Grandpa's Ribbons

illibov

Greetings,

I'm sure that I'm bothering people with my questions about my grandfathers (here and here), but I have a couple more. My mother's father was in the Army in WWII and I've just sent away to St. Louis to try and get replacement medals for him with the help of the 78th Infantry Division's historian. My father's father was in the Navy during WWII serving on a destroyer in the Pacific. We just found his ribbons and Purple Heart Medal which were buried in my parents' basement.

post-15707-1286855741.jpg

post-15707-1286855793.jpg

I've attached images of the six ribbons that he had, but I'm curious that the Unit Citation was not listed on his discharge papers. Were unit awards usually left off of those papers? I am also thinking that he may have been eligible for the Navy Occupation Service Medal, but I'm not positive. Can anyone provide ideas on how to determine that? And finally, I was hoping to request a set of medals for this grandfather, too. He had the six ribbons in the pictures, but the only medal he ever talked about was his Purple Heart. Does the Navy have a similar system to the Army, whereby I could write and request them with a copy of the discharge papers? Would such a request include the Philippine Liberation Medal which, I understand, was not actually an American award? Thanks so much, in advance, for your help. Hopefully, I can leave you all alone after this.

--dave--

U.S. medal collector

The Occupation Service medal is awarded for anyone who served in an area of Occupation for thirty days after the end of hostilities in WW2. You will need to look on the"Enlisted Record of Service and Separation" paperwork of your Grandfather on Number 36 to see his date of departure back to the USA from the Japan Theater of Occupation. Be sure that you point that DATE out to the people at St. Louis. If it is correct for the qualification time for the Occupation Medal, he will receive one ! If you have any questions that you need answered, feel free to email me: [email protected] I am more than happy to help with any questions on someone who is trying to get their relatives medals in order ! George

PS: The Separation paperwork is on the back of the Honorable Discharge for WW2 personnel.

The Occupation Service medal is awarded for anyone who served in an area of Occupation for thirty days after the end of hostilities in WW2. You will need to look on the"Enlisted Record of Service and Separation" paperwork of your Grandfather on Number 36 to see his date of departure back to the USA from the Japan Theater of Occupation. Be sure that you point that DATE out to the people at St. Louis. If it is correct for the qualification time for the Occupation Medal, he will receive one ! If you have any questions that you need answered, feel free to email me: [email protected] I am more than happy to help with any questions on someone who is trying to get their relatives medals in order ! George

PS: The Separation paperwork is on the back of the Honorable Discharge for WW2 personnel.

Thanks a lot! E-mail is on the way.

--dave--

I look forward to seeing an update on this one!! What was your grandfather's rank in WW2? If he was Enlisted, what was his rate?

By the end of the war, my Grandpa was a Shipfitter Third Class. I showed his uniform in another thread, but I'll put it here, too:

post-15707-1286843112.jpg

Thanks for the interest!

--dave--

I'm sure that I'm bothering people with my questions about my grandfathers (here and here), but I have a couple more. My mother's father was in the Army in WWII and I've just sent away to St. Louis to try and get replacement medals for him with the help of the 78th Infantry Division's historian. My father's father was in the Navy during WWII serving on a destroyer in the Pacific. We just found his ribbons and Purple Heart Medal which were buried in my parents' basement.

Dear All,

I'm not sure if the US Militaria Forum is the appropriate place to ask this, but I do have another question regarding my grandpa's ribbons. I've been wondering about the Philippine Republic Presidential Unit Citation and I think it would fall under the purview of this message board since the Philippines was a colony (or Commonwealth or Insular Territory or whatever it was) of the United States at the time of the actions for which the award was created. Anyway, I've seen various places online that list various criteria for this award but can't seem to find any definitive list of units that were awarded this citation. I am trying to find out if my grandpa would have been eligible for this award, and I would appreciate anyone's help in finding out more. He was discharged from the Navy before the award was authorized, so it's not listed on his discharge papers, but I've read that it was awarded retroactively. Thanks so much.

--dave--

I've seen various places online that list various criteria for this award but can't seem to find any definitive list of units that were awarded this citation. I am trying to find out if my grandpa would have been eligible for this award, and I would appreciate anyone's help in finding out more. He was discharged from the Navy before the award was authorized, so it's not listed on his discharge papers, but I've read that it was awarded retroactively.

Perhaps I have an answer to my question of whether the Bennion was awarded the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation (though not an answer to the question of whether there is a definitive list somewhere). This page gives the biography of Admiral Holloway and notes that he was awarded "the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation for his service in Bennion." Presumably all the men on the ship would have been eligible for the same award, including my grandfather. Since this is a Navy website, it seems like that would make sense. Does my reasoning seem faulty to anyone?

--dave--