Nam Era PACV Beret

M60 Driver

A vet came into my store over a year ago who was a veteran of the hovercrafts (PACV) in Vietnam and was a volunteer on the restoration work on such a craft going on north of my town. Today he stopped by when I was out and dropped of this beret. I am not sure if he is looking to sell or just get an idea of value. But it is certainly worth posting and asking for the thoughts of others whose interests might be more focused on the brown water guys.

post-779-1286395231.jpg

I believe Scott Kraskas book on Viet river patrol insignia shows a beret with a similar flash. If it is good this this is one scarce puppy. The Luong Tan tag looks good also and Is this not Cheap Charlies real name?

The veteran came by today to pick up his beret, just wanted to show it to me, not interested in selling.. He had purchased two berets in Saigon, one to wear and the other as a souvenir keepsake. He was Navy, serving in Coastal Division 17 in Dong Tam.

River Patrol

The only other one I've seen was a black wool beret. This one being green is uber kool!

• 11 months later...

Excellent item... never seen one. Thanks for sharing.

As far as looking "too new"... it's just been well cared for. Bullion can escape tarnish if it is kept out of the air. The label is excellent, and as far as I know not one that has been reproduced.

• 8 years later...

Guys, this beret is real inside and out. I say this because I own one with the ribbon cut because my dad saw combat as the maintenance officer for the 3 Navy PACV's during their second test and eval deployment. We need to draw a clear line between the British-built SRN-5's that the Navy had and the later US built Army ACV's. Perhaps the Army had black berets? I'd like to get in contact with the vet who dropped his beret off at the Bellingham Maritime Museum because I've compiled much data /pictures for a historical website about the 2nd deployment. Mike Granat was the owner up there in Bellingham of that last surviving Navy PACV, which has since been sold to the Yank's Air Museum in Chino Hills, CA. I'm in San Diego, CA

at your service,

Tim Comeau AT1 USN (ret.)