USAF uniforms updating

Bluehawk

by Brad Jessmer

Air Force Uniform Office

9/28/2010 - WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio (AFNS) -- With many phaseout and mandatory wear dates approaching, the look of Air Force uniforms will change slightly over the next year. Here are a few dates to remember for uniform and policy changes.

As of the following dates, wear of the listed uniform items will be phased out:

Oct. 1, 2010

-- 100 percent wool pullover sweater, replaced with the looser fitting, smooth fabric pullover sweater

-- 2EXXX, 3AXXX and 3CXXX legacy badges

-- Green fleece used as outer garment without name, service designator and rank

-- Black fleece

Dec. 31, 2010

-- Gray and dark blue scarves, gloves, mittens and earmuffs

Oct. 1, 2011

-- 33S legacy badges

Nov. 1, 2011

-- Battle Dress Uniform

-- Desert Camouflage Uniform

-- Tan boots (excluding Airmen deployed to the area of responsibility)

Wear of the Airman Battle Uniform and ABU items will be mandatory as of Nov. 1, 2011.

As of Oct. 1, 2010, the optional green fleece without nametapes and rank may only be worn as a liner to the All-Purpose Environmental Clothing System. If worn as an outer garment, the green fleece must have the Airman's name, Air Force tape and rank attached.

For more information on uniform items, visit the Air Force uniform website at http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/dress/index.asp.

Robswashashore

I'm sorry, but everytime they do a USAF uni change I like it less! Hate the ABU, miss the BDU and DCUs. Before that, missed the old OD with subdued. Before that, missed the OD with full color.

I shudder to think what they will come up with next.

It does, however, keep giving me something new to collect. (But I can't see ever collecting the ABU -- not enough patches!)_

I'm sorry, but everytime they do a USAF uni change I like it less! Hate the ABU, miss the BDU and DCUs. Before that, missed the old OD with subdued. Before that, missed the OD with full color.

I shudder to think what they will come up with next.

You are not alone... in fact, it has become embarrassing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Air Force has never had a very sure-fire method of uniform development. The Army has had a fairly purpose driven system of choosing new uniforms and equipment, at least for the field. But the Air Force Uniform Board just convenes every so often and votes on a list of suggestions sent in by airmen or handed down from generals.