M17 Gas Mask - How do you wear the carrier/bag?

Commissar

I realize its an odd question, but I just don't know. I realize youre supposed to put the larger strap over your neck, but I cant figure out what the smaller strap is for. Ive been searching for a photo or something, and Ive been able to find nothing. If someone could explain or link to a photo, I would appreciate it! :think:

well, I certainly got that one wrong. thanks

Oh, and when it comes to the gas mask itself.......it covers your face. :w00t:

The larger strap goes around your waist, the smaller one around your thigh. Usually the left side.

Chris

When you put the smaller strap around your left thigh, you feed the strap through the smaller ring and then up to clip on the larger waist band D-ring. It can be worn around your neck and on your side, then the smaller strap goes around your waist. Either configuration is acceptable, but when wearing field gear, the around the neck method doesn't work very well.

El Bibliotecario

There are two ways to wear this encumberance to movement:

(1) Strap over the left right shoulder (reverse for left handers), small strap around the gut. This is the fastest way to access the mask, and would be a good idea if you were going through the gas chamber.

(2) Strap around the waist and the mask on the left hip (reversed for left handers), small strap around the left thigh. This is more comfortable, but takes a few seconds longer to access.

In my experience, I don't recall ever seeing anyone bothering with fastening the smaller strap in a field environment in either position.

There are two ways to wear this encumberance to movement:

(1) Strap over the left right shoulder (reverse for left handers), small strap around the gut. This is the fastest way to access the mask, and would be a good idea if you were going through the gas chamber.

(2) Strap around the waist and the mask on the left hip (reversed for left handers), small strap around the left thigh. This is more comfortable, but takes a few seconds longer to access.

In my experience, I don't recall ever seeing anyone bothering with fastening the smaller strap in a field environment in either position.

You can't reverse the mask on the leg or on the chest and wear it on the right, it was only designed to be worn on the left side of the body, lefties be damed. If you try wearing it on the right side, the opening flap will be on the inside and damn near impossible to get open, especially the newer masks that had the velcro with the pull tab. As for the smaller strap, if you didn't fasten it, the damn thing would flop and flail all over the place when you ran. The small strap, if worn as described above, actually did a very good job of keeping the case in one spot, not flopping around, or sliding around the leg.

You can't reverse the mask on the leg or on the chest and wear it on the right, it was only designed to be worn on the left side of the body, lefties be damed. If you try wearing it on the right side, the opening flap will be on the inside and damn near impossible to get open, especially the newer masks that had the velcro with the pull tab. As for the smaller strap, if you didn't fasten it, the damn thing would flop and flail all over the place when you ran. The small strap, if worn as described above, actually did a very good job of keeping the case in one spot, not flopping around, or sliding around the leg.

OK, I need to correct my last statement. The M-17 was designed to be worn on the left leg and opened with the left hand. You pull the flap from right to left, so if the bag is on the right side, you have to either cross draw open the bag or you have to do it with your right hand and the pull snaps dont work well that way. Also, the padding, the leg strap, and even the main strap are designed for left side useage and using the waist strap on the right side pulls tension and makes it that much harder to open the cover flap. So, I'm not saying it can't be done, just not practical and you look like a miserable dork SGM magnet, wearing it on the right side.

ww2reproductions

And if you think thats fun try changing the filters whilst in a gas enviroment :thumbdown: :blink:

Yes we had to do it and I can tell you we practiced lots!

Leo

gasmaskbag.jpg

desert5.jpg

cheers ken

There, great picture. take that thin strap that is snapped to the ring, run it around the leg, and through that ring and then up to the big waist ring and that is how you wear it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.