post-8038-1286578637.jpg

shrapneldude
Now here is a real ribbon rack.

Does anyone know who's it is?

Johnny R.

The right honorable Lewis B. Chesty Puller, Lt.Gen. USMC. :thumbsup:

johnnyrocket

Your right shrapneldude.

Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller (26 June 1898 – 11 October 1971) was an officer in the United States Marine Corps. Puller is the most decorated U.S. Marine in history, and the only Marine to receive five Navy Crosses, the United States Navy's and Marines' highest decoration for valor. (The Medal of Honor is awarded not by the military services but by the President of the United States on behalf of Congress.)

Johnny R.

post-8038-1286626233.jpg

• 1 month later...
Here's a picture of everything that I got with this. I agree with everyone. Definately a poser. Hope he wasn't planning to sew on the CIB too!!

Regarding the rack, and the nature of the awards, I recalled a Newsweek article about "decoration inflation" in how today's military bestows more decorations on its servicemen and women than in times past - but not so much for heroic acts - rather for more mundane actions, such as tours overseas or completion of training. I personally think it is really neat how you can look at a rack and are given a visual resume of the wearer's military career. However, in this time of war, heroism decorations (e.g. Silver and Bronze Stars) are being awarded less and perhaps the "pyramid of honor" needs a re-look.

As an aside, a pithy article that came out of the Combined Arms Center Blog that treats the subject somewhat (and it is worth reading the comments):

http://usacac.army.mil/blog/blogs/scp/arch...ctors-quot.aspx

One thing that I'm curious about is: when did the Navy stop allowing sewn-on ribbons with spaces between rows (like the Royal Navy)? It seemed to be in vogue during the Second World War and then suddenly stopped around the Korean War.