M1917 revolver WW2 swivel holster

robinb

Here's a different swivel holster for he M1917 revolver. It's defintely not an issue piece by the markings on the back. Named inside to GAVIT, once with a branding iron, and once just lightly carved into the leather. Also inside are 4 lines of hard to read words. They look like a list of his promotions from Lt in 1944 to Lt Col in 1948. I just can't quite make out enough to be sure though.

holster_1.JPG

holster_2.JPG

I knew as soon as 'Find a revolver and your set to go' was said there has to be a nice 1917 to go with it. That's a very nice high quality private purchase holster.

Now when have I ever held out on your guys? The topic is supposed to be about the holster, but since you insist on seeing the revolvers, too, here they are. Both fit the holster just fine.

MVC_096S.JPG

MVC_097S.JPG

Now when have I ever held out on your guys? The topic is supposed to be about the holster, but since you insist on seeing the revolvers, too, here they are. Both fit the holster just fine.

post-61-1286760651.jpg

post-61-1286760660.jpg

The Colt cylinder looks awfully long...is it a M 1909 in 45 Colt or a 1917 in 45 ACP?

Either way its a Beauty just as is the SW.

WB

Robin,

Thanks for showing us the guns, there are beautiful. Can you blame us for wanting to see them.

The Colt is my favorite too. I'm sure both look good in the holster.

The holster looks better then new, and not even a stitch is broken, or a scoff mark on it.

Just normal, honest ware. Thanks for the look.

The Colt cylinder looks awfully long...is it a M 1909 in 45 Colt or a 1917 in 45 ACP?

Either way its a Beauty just as is the SW.

WB

Mr. WB, can you tell from these photo's which is the M1909 and which is the M1917?

MVC_108S.JPG

MVC_109S.JPG

MVC_110S.JPG

There are three ways I can think of from these pics, but I'll refrain from saying... ;)

(I've owned both example in the past..)

Speaking about commercial holsters for the M1917 revolvers, I still have pics of the ones I bought years ago.

This one is very similar to the Robin's one but originally black. I can imagine for Police use. Markings say 1917 and 45

post-67-1286897968.jpg

post-67-1286897985.jpg

post-67-1286897998.jpg

I miss this one on ebay for few bucks. It's the nicest swivel private purchase for the 1917 I've ever seen because it's simply a swiveled M1909.

post-67-1286898758.jpg

post-67-1286898810.jpg

Mr. WB, can you tell from these photo's which is the M1909 and which is the M1917?

post-61-1286857939.jpg

post-61-1286857950.jpg

post-61-1286857955.jpg

I have a 1917 and the commercial version of the 1909, which I regret giving to my son. Both are fine shooting handguns.

Looking closer at your original photos I now see that the Colt is indeed a 1917.

When I made my comment I didn't intend to offend anyone or participate in a guessing game. Please accept my apologies, however, in the 1st pic the top revolver looks like a 1909, as it appears to have a heavy or bull barrel, where as the lower pistol has a tapered barrel which should indicate its a 1917. In the bottom picture it appears the 1909 is on the bottom.

How did I do?

WB

........in the 1st pic the top revolver looks like a 1909, as it appears to have a heavy or bull barrel, where as the lower pistol has a tapered barrel which should indicate its a 1917. In the bottom picture it appears the 1909 is on the bottom.

How did I do?

WB

Actually, you have them reversed...but they are very similar indeed. The 1909 is on the bottom.

The 3 (or rather 4) things that outwardly differ the most about these revolers are the caliber, style of finish, barrel and cartouches.

1909s are a Colt high-polish blue when new, whereas the 1917 has a subdued brush-blue finish.

1909s are .45 Long Colt caliber, 1917's are .45 ACP....

1909s have a straight outer barrel dimension all the way to the frame, whereas the 1917s are slightly tapered and bulge slightly where they attatch to the frame.

All 1909s were inspected by Rinaldo Carr (RAC) and are on the right side of the frame...1917s were cartouched on the left side of the frame in between the cylinder and the hammer...earlier 1917s were JMG in a circle (John Gilbert?) and later versions had the Eagle's head cartouche.

Actually, you have them reversed...but they are very similar indeed. The 1909 is on the bottom.

The 3 (or rather 4) things that outwardly differ the most about these revolers are the caliber, style of finish, barrel and cartouches.

1909s are a Colt high-polish blue when new, whereas the 1917 has a subdued brush-blue finish.

1909s are .45 Long Colt caliber, 1917's are .45 ACP....

1909s have a straight outer barrel dimension all the way to the frame, whereas the 1917s are slightly tapered and bulge slightly where they attatch to the frame.

All 1909s were inspected by Rinaldo Carr (RAC) and are on the right side of the frame...1917s were cartouched on the left side of the frame in between the cylinder and the hammer...earlier 1917s were JMG in a circle (John Gilbert?) and later versions had the Eagle's head cartouche.

In this photo the top revolver appears to have a straight barrel which should indicate it is a M 1909 and the lower one a tapered barrel indicating a M1917. Am I mistaken?

WB

post-6601-1287000626.jpg

In the above photo you refer to, the M1909 Revolver is the one on the top, yes.

My apologies...the photo I referred to in my earlier post was the bottom photo in the series of three, wheres you were going by the top (first photo).... :thumbsup:

In the above photo you refer to, the M1909 Revolver is the one on the top, yes.

My apologies...the photo I referred to in my earlier post was the bottom photo in the series of three, wheres you were going by the top (first photo).... :thumbsup:

Thanks, I didn't think my eyesight had deteriorated that much.

WB

• 2 weeks later...
El Bibliotecario

Very nice, gentlemen. How about one of these MP holsters--do you have one?

post-70-1286963975.jpg

[/quote

Looking at the MP squad with the sunglasses, I now know where Popa Doc Duvalier got his inspiration for the Tonton Macoutes.

I have a similiar swivel holster which came with a M1909 fake USMC Colt I bought at auction. I always assumed itwas a commericl piece of junk

post-2215-1287975496.jpg