one for now! I'm mostly here for the history, 509th and WWII airborne of course, so I had to show these guys off. Didn't know about "Snake's Daughter", though you missed "Silver Wings and a Gold Star" (still available from McCall Books), "A Corporal Once" (Xlibris still has it) and "We Jumped to Fight" (good luck finding it, I tripped over it on eBay). "Bloody Clash at Sadzot" is in the mail.

I do have more sets of the OPFOR patches, but only have SGT (3 small stripes) shoulder boards. No Hero of the Battle or CLS badges, sorry. And for some reason I can't find my combat stars, must be with the beret in storage.

post-26685-1298598413.jpg

• 1 month later...
The 509th Parachute infantry Battalion. Anybody heard of them? Not many can say they have. As it turns out hardly anyone can tell me who they were and are. It just so happens that one of the most little known units of WWII were one of the most decisive.

A bit of back round info:

The 509th were on paper a regiment, but in reality only a Battalion. They were the first ever US airborne unit to ship over seas to train, they made the first ever US airborne combat jump in North Africa, and participated in every major allied assault-(except D-day and Market Garden, they were unable to attend because they were held up in the fierce fighting in Italy) of the war. Pretty amazing huh? It really makes no sense that hundreds of books and TV shows have been written for the 82ed and especially the 101st, when these guy had beat them all to combat. I take pride in the fact of being the only confirmed 509th PIB historian in the Greater Portland OR area, but is any one else out there? I would very much like people who know any cool stories about the 509th, or have any pictures, or gear, or anything at all concerning this unique unit to post. Hopefully with your help I can Get the word out... Thanks guys! - Andrew

Hi, Never used the forum, sometime computers are a challenge for me. I have found that researching men in the 509th and the 517th to be imposible. I wonder if you could help me, since I just locally got this fellows gear w/ lots of letters . NAME : Jack Foley, from Butler county Ohio, #35261830, in co I 502nd then off to AFRICA in 509TH, THEN TO ITALY, then in Dec to replacement co, looks like 430THREPL. cO..hE WAS COMBAT INFANTRY and have pics of him with CIB ..... just cannot find him listed anywhere as a member of 509th. NARA confirms his enlistment ...but then nothing else...like he fell off the map...no death records, birth records in ancestory .com......and I have googeled everything I can figure. Any help would be appreciated. my email is jbmilitary2@fuse.net. thanks, John

Very interesting!...im hopeful someone here can help you out with your research!....when you get the chance, can you post some pics of his gear?....what kind of stuff do you have, did you happen to acquire his helmet!?.....thanks and good luck....mike :thumbsup:

Always looking for and buying 50's era 11th Airborne/ 187th ARCT/ 82nd Airborne tac mark painted jump helmets!

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2017.gif

Hi, Never used the forum, sometime computers are a challenge for me. I have found that researching men in the 509th and the 517th to be imposible. I wonder if you could help me, since I just locally got this fellows gear w/ lots of letters . NAME : Jack Foley, from Butler county Ohio, #35261830, in co I 502nd then off to AFRICA in 509TH, THEN TO ITALY, then in Dec to replacement co, looks like 430THREPL. cO..hE WAS COMBAT INFANTRY and have pics of him with CIB ..... just cannot find him listed anywhere as a member of 509th. NARA confirms his enlistment ...but then nothing else...like he fell off the map...no death records, birth records in ancestory .com......and I have googeled everything I can figure. Any help would be appreciated. my email is jbmilitary2@fuse.net. thanks, John

Try sending off to the National Personnel Records Center requesting information him. Here is the link to the Form-180 that you need to use. Just fill in the information that you have and they will provide you with copies of all of his existing records. Hopefully they weren't destroyed in the 1973 fire.

http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-...d-form-180.html

Visit My 76th Division Collection Website!

http://76thdivisioncollection.blogspot.com/

Always looking for 76th Infantry Division Items and Information!!

385th, 304th, and 417th Infantry Regiments : 355th, 364th, 901st, 302nd Field Artillery Battalions

301st Medical and 301st Engineer Battalions

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

• 3 years later...

The 509th Parachute infantry Battalion. Anybody heard of them? ........ Andrew

I have.......in 2009 I posted this on the WAF.

http://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341622

I even posted it on this forum, but not many have looked at it on this forum.

Many of my photos were also used in the French Military magazine article on Paul Huff.

I have heard of the 509th, and the 1st paratrooper to be awarded the CMOH, Paul Bert Huff.

Ron

• 7 months later...