Chaplain Airborne Wings?

looks like these were made from a set of jump wings. not sure if original period done, or someone destroyed a nice set of jump wings. Sold on eBay lately. Not a wing guy myself, but I saved the pics, figured it would cause some interesting discussion amongst you wing enthusiasts

_B4BTs3_BWk___KGrHqYOKi4EyZ_fWP_ZBMoR5VCsp____3.jpg

_B4BTuhwCGk___KGrHqUOKjsEyO1nObJbBMoR5bg4dQ___3.jpg

I see a lot of these at flea markets, antique malls, antique shows, and on ebay. During WW II, the entire U.S. Army had around 8,100 chaplains by the end of the war. Given the low number of airborne divisions, it's just not possible that there were that many chaplains wearing modified jump wings. I'm sure some of them are real but with the market flooded with so many of them, I can't help but think nearly all of them are fakes. I just saw two over the weekend at the same flea market. They were soldered onto authentic jump wings. One of them had been soldered onto an authentic Amico jump wing. It's not hard to find them for Jewish Rabbi either and those would have been even scarcer than Chaplain. Even if one finds an ironclad real one, I can't help but think the flood of fakes has ruined the market for them.

I know the fake ones you refer to with the applied cross over the chute...but how about a cross carved out of the chute?

I'm not a wings guy and never would presume to be. However, there is NO evidence that Airborne Chaplains ever had a wing that bore the image of a cross. Now, some Chaplains may have had this done privately but, I think the number would be very small since Army Chaplains were stretched to the limit in their ministries and didn't have time to go looking for a jeweler to make wings for them.

I agree. I think the vast majority (if not all of them) of them are fantasy pieces.

I vote for all fakes/fantasy pieces myself--short of the Chaplain unpinning it off his uniform and handing it to me. Just my opinion.

Patrick

I vote for all fakes/fantasy pieces myself--short of the Chaplain unpinning it off his uniform and handing it to me. Just my opinion.

Patrick

It is amazing how many modified jump wings you see today versus years ago.

• 4 years later...

Wow, old topic here but, since I commented on it in the past, I need to correct something. I spoke with a KW era chaplain who informed me that several chaplains he knew had their wings altered to look like this after they had completed the jump school portion of their training. So, I now stand corrected.

I missed it first time...I think the wing posted with the carved out cross is cool...I have seen a lot of the applied crosses on wings...but I never noticed a lot in this configuration.

I could see the original posted one just being a religious inspired carving done by anyone who bought these wings at a garage sale, flea market, etc.. and thought they would be a great start to a religious pin.

-Brian

• 2 weeks later...

My guess is someone made these wings to deceive collectors as here are two others that I believe were sold on eBay as I kept the photos for my reference. All three have the same raised STERLING hallmark in the same place and utilize the same rear fixings so it is probably not a one of a kind piece made by a very religious trooper as a keepsake . I don't have one in hand but it sort of looks like the cross has a higher relief than the adjacent chute lines which shouldn't be this way if you simply "carved" out the cross from the center chute. Unless of course you went to the trouble of carving the cross out and removed material from the sides thus eliminating the original chute lines and added them in afterwards.

post-1389-0-72788800-1428424328.jpg

post-1389-0-27960700-1428424340.jpg

post-1389-0-49495900-1428424348.jpg

post-1389-0-43330900-1428424363.jpg

I have a supposed Chaplain paratrooper wing in my collection which I bought at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona, California, around 1980 to 1981. They are pin back with the winged Robbins logo in a square on the reverse. They looked very convincing however I found out that they were made up by someone a few years later when I came across 4 to 5 of them on a table at a show and one was even gold plated. Very disappointing but you live and learn so I am very leery of buying anything that is attached to US paratrooper wings.

post-1389-0-15376400-1428424757.jpg

The fact that a chaplain altered his wings is kind of cool. Wonder what happened during inspections or in formations?