Government EGA Manufacturing

Alec

I wanted to try and get the opinion of the forum members as to whether they felt Officer's EGAs were procured or issued by the Corps prior to WWI.

I am planning a trip to the Archives again soon and hope to weed out some new EGA info.

Alec - To my knowledge the procurement of uniform items for officers of all branches of the service has always been the responsibility of the individual officer. Cash allowances are made to permit the purchase of authorized items manufactured to the standards of the service,

Regarding USMC insignia of old, the individual officer purchased from a private manufacturer or seller the appropriate badges for his uniform.

Today such insignia may be purchased in the Exchange as a convenience or through a military tailor but not through the government uniform store (Cash Sales).

My 2-Cents......Semper Fi......Bobgee

Officer Insignia is today sold at Cash Sales, in Camp Lejeune. there is no Cash Sales here in Parris Island

Alec,

I say that "no", officers were not issued insignia. I had a paper to a soon to be commissioned 2nd Lt in 1917 that told him what he was to buy, and it included insignia. I think Dennis Jackson now owns the paperwork (part of a huge trunk lot I had acquired some time ago). It mentioned tht he was authorized to purchase enlisted versions of certain items, like the greatcoat and campaign hat, if officer version was unobtainable.

S/F,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

1895 USMC Depot Receiving document. I assume you EGA collectors might find this interesting. I am not aware of any suppliers being known or at least proven identified has come to light prior to WWI.

post-7194-1283838248.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It seems that the US Mint was striking EGAs for the Marine Corps in the 1930s. I assuem this would account for some of the unmakred varieties. I also have proof the US Mint struck GCMs for the Marine Corps.

I can only assume this might be some interesting information for the EGA collectors.

It seems that the US Mint was striking EGAs for the Marine Corps in the 1930s. I assuem this would account for some of the unmakred varieties. I also have proof the US Mint struck GCMs for the Marine Corps.

I can only assume this might be some interesting information for the EGA collectors.

Absolutely interesting Alec! Have not heard of U.S. Mint struck USMC emblems. Keep us posted!

Semper Fi.....Bob

I think I know where the Contracts are being kept at NARA. I don't even plan on writing about EGAs so not sure why I am wasting money finding the info. Will pass on to Fred who is completing his works so it will go to good use at least.

teufelhunde.ret
It seems that the US Mint was striking EGAs for the Marine Corps in the 1930s.

Alec, was this procurement correspondence on US Mint or USMC QM initiative? And do we know which Office initiated the idea?

Alec, was this procurement correspondence on US Mint or USMC QM initiative? And do we know which Office initiated the idea?

IT WAS MARINE CORPS DISCUSSING IF THEY SHOULD GET THEIR DIES BACK FROM MINT. MY RESEARCHERIS GOING INTO MINT RECORDS NEXT WEEK. MAYBE HE'LL FIND A DIE.

• 3 weeks later...
teufelhunde.ret
No correspondence found in Mint Records other than shooting badges.

Well I suppose that was a long shot, at least that source is eliminated. Thx for the update!