Your favorite/the rarest/the nicest wings you've ever seen:

dg0223

This is my rarest, and is also the most recent addition to the collection...

This is a French made Aeronaut wing, on the uniform. This is attributed to Lt. Louis Starr, one of the first, and few Balloon Observers who had seen action in France... He was a veteran of the Marne-Asne, St. Mihiel, and Meuse-Argonne campaigns.

post-2801-1286740253.jpg

Probably one of the rarest wings that I have ever owned was this Naval Obsever wing in the first pattern. Its the only example (metal or bullion) that I had ever seen that I felt was definitely a period original. This one was truly an awesome example ~ and I have seen some great fakes over the years. This was an SOS find many years ago from a dealer who really didn't understand the rarity of it I think - it was no bargain, but I was thrilled to get it. Enjoy! Dave

post-13150-1286825737.jpg

You guys are a tough act to follow. Lots of beautiful wing badges. I'm almost ashamed to post these. I have two that I feel are somewhat scarce. The first is Lt. Bilderbach's bullion Italian mfg wing. What makes this special to me is the original mfg tag still attached to the reverse of the wing. It has turned rather dark over the years but still an attractive wing. Attached pic are the front, back and a picture of Bilderbach wearing this exact wing.

post-6022-1286853920.jpg

post-6022-1286853940.jpg

post-6022-1286853965.jpg

The second is a bullion Navy wing badge that was worn by Lt. Rolland Corbin, Naval Aviator #621. Lt. Corbin flew air ships between Florida and Cuba on submarine patrol during WW1. Whats unique about these wings is that the wings and shield are silver bullion and the anchor is gold bullion. I have yet to have anyone confirm why the odd color combination. I suspect is is something the air ship pilots wore to distinguish them from heavier than air pilots.

post-6022-1286854204.jpg

Beautiful examples fella's! Terry Lt. Bilderbach's wing is outstanding!

BTW an interesating thought on the Navy wing.

Cheers

John

This wing has been seen before on this forum, but it's one of, if not the most favorite in my collection.Wing is from the Marine Pilot, Lt. (later Captain) Everett Brewer, Squadron 218 (British) in WW1

post-3422-1286998414.jpg

Gents,

What a terrific thread! You've posted some wonderful and truely rare aviation badges. Now, can we beg to see your second and third favorite wings from each of your respective collections? I have the feeling we are just scraping the surface of some spectacular private wing collections! Thanks to you all for posting these examples which many of us have never seen before.

Russ

flyingfortress

The favorite wing in my collection is a small (1 5/8") WWI pilot wing made by William Link Company, Newark, NJ. It is also hallmarked on the pin. I believe it is a

1917 pattern wing. Enjoy the images.

Regards, George

post-6250-1287165281.jpg

post-6250-1287165308.jpg

I'd have to say these are my favorite pair of wings considering they're the only ones I've got. Sorry for the ribbons but it's the only photo of the wings I have. They're sewn onto an English made Ike.

I've gotta admit I would like to get some more wings now though!

IMG_1124.jpg

I'm not saying the ribbons are put together because I've seen out of order ribbons before (mostly campaign and such) but the Purple Heart is out of order. After the mid 1980s, when the precedence of the Purple Heart was upgraded to just below the Bronze Star, its position would be correct. However, before then, and certainly in WW-II, the PH would be just above the campaign medals in precedence.

This is one of my favorite bullion wings, very similiar to Steve's. This particular wing badge was bought in England and worn by Lt. Earl Forsyth. Lt. Forsyth trained in Italy and remained flying the Caproni Bomber with the Italians. Also shown is his Italian wing badge that he wore over his right pocket.

post-6022-1287178761.jpg

post-6022-1287178785.jpg

This is one of my favorite bullion wings, very similiar to Steve's. This particular wing badge was bought in England and worn by Lt. Earl Forsyth. Lt. Forsyth trained in Italy and remained flying the Caproni Bomber with the Italians. Also shown is his Italian wing badge that he wore over his right pocket.

Terry-

Here is a picture of that Italian wing being worn over the breast pocket. Coincidentally, it is also marked with a Foggia photo studio impression in the bottom left corner. Sorry, no ID on the pilot...

-Chuck

post-518-1287184545.jpg

post-518-1287184652.jpg

Ouch! That pair is so nice it hurts. To any collector they are beautiful beyond words.

Several years ago I called a Navy pilot named Charles Dushane, from Haverford, PA, who had been assigned to the Northern Bombing Group that flew Caproni Bombers. He had received training at Malpensa, Italy before ferrying one of those bombers from Milan, Italy to the Naval base at Dunkirk.

During our telephone conversation he told me he had a number of Italian wing badges in his attic, and if I were ever in Haverford he would give me one. I drove 10+ hours and spent half the next day with him, mostly trying to help him locate them but we never did ( :crybaby: ). Fortunately, the trip was not a total lost because I had the presence of mind to take a tape recorder and spent at least two delightful hours just interviewing him.

Enlisted wing? It measures 3" across & has a heavy duty pin/catch on back. My point is, I do not believe it is a sweetheart piece. In my humble opinion, it is too substantial a badge to have been worn on a blouse or a typical everyday shirt. The garment would have started to sag once it was pinned on. That is what leads me to believe it was most likely worn on the wool uniform.

Beautiful detail, if I may say so...

-Chuck

post-518-1287185510.jpg

post-518-1287185542.jpg

IMPERIAL QUEST
Enlisted wing? It measures 3" across & has a heavy duty pin/catch on back. My point is, I do not believe it is a sweetheart piece. In my humble opinion, it is too substantial a badge to have been worn on a blouse or a typical everyday shirt. The garment would have started to sag once it was pinned on. That is what leads me to believe it was most likely worn on the wool uniform.

-Chuck

Chuckster-

A most impressive piece...beautiful.

Hi,

I haven't been collecting anywhere near long enough to have any of the rarities seen here, but attached are my favourite Pilot's Wings. They have very European hardware, with a foldup lug that locks the catch in place. The catch is a roundwire "C" catch. The detail of the feathering gets me every time I pick it up - it almost looks hand engraved.

Regards

Mike

Obverse...

post-11042-1287194009.jpg

Chuckster-

A most impressive piece...beautiful.

Thanks,Steve. I'm hoping I'll get a little more feedback on it because it is one of the more unique badges I've seen. Maybe a one-of? We've talked about that possibility before...

-Chuck

-Chuck

Chuck, I wish I could offer you something constructive about the origin of your piece, but I've never seen one like it before. The pin and catch are sure consistent with a WWI era produced badge.

Thanks for posting it.

Russ