Mars Task Force Photo Album

siege1863

here are some scans from

John Randolph Marsmen in Burma showing the Byrd cloth uniform

Trousers being worn by Curtis Knight (on the right)

covered button holes as well as hand pockets just below the belt

post-22-0-06305700-1401039380.jpg

craig_pickrall
here are some scans from

John Randolph Marsmen in Burma showing the Byrd cloth uniform

Trousers being worn by Curtis Knight (on the right)

covered button holes as well as hand pockets just below the belt

img171.jpg

This is a great set of photos you guys are posting. many thanks.

Do you have any idea what type boot the man on the left is wearing. I can't determine if that is a 2 buckle set of leggings or some sort of 2 buckle boots.

I read in one account that the men often wore the jungle boots when in wet areas and then would change to the double-buckle boots when elsewhere. There are a number of photos in the album where you can see the men wearing a mix of footwear.

craig_pickrall
I read in one account that the men often wore the jungle boots when in wet areas and then would change to the double-buckle boots when elsewhere. There are a number of photos in the album where you can see the men wearing a mix of footwear.

What is shown in that photo is non-standard gear though. I can't tell if the 2 buckle item is a legging or if it is attached to the boot but in any case it is not standard gear. It appears to be canvas but it is not either the 1st pattern or 2nd pattern US jungle boot .

What is shown in that photo is non-standard gear though. I can't tell if the 2 buckle item is a legging or if it is attached to the boot but in any case it is not standard gear. It appears to be canvas but it is not either the 1st pattern or 2nd pattern US jungle boot .

Going back through the photos in the album, I also see a number of men wearing the standard leggings. The photos are not detailed enough to see footwear with the straps and buckles as shown above. Interestingly, a number of the officers are wearing jump boots!

This is a great set of photos you guys are posting. many thanks.

Do you have any idea what type boot the man on the left is wearing. I can't determine if that is a 2 buckle set of leggings or some sort of 2 buckle boots.

Gday

That is a pair of cavalry boots,either being worn with the trousers bloused over the top third or they have been shortened to be a quasi jump boot

some mars troopers can be seen in photos wearing double buckle boots,jump boots,jungle boots and good old shoes and leggings

i have a pair of cavalry boots that belonged to a 124th man,the boots he wore in Burma,the soles have been tapped and they have leather laces

As part of the training, the men were made familiar with Japanese munitions. These appear to be artillery and anti-tank rounds.

post-211-1288040802.jpg

post-211-1288040826.jpg

post-211-1288041152.jpg

I still have some 170 photos in the album yet to be shown. However, I am having concerns that there is too little interest to continue. It takes considerable time to clean, scan, resize, watermark, and then post each image. I do have other collections that I can move on to.

craig_pickrall

A thread like this usually draws a lot of lookers but few comments. People don't really know what to say other than "Great set of photos" which has already been said several times. There have been 812 lookers as I post this. That is pretty good interest. It is an excellent album and I hope you will keep posting. Many thanks.

norwegian blue

Hello siege

first thanks for posting these amazing pictures

I've always had a strong interest for the experimental jungle uniforms and I was anxiously waiting for more pictures

so thanks again for posting pictures with close ups of this uniform, as the owner of one pair of these pants, I am now certain that this type was worn by Mars force! FYI, my example is actually made from a material that has a certain percentage of 'artificial fibers in it, that show in the frayed areas

keep em coming,i will chime in if i think i need too

i posted a set of photos from the 475th and it didnt cause a ripple in way of responses but dont be discouraged

Siege,did you get the 475th stuff i emailed you?

sam

I did. I also sent you an email and a pm asking about a list of captains in the 124th.

A thread like this usually draws a lot of lookers but few comments. People don't really know what to say other than "Great set of photos" which has already been said several times. There have been 812 lookers as I post this. That is pretty good interest. It is an excellent album and I hope you will keep posting. Many thanks.

What Craig said! Keep'em coming, your efforts are appreciated :thumbsup:

I did. I also sent you an email and a pm asking about a list of captains in the 124th.

sorry,i have no complete rosters for tghe 124th while overseas

the info i have pertains to the 1st and 2nd Sqns while Stateside

• 2 weeks later...

This is from a 475th grouping i have

the photo is marked as

MY FIGHTING HOLE ON HILL 19

img357-Copy.jpg

gives an overall picture of a Marsman in combat

Note trench knife,jungle 1st aid pack and machete

This is from a 475th grouping i have

the photo is marked as

MY FIGHTING HOLE ON HILL 19