Your favorite/the rarest/the nicest wings you've ever seen:

dg0223

Hi,

I haven't been collecting anywhere near long enough to have any of the rarities seen here, but attached are my favourite Pilot's Wings. They have very European hardware, with a foldup lug that locks the catch in place. The catch is a roundwire "C" catch. The detail of the feathering gets me every time I pick it up - it almost looks hand engraved.

Regards

Mike

Obverse...

Great AAF Pilot wing Mike! The feather detail and pin are very similar to a number of CBI Calcutta-made wings I've seen. Thanks for posting.

Russ

Here are some of my favorites. Juarez Pilot Wings that I purchased shortly after I became a member of the forum from another member and Brit Made Army Air Corps Crew Member Wings. The detail on both are great.

Regards

John

post-5224-1287257716.jpg

post-5224-1287259106.jpg

post-5224-1287259152.jpg

post-5224-1287259171.jpg

Terry-

Here is a picture of that Italian wing being worn over the breast pocket. Coincidentally, it is also marked with a Foggia photo studio impression in the bottom left corner. Sorry, no ID on the pilot...

-Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks, it is my understanding that the US pilots wore the eagle over the left brest when they were breveted by the Italians, as soon as they were commissioned by the US they moved it to the right side to make room for their US wings. The Italians wore the eagle with crown on both sleeves. Attached is a picture of Lt. Forsyth with his on the left over the pocket.

Terry

post-6022-1287273178.jpg

Chuck,

Thanks, it is my understanding that the US pilots wore the eagle over the left brest when they were breveted by the Italians, as soon as they were commissioned by the US they moved it to the right side to make room for their US wings. The Italians wore the eagle with crown on both sleeves. Attached is a picture of Lt. Forsyth with his on the left over the pocket.

Terry

Terry-

You're very welcome. And thank you for the note on the location of the Italian wing before being commissioned in the Air Service. I did not know that! I'll have to jot that down for future reference. Thanks again.

By the way, great picture of Lt. Forsyth. It's always enjoyable to view ID'd period photos. It makes studying the topic much more interesting. Thanks again.

While I have your attention... what do you think of that wing I posted? Ever seen its likeness before? Does it bear any resemblance to something worn by a service member or do you think it could indeed be a sweetheart piece? I really value your input.

-Chuck

Russ-

I almost forgot...thank you for your opinion on what I had posted. It's very much appreciated!

Terry-

You're very welcome. And thank you for the note on the location of the Italian wing before being commissioned in the Air Service. I did not know that! I'll have to jot that down for future reference. Thanks again.

By the way, great picture of Lt. Forsyth. It's always enjoyable to view ID'd period photos. It makes studying the topic much more interesting. Thanks again.

While I have your attention... what do you think of that wing I posted? Ever seen its likeness before? Does it bear any resemblance to something worn by a service member or do you think it could indeed be a sweetheart piece? I really value your input.

-Chuck

Russ-

I almost forgot...thank you for your opinion on what I had posted. It's very much appreciated!

Chuck,

Your enlisted badge is unique indeed. I have seen a couple examples identical to this with the exception that they were smaller in size. I have a tendency to lean towards it being in the "sweetheart" catagory. I say that because of a couple reasons first being that regulations were pretty strictly adhered to during that period and Air Service personnel were particually scrutinized by members of the regular army. With that being said I doubt that any enlisted man would take a chance to wear something that was not authorized. And second I have seen smaller examples that were obviously sweetheart pieces. That does not diminish its value and significance to the insignia of the period. In this size and quality I doubt we will see another anytime soon.

Terry

Chuck,

Your enlisted badge is unique indeed. I have seen a couple examples identical to this with the exception that they were smaller in size. I have a tendency to lean towards it being in the "sweetheart" catagory. I say that because of a couple reasons first being that regulations were pretty strictly adhered to during that period and Air Service personnel were particually scrutinized by members of the regular army. With that being said I doubt that any enlisted man would take a chance to wear something that was not authorized. And second I have seen smaller examples that were obviously sweetheart pieces. That does not diminish its value and significance to the insignia of the period. In this size and quality I doubt we will see another anytime soon.

Terry

Major-

Thank you. It speaks volumes to me when you said we probably won't see another example of the same size & quality any time soon. It sure helps me put it all into perspective.

I have seen my share of sweetheart pieces & I have to admit that this one 'pushes' the limits. After your feedback and that of others, I am leaning towards this being in the sweetheart category after all. It could be something along these lines or maybe something like what John Cooper mentioned- it was made for the enlisted member to be worn after the fact.

Regards,

Chuck