LAST LAST UPDATE ON M1 HELMET

BILL THE PATCH

BILL THE PATCH

NOT GOING TO TOUCH UP ANYTHING ELSE ON THIS HELMET, I THINK I DID A FAIR JOB ON THIS. I WENT BACK A SANDED A LITTLEPLUS A LITTLE MORE PAINT. WELL WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK.post-11207-1286991905.jpg

Bill...this is constructive criticism, so please accept it in the spirit it which it's offered. The cork is too coarse and too thinly spread. It's "floating" on the surface rather than being integral with the paint. As I said in the other thread, I've done this myself and know how hard it is to achieve that authentic "factory finish". My first attempt was similar in appearance to yours. I wasn't satisfied so I wire-brushed it off and re-did it. The second attempt was better. I eventually sold it on ebay...and haven't felt the urge to do another since then!!

Ian :thumbsup:

BILL THE PATCH

i love the constructive criticism, only way to learn. should i sand it all off? or just until it has the "in the paint look"

instead of the floating on the paint look. can i sand it down more? and the cork should it cover all of the helmet? i see i do have a couple of lighter applied area's. the pic i got from you is hard to get a good feeling of what the whole helmet should look like. also the paint i buy is 18.00 dollars a can are other brands in hardware shops the same od green? sorry for all the questions. thanks bill

Bill...I suppose you could try sanding it down further but wouldn't that maybe completely dislodge a percentage of the cork as it's only stuck to the surface of the paint? Do I recall you "sprinkled" the cork onto the wet paint? A better method is to gradually mix carefully controlled quantities of cork into the paint and apply with a brush. This will allow you to move the cork around and, theoretically, get better and more even coverage. A few gentle strokes with the bristles will remove any brush marks and that, coupled with the texture of the cork, will give a passable finish. A second coat will seal the cork and help it blend in to the paint..it also serves to fix it. (Baking is optional!)

Ian :thumbsup:

To get the cork to lay down, what I did, and also what I read on a restorarion website somewhere, was to

get a can, can of soup or whatever and while the paint is still damp, roll the can over the cork while at the same

time you're pressing down and putting force on the can to make the cork lay down. You're definitely gonna have

to apply a lot more cork. That was the reason I said the other day about going to Wal-Mart and gettin the stuff

to make the cork with. That way you can put on as much as you need because you'll go thru it as you run the

can over it and some falls off. You'll get there, you just have to go thru a little trial and error, but it all works out.

BILL THE PATCH

THANKS GUYS, i will do the best i can with this one. i'm going to look around for another fixer upper, so to speak. so the paint at wal mart is a good substitute?

THANKS GUYS, i will do the best i can with this one. i'm going to look around for another fixer upper, so to speak. so the paint at wal mart is a good substitute?

Yes, the paint is Krylon Camo Green. Krylon makes three colors for hunters, a black, brown, and this green that

you'll want to get. You can't miss it. It says Krylon Camo on the can. Where I am, I think the last can I bought cost me $4.67. When you read about restorations on websites and the paint question comes up, this color green is the

one thats mentioned as being close to an original color without having to go to Murray or At The Front.