CAPTURED JU-88

BEAST

This photo was taken in Italy and the aircraft was flown to Freeman Field, near Indianapolis, Indiana where many captured aircraft were taken for testing. The aircraft is marked with the 86th Fighter Squadron markings, but have been obliterated by the censor. If you look close, you can see that the censor also marked out the patch on the A-2.

post-203-1286306831.jpg

General Apathy
This photo was taken in Italy and the aircraft was flown to Freeman Field, near Indianapolis, Indiana where many captured aircraft were taken for testing. The aircraft is marked with the 86th Fighter Squadron markings, but have been obliterated by the censor. If you look close, you can see that the censor also marked out the patch on the A-2.

post-203-1286306831.jpg

Hi Beast, great photo, love both the plane and the uniforms of the two flyer's :thumbsup:

ken

Cobrahistorian

Great photo Erick! Somewhere in my library, I've got a photo of the 86th FS nose art that's painted on this airplane. I've gotta look into the fate of this particular airplane. I'm pretty sure it still exists in the NASM or NMUSAF collections.

Jon

Is this the one that was "brought out" by a defecting Romanian pilot?

If so, that aircraft is preserved in amuseum and I have seen it (in Romanian insignia). Now, WHICH museum? First GUESS: USAF Museum at Wright-Pat OH.

Is this the one that was "brought out" by a defecting Romanian pilot?

If so, that aircraft is preserved in amuseum and I have seen it (in Romanian insignia). Now, WHICH museum? First GUESS: USAF Museum at Wright-Pat OH.

According the the USAF Museum website, they have this plane displayed as you describe.

Check out

http://www.indianamilitary.org

Click the Freeman AAF button at the top of the page

Then there is a list of the aircraft flown at the Foreign Evaluation test center on the left

They appear to have had several ju-88s. Looks like a fun flying assignment

• 1 month later...