WW2 Econo lead EGA's

usmc-collector

Hello all,

The matched pair of emblems in this post are both mid to late WWII "EconoLead" emblems. This type of lead alloy cast emblem came into being at the same time as the WWII bakelite (plastic) emblems.

Any USMC emblem found in cast lead, alloy materials (pot metal) or molded bakelite (plastic) can be considered WWII in manufacture ( late 1943 on) because of the strategic metals ban on brass, bronze and copper for insignia manufacturing.

Semper Fi,

Gary

• 7 months later...
teufelhunde.ret

Had never sought out these econo-lead varieties before joining the forum and began to see others posted here. Find them very interesting, note... the service uniform globe has a tilt reminesent of the French collar varieties of WW1.

Which one of these spinners is the correct one for these lead varieties? Thanks.

s/f Darrell

8.15.07_004.jpg

8.15.07_008.jpg

Darrell,

I think your roller nuts are both correct for the Econo Lead emblems. I am fairly certain that the makers used pretty much what was on hand.

This complete set came together and as you can see, the cover emblem has the same zinc 6-pointed "flower" roller that your emblem has. These 6-pointers are slightly different in size and design to the more common WWII 12-pointed zinc "flower" roller nuts. If you check, you'll notice that the 6-pointers won't fit on the standard M37 bronze emblems, unless, of course, you force them.

I've also noticed that many of the collar emblems in both service and dress have small brass rollers. Because the screwposts on many of these Econo Lead emblems seem to be slightly thinner than standard emblems, you'll also notice that these brass rollers will not work on standard M37 bronze emblems, so I'm fairly confident that they are original to the emblems. I believe some of the Wosk horde on eBay has this type of roller nut on their Econo Lead emblems that were sold during WWII.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1187308667.jpg

post-84-1187308690.jpg

post-84-1187308707.jpg

Here is a service collar emblem that came in a Paramarine's grouping years ago. I don't know if the roller is original to the emblem, but I've seen quite a few of this type "steel flower" roller nut on WWII US Army Econo Lead hat emblems, so I'm guessing it most likely is original to this emblem.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1187308944.jpg

post-84-1187308958.jpg

And finally, a few different styles of the dress emblems in Econo Lead. All four came with the same type of small brass roller nut. Notice that some of these Econo Leads have reinforcement tabs between the anchor and globe at one point or other, just like the plastics. I also have one of the odd types with continents lining up with the anchor rather than having them lined up correctly.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1187309364.jpg

post-84-1187309379.jpg

post-84-1187309395.jpg

post-84-1187309410.jpg

post-84-1187309431.jpg

post-84-1187309449.jpg

• 8 months later...

been looking for a nice matched pair for awhile, finally got these. One is a little more arched than the other, seeing as lead bends easily. Not the 'drunken' version, but a nice pair with intact rollers.

Lead_Pair_Front.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Nice matched pair... indeed the lead ones are becoming increasingly difficult to find matched.

• 3 weeks later...

here's another pair I picked up at the show, on a card. it was cut in half to sell as singles :(. However, I think someone just pushed them on an extra card, as it is small and the emblems rub together. Or was that the norm. Any ideas as to if the card is original to the emblems?

Carded_Lead_Front.JPG

Carded_Lead_Rear.JPG

teufelhunde.ret

Still a nice find... BTW those screwback posts look like the extra long variety & very unusual to see brass rollers on these.

• 2 months later...

I searched the EGA section for a little while to see if there were any matching styles to these enlisted p37 EGAs, but didn't see any (probably right in front of my nose). Has anyone encountered this style that takes on a silver/gold tone and seems to be made of pot metal (very malleable). I picked up three sets of these that all have the same toning. They come with oxidized rollers suited for p37 dress EGAs (not the scalloped type) and have a cross reenforcement on the interior. Also, as an oddity, each of the right facing birds feature globes where the continents are WAY off axis- lining up with the anchors not the eagle. I would assume they are earlier versions with cut out loops to the anchor, but the lack of quality and rough edges seem almost like a wartime expediency measures.

Thank you,

Ken

post-99-1219071100.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Ken, they are indeed unique variety, AKA "econo-lead" types. Interestingly enough very hard to find not all bent up and broken. I have some singles I'm still waiting to"mate". Its been said they "made in mexico"... ? Beats me. And you will often times yourself in a battle on ebay trying to win a set. This past 12 months, nice matched pairs like these have been pulling down 75-100 at final bell.

Here's the thread's in Ref.Sec. devoted to these gems: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...p?showforum=518

s/f Darrell

Thanks, Darrell...I was looking inthe P37 section..duh...lead EGAs...as expected it was right there in front of my nose! I would think matching these up would be kind of a pain since the toning is so unique to each pair.

Thanks for the link again!

Ken

• 9 months later...

Here are two matched EGA's which, to my novice eye, appear to be the M1937 pattern enlisted EGA. I am perplexed , though, because these have the "eyelet" in the anchor, and a brass, circular nut on the back, not the "flower" type that are on the earlier examples. Is this a late WWII example?

I also have a WWII 1st Marine Division uniform group in the collection which has this same style nut on its EGA (No eyelet on the anchor). Is that correct? Is this style considered late WWII?

Sorry for the poor quality pictures -

post-2801-1245256016.jpg

post-2801-1245256026.jpg

The nuts or rollers on the back mean nothing in terms of a piece's age because Marines would get different EGA's over the years and not spend much time worrying about putting the "correct" roller on the correct EGA.

teufelhunde.ret
Here are two matched EGA's which, to my novice eye, appear to be the M1937 pattern enlisted EGA. I am perplexed , though, because these have the "eyelet" in the anchor, and a brass, circular nut on the back, not the "flower" type that are on the earlier examples. Is this a late WWII example?

I also have a WWII 1st Marine Division uniform group in the collection which has this same style nut on its EGA (No eyelet on the anchor). Is that correct? Is this style considered late WWII?

Sorry for the poor quality pictures -

The answers for the most part are answered here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...showtopic=14110

Yes, these econo-lead emblems would have been late WW2 as well. In large part, the "issue" emblems were seen with a closed anchor ring (cheaper to make for contract purposes). And typically, those seen & ID'ed as "private purchase" enlisted emblems had an open anchor ring. s/f Darrell

• 11 months later...
shrapneldude

post-1424-1275680238.jpg

post-1424-1275680244.jpg

post-1424-1275680251.jpg

Would like to get some opinions from the experts on this one if possible. It came in a huge pile of WWII through Desert Storm USMC stuff. I dug through the reference section and couldn't find one that looked like this one.

with the fragility of lead, my guess is it's not trenched, it's bent. Trenching would've risked snapping it