Your favorite/the rarest/the nicest wings you've ever seen:

dg0223

I was looking at the "For Sale" section, and a board member was offering some gorgeous WWII Navy radar wings, and I thought I'd start a thread to ask what some of the nicest and/or rarest wings in your collections are. I collect modern-era wings, but I was just curious what you all have in your collection that may be your favorite piece.

I am kinda partial to those radar wings, and I think the Navy Combat Aircrew wings look nice as well.

If you're not too busy post some of your favorite/rare wings. If there's already a thread like this, please feel free to delete mine.

I'm not saying anything disparaging about the radar observer wings above, but it seems like this would be an easy one to fake. Remove the compass rose from a legit aerial navigator wing, fabricate the radar emblem, attach, done.

I would say that is easier said than done (at least as far as producing something that could fool a collector). And why would you do it? Both wings are in the same range, value-wise.

Honestly, that's what I like about this forum. Just when I think I've seen everything that peaks my interest, someone shows something that completely knocks me over. Then, when you ask a stupid question like "show me your rare wings," people actually respond to your threads.

Considering I'm having a terrible day, I can come in to the forum and take a look at cool things that I have to start looking for to add to my collection.

:D

Considering I'm having a terrible day, I can come in to the forum and take a look at cool things that I have to start looking for to add to my collection.

:D

Then after you get them, you can have a terrible day when the mortgage come due! :w00t:

A couple of USN wings:

pre WW2 made by Gaunt:

Wing_USN_Gaunt_Front.jpgWings_USN_Gaunt_Rev.jpg

WW1 USN (With stars on the shield):

Wings_USN_WW1_Fr.jpg

Wow Kurt! Very nice WWI era Naval Aviator wing with stars in the upper shield. I can certainly understand why it would be one of your favorites.

Russ

A couple of USN wings:

pre WW2 made by Gaunt:

Wing_USN_Gaunt_Front.jpgWings_USN_Gaunt_Rev.jpg

WW1 USN (With stars on the shield):

Wings_USN_WW1_Fr.jpg

Nice wings hombre!

Kurt

IMPERIAL QUEST

It is REALLY tough to choose because the history of the person who wore them influences my "favorite". However, taking that particular factor out of the calculation and basing my choice purely on aesthetics, I would have to say this one (this week); an English made WWI US wing.

The detail is beyond description...

This wing has a special place in my collection. Bold & Beautiful!

Haltom.jpg

Absolutely stunning wings boys!

Since Dad was a navigator, I'm partial to those intricate designs. This Beverlycraft wing has all the right characteristics in my book...highly detailed device design and a wonderful old tone.

post-3515-1286631721.jpg

More interesting additions thanks for posting them Cilff & Paul.

Paul - I agree the BC navigator does have a very nice design combination when looking at the sweep of the wing tips and the details in the shoulders in contrast to the armillary center device.

Cliff - is that a teaser photo? Too small for my eyes to see the details lol

Cheers

John

Cliff - is that a teaser photo? Too small for my eyes to see the details lol

Cheers

John

:crying: Not a teaser John, just an old photo. Here's a fresh one. ^_^

To me none says USAAF any better.

post-4542-1286654011.jpg

Now that a nice photo... it this an attributed wing?

John

Hi John,

Yep, it belonged to Colonel James R. Cunningham. He was Director or Communications, AAF Headquarters, Washington, DC between 1942 and 1944.

Some folks believe this style embroidered badge was made in England; however, they were actually made in the U.S. This particular one was purchased by Colonel Cunningham at Luxenberg's location in Washington, DC. I've also got his Luxenberg "Second Pattern" badge in sterling silver but of the two... this is the one I've always favored. :rolleyes:

-cliff

IMPERIAL QUEST
Hi John,

Yep, it belonged to Colonel James R. Cunningham. He was Director or Communications, AAF Headquarters, Washington, DC between 1942 and 1944.

Some folks believe this style embroidered badge was made in England; however, they were actually made in the U.S. This particular one was purchased by Colonel Cunningham at Luxenberg's location in Washington, DC. I've also got his Luxenberg "Second Pattern" badge in sterling silver but of the two... this is the one I've always favored. :rolleyes:

-cliff

Cliff,

That is a most beautiful wing. If I am seeing correctly, the shoulder areas are formed using a scalloped metal overlay...??? I have NEVER seen that before - unusual and highly skilled craftsmanship.

I'd have to say these are my favorite pair of wings considering they're the only ones I've got. Sorry for the ribbons but it's the only photo of the wings I have. They're sewn onto an English made Ike.

I've gotta admit I would like to get some more wings now though!

IMG_1124.jpg

Hi John,

-cliff

Thanks Cliff - I wonder if you have a photo of the Colonel :think: :thumbsup:

John

I'd have to say these are my favorite pair of wings considering they're the only ones I've got. Sorry for the ribbons but it's the only photo of the wings I have. They're sewn onto an English made Ike.

I've gotta admit I would like to get some more wings now though!

IMG_1124.jpg

Hey that is a nice photo! No worries about the ribbons as it ia all fair game and long as it is realted. You can always post a full shot with the details shots as well.

Cheers

John