I don't get it...

Justin

Anyone see this? 5 pieces of basic m56 gear that aren't worth more than a few dollars alone selling for over $100...??! :ermm: This isn't the first time I've seen this :fear: are people just willing to pay more if this stuff is already put together? What do you think? I notice the same thing with put together Vietnam helmets too...

This is just ridiculous, it's not even complete. (5 pieces) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I can't post pictures for some reason if someone can do that.

Justin,

It is what it is, and I think you are right that some people would rather spend the money on something that is complete, or close to it than have to wait and hunt around to find piece by piece what they are looking for. Although the grouping listed is not complete, it is close enough, and the buyer may have the canteen's and other items...

Leigh...

PS,

I just noticed too that the winning bidder only has a 34 for feedback score, so the person may be fairly new to EBAY and is not knowledgable about the actual price of M56 gear...

The buyer seems to be bidding on a lot of Vietnam era military items, according to the profile...

Ebay is what ebay is. It is a "thing" that corrupts the norm and makes the abnormal the normal. Now, I challenge you to put together a set and try selling it and I can with amlost absolute certainty tell you that you will not make as much money as the individual items are worth. I had WWII MP belt, shoulder loop and all the gadgets on it. Tried selling it as a group and the going price was less than a quarter what the whole set of pieces was worth. I disassembled the thing and promptly sold all but one of the pieces and made double what the individual items were worth, go figure.

US Victory Museum

Let's look at today's Ebay offerings:

Please note:

These prices reflect artifacts without frays, tears,

holes, or corrosion. Cheaper items with one or more

defects can be found for less.

Pattern 1956 Suspenders.

Buy it Now $15.00 c $4.00 S/H

Buy it Now $19.95 c $5.95 S/H

Buy it Now $11.99 c $4.99 S/H <- Best @ $17.00

Pattern 1956 Pistol Belt.

Buy it Now $19.99 c $10.00 S/H

Buy it Now $11.88 c $10.25 S/H <- Best @ $22.13

Ammunition Pouch

1x Nylon pattern 67

Buy it Now $10.99 c $ 5.95 S/H

Buy it Now $12.99 c $ FREE S/H

1x Canvas pattern 56

Opening bid $19.00 c $10.02 S/H

Opening Bid $25.00 c $ 5.25 S/H

Opening Bid $ 9.95 c $ 4.90 S/H

2x Canvas pattern 56

Opening bid $11.95 c $ 7.50 S/H

Butt Pack

Pattern 1956

Buy it Now $34.95 c $ 7.95 S/H

Pattern 1961

Buy it Now $40.00 c $ 8.00 S/H

Buy it Now $29.50 c $ 7.50 S/H

Pattern 1967

Opening Bid $ 8.00 c $ 5.00 S/H

So, let's assume that a buyer can get a butt pack for $25.00

(including shipping) and that both canvas ammunition pouches

are won for $15 ea. w/ $5 shipping, and the Pistol belt for

$22.00, and the suspenders for $17.00.

I am assuming some optimism and good fortune at winning some

items at low prices.

This puts a ballpark price of $98.00 on the package. A big

chunk of that is shipping; nevertheless, that's part of the

final price.

The final strike price was $109.50 which isn't far off the mark

if one fails to win each individual item at the best price.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I don't suppose you've observed some of the packages our fellow

forum member HOC1983 has been raking in the cash with?

Sept 25th 2009 $ 162.50

M56 Yolk, belt, butt pack, canteen, shovel pouch, compass pouch,

2x magazine ammo pouches.

Aug 05th 2010 $ 347.00

(Same as above)

Aug 27th 2010 $ 232.00

(Same as above)

Sept 13th 2010 $ 510.00 <------ !!!! KFC? !!!!

(Same as above plus smoke grenade & 56 Intrenching tool cover.)

Sept 28th 2010 $ 315.00

(Same as Aug. 27th 2010 plus a rifle cleaning kit.)

My personal theory is that he's packing medicinal marijuana

into those kits to get that kind of cash. ;-)

In the vernacular of economics whether speaking about bubbles,

or ponzi schemes, each relies upon the "bigger crackhead" theory.

You can make money selling anything, you just have to find a

bigger crackhead to pay more for it.

let me add, I won pretty much the same thing for $57 two nights ago. All it needs is a nice condition canteen (which I have.)

Guess sometimes people just got to have it.. :lol: I hope those people keep buying my Vietnam helmets for $70 - $150 :D

post-2305-1286992084.jpg

post-2305-1286992088.jpg

Let's look at today's Ebay offerings:

Please note:

The only fly in your ointment is that we need to come back to these very items and see what the opening bid items sold for if at all and see how many of the "buy it now" prices sold. There is no way in God's green earth I would pay $43 with shipping for a M-56 butt pack! I had a mint, in the bag M-61 butt pack and couldn't move it for $25 on this forum or eBay, so $43 is way out of the ball park. I had M-56 suspenders that were still tied in bundles and couldn't move them for $7 on this board or eBay, so the prices reflected in your statement are not actually market price until they bear that repeatedly in sales.

As for a forum member selling these items for these prices to our own forum members, can't answer that one. Maybe some of the buyers can pipe up and explain their actions. This board should be informing people, so maybe they can inform us as to the prices they are paying because there is no logic to it, the sum of the parts do not bear out the prices.

I don't suppose you've observed some of the packages our fellow

forum member HOC1983 has been raking in the cash with?

Sept 25th 2009 $ 162.50

M56 Yolk, belt, butt pack, canteen, shovel pouch, compass pouch,

2x magazine ammo pouches.

Aug 05th 2010 $ 347.00

(Same as above)

Aug 27th 2010 $ 232.00

(Same as above)

Sept 13th 2010 $ 510.00 <------ !!!! KFC? !!!!

(Same as above plus smoke grenade & 56 Intrenching tool cover.)

Sept 28th 2010 $ 315.00

(Same as Aug. 27th 2010 plus a rifle cleaning kit.)

My personal theory is that he's packing medicinal marijuana

bigger crackhead to pay more for it.

Yes I'm actually pretty good friends with him and we talk about his insanely high prices he gets for his stuff, more power too him. Perhaps it's cause all his stuff is top notch unissued? I guess people like that kind of stuff more :w00t:

Yes I'm actually pretty good friends with him and we talk about his insanely high prices he gets for his stuff, more power too him. Perhaps it's cause all his stuff is top notch unissued? I guess people like that kind of stuff more :w00t:

I'm thinking about buying one of his repro m7 holsters, but I dont plan on paying $100+ :lol:

Agree with Hawk, I've had the suspenders 'mint' in bundles and couldn't move them for 10 bucks each, belts, canteens, covers, all good M-56 stuff that didn't do a thing. However, I never thought of putting them together and doing the 'complete set' deal. Now that I'm seeing this....I just might do that with what I have left.

Leatherwringer
Agree with Hawk, I've had the suspenders 'mint' in bundles and couldn't move them for 10 bucks each, belts, canteens, covers, all good M-56 stuff that didn't do a thing. However, I never thought of putting them together and doing the 'complete set' deal. Now that I'm seeing this....I just might do that with what I have left.

put me down for a setup when you get one together.........I dont want to pay ebay prices....but I am willing to pay :thumbsup:

I've been stockpiling nice bits of M1956 stuff for this day... Mwuhahahaha.

As we say in the surplus business, you can't buy too high but you can buy too soon. The M1956 gear and any of the slightly later canvas gear has been rapidly climbing for the past year or two. There is a large airsoft/re-enactment scene out there composed of younger people who shop online and who are creating the demand. If two of them happen to be bidding on Ebay at the same time, well there you go. I also just sold an assortment of canvas web gear from about the same era on Ebay for $127, so these prices are easily sustaining themselves despite the recession. The Vietnam war is now the war of the grandfathers and uncles just as WWII may have been our father's and grandfather's war. I myself could never understand a Vietnam re-enactment but my younger customers, and I run one of the larger brick and mortar airsoft hobby shops around within my surplus store, share non of my political baggage regarding that conflict. And yes, bundling is the way to go because the younger generation, apart from having shiitake mushrooms for brains, is hopelessly addicted to instant gratification and aren't about to wait to piecemeal together an ensemble.

So like it or not the M1956 canvas goods are the hottest things around and those who did stockpile are thanking Baby Jesus for their good fortune. Right now I am stockpiling used woodland BDUs.

Whoa... Now that is odd... Shame, all I have is a dumb old M1910 and about half a dozen stupid old WWII dated M1943s. I do all my landscaping with a well-worn M1943. Note to self. Get some of those things and retire...

"My personal theory is that he's packing medicinal marijuana

bigger crackhead to pay more for it."

Hmmm, I am not sure how I want to approach this as I am a bit mentally worn from doing a move and having my mother being ill so I will defer it till a later time for fear that I might get a bit nasty, but I will say I do not appreciate the remark of packing drugs into my item's!(also I did not sell any set with smokie's. If you are going to refer to my listings then have the small bit of decency to READ the listing.) That being said, I guess you don't know half as much as you think as far as doing business as you miss the largest part of selling which is marketing. The largest factor for any successful business far and away is how well it is marketed and I take a great amount of pride in what I do which is reflected in what my item's sell for, as most of the time they are very dedicated collector's who buy them and feel the sincere effort that I put into my web sets and respond as such in their feedback. Feel free to try and ride my coat tails my friend as you put it all together so it should be a can't miss thing for you, just make sure you start it at .99 like I do with no lame reserve, but I doubt you could as once again your words speak volumes that you really don't know how to sell, or at least how to do it profitably. To be honest you just sound jealous. ;)

Cheers,

hoc1983

P.S. Thanks Justin for at least speaking up for me.

I'm thinking about buying one of his repro m7 holsters, but I dont plan on paying $100+ :lol:

And another one! Yeah, sorry Grant, I don't sell reproduction anything bud nor have a clue what you are talking about in M7 holsters.. Shheesh, come on..

You know what, I have sold a LOT of stuff to forum members and more then once gave it to them for less then what THEY offered for it, let alone what I could sell it for. I guess I just have to like you, or at least not dislike you to be real about it which takes a bit of doing to happen, Hey, and guess what... ;)

I think if someone has great mint items and gets good money for it more power to him. If you don't like his prices then turn the page. But remember- When you are looking for that "MUST HAVE" item he might be the one that has it. Careful on whose toes you step on. When prices go high that makes my collection worth more. Now lets move on and don't insult anyone. Robert

And another one! Yeah, sorry Grant, I don't sell reproduction anything bud nor have a clue what you are talking about in M7 holsters.. Shheesh, come on..

You know what, I have sold a LOT of stuff to forum members and more then once gave it to them for less then what THEY offered for it, let alone what I could sell it for. I guess I just have to like you, or at least not dislike you to be real about it which takes a bit of doing to happen, Hey, and guess what... ;)

He's not talking about you Kevin lol. He's talking about the seller of the first lot I posted.

Sorry I should have been more clear. I was referring to this item http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-US-M7-Leather-Sho...02#ht_944wt_905. Thank you Justin :thumbsup: and Kevin I hope you don't feel any animosity against me :unsure: .

-Grant

Sorry about that Grant and I apologize for being so rude, just a bit angry about how I was compared by someone that has no clue and the fact that it was insinuated that I put drugs in with my items for them to do what they do., still a bit chaffed on that one but life will go on as I know it. :)

Cheers,

Kevin

I think if someone has great mint items and gets good money for it more power to him. If you don't like his prices then turn the page. But remember- When you are looking for that "MUST HAVE" item he might be the one that has it. Careful on whose toes you step on. When prices go high that makes my collection worth more. Now lets move on and don't insult anyone. Robert

Thank you Robert. :salute:

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin,

Long time no see, when we were intially talking about this, I thought it was you, you do a great job of piecing together these rigs. I don't think anyone was upset with you for getting the money you do out of these rigs, matter of fact, if the seller can get that, based on the market and marketing ability, power to you. I believe that most of the responses, to include mine were aimed at the public buying these. The general laziness to pay that kind of money, which you have to admit is insane based on the average prices of the equipment that is readily available on the market today. As opposed to doing the research and building your own out of what is unarguably readily available equipment. I think this has come out of frustration of the rest of us trying to do what you have been successful at and getting poor results. I bow to your marketing strategy and maybe you can put on a webinar for the rest of us, I would attend.